Pre Classic

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

tdtb
PV Nerd
Expertise: Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker

Pre Classic

Unread postby tdtb » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:40 pm

Can anyone tell me if the men are jumping in the Pre. It has women on the events, but no men? Looks like they are trying to not let any men have a chance in the Diamond league, Pole Vault that is??????

Erica
PV Whiz
Expertise: Olympian

Re: Pre Classic

Unread postby Erica » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:50 am

The men and women will have an equal number of diamond league meets in all events, but mens and womens will not be held at the same meets. For a full rundown on how the Diamond Leauge works, go to www.diamondleague.com. The other American diamond leauge meet is New York, which will have men's pole vault but not womens.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:11 am

I was a little surprised, I thought that the men would be at Pre and the women at New York, based on shoe contracts and where a lot of the top US vaulters live (Jenn/adidas in NY, Brad/Nike on the west coast). But that's not how it worked out, and the fields will probably be at least half foreign, probably more for the women.

VaultLove
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultLove » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:22 am

I cannot recall any recent activity from Jenn or Brad? why would anyone put them on a bill for coming anywhere? Does it make sense to rely on either?

rainbowgirl28 wrote:I was a little surprised, I thought that the men would be at Pre and the women at New York, based on shoe contracts and where a lot of the top US vaulters live (Jenn/adidas in NY, Brad/Nike on the west coast). But that's not how it worked out, and the fields will probably be at least half foreign, probably more for the women.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:01 am

VaultLove wrote:I cannot recall any recent activity from Jenn or Brad? why would anyone put them on a bill for coming anywhere? Does it make sense to rely on either?

Maybe not today, but when they were first planning these events, that was less obvious. Plus, isn't there a strong Russian community in New York? I seem to recall that being a draw when Isi came there a few years ago.

My guess is fans in Eugene would slightly prefer Brad over Isi and Jenn, and fans in New York the opposite. But either way, there will be good fields at both events.

VaultLove
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultLove » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:10 pm

well, the Russian community in NY are not athletics savy. Jamaican community sells the place out, though. eugene on the other hand is special. knowlegable and like any other track savy city, appreciated world record. men will not give them that.

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
VaultLove wrote:I cannot recall any recent activity from Jenn or Brad? why would anyone put them on a bill for coming anywhere? Does it make sense to rely on either?

Maybe not today, but when they were first planning these events, that was less obvious. Plus, isn't there a strong Russian community in New York? I seem to recall that being a draw when Isi came there a few years ago.

My guess is fans in Eugene would slightly prefer Brad over Isi and Jenn, and fans in New York the opposite. But either way, there will be good fields at both events.

trackpole
PV Newbie

Unread postby trackpole » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:21 pm

I'm pretty sure when 6.04 was jumped in 2008, they appreciated that. And if it were a diamond league event, Hooker would most likely be there, so another 6m plus jump is a reality.

tdtb
PV Nerd
Expertise: Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker

Unread postby tdtb » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:25 am

I'm pretty sure when 6.04 was jumped in 2008, they appreciated that. And if it were a diamond league event, Hooker would most likely be there, so another 6m plus jump is a reality.trackpole
PV Newbie

If you think Hooker is the only one that can do this, THINK AGAIN. Walker is still around.

polevaulter08nw
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:27 pm

thats why he said ANOTHER 6m guy
PR: 5.40
Indiana University '13
University of North Carolina '12

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”