Mental Block

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Greero
PV Newbie

Mental Block

Unread postby Greero » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:20 pm

I am a senior and this is my third year vaulting. My PR is only 11'6", but around here the competition isn't too good so its decent. My problem is that, every once and a while, I develope a mental block. This is the second or third time this has happend to me, the other being right before and during state last year. Everything is going well and I am able to jump for a while until I start letting go of my pole right before the plant and run on through into the pit. So far this has been happening for a little over a week. I get extremely frustraited when this happends becuase I feel like I am wasting my time and I can't understand why I am bailing out at the last second every time. I am disappointed in myself because I will run my approach and never jump for 2 hours before giving up and going home. I know my steps are right and even if they were just a little off I should still be able to jump successfully. I know I have jumped countless times, but right now I would go balistic for one jump. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to get back in the swing of things?

jump!
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'3"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: Mental Block

Unread postby jump! » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:33 pm

i'm a junior third year vaulter. I've had that happen to me a few times too, so you're no alone. i know that when this kind of thing happens to me, I like to go back to a shorter step mark. (say you're running a 7 step, move up to a 5 or even 3) Go down on your pole and just work on getting a good solid jump in. It never hurts to review your fundamentals. Just jump a 3 step, get through it, and move back to a 5, then a 7. It's worked for me every time. Running through your steps over and over won't help though.

Greero
PV Newbie

Unread postby Greero » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:52 pm

That makes a lot of sense. I've been stupidly running over and over with no change. Would I have to straight pole from a 3?

jump!
PV Newbie

Unread postby jump! » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:55 pm

Unless you're some kind of freak, there's no way you can bend on a 3 step. But that's unimportant for the moment. I would just focus on planting and rowing through. Don't even bother to turn. You can just land on your butt in the pit. Once you're comfortable, move back.

Greero
PV Newbie

Unread postby Greero » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:05 pm

Thanks! I'm gonna try this next time I jump. Hopefully Ill be back on track by my meet Tuesday

jump!
PV Newbie

Unread postby jump! » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:09 pm

Good luck to ya!

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”