Pyramid sets

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
ILPV
PV Newbie
Expertise: High school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11 feet
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Steven Hooker

Pyramid sets

Unread postby ILPV » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:46 pm

Hey guys i have a quick weightlifting question for you

over the summer i started hitting the weights to gain some strength and i started using pyramid sets which are reps of 10x8x6x4
i was wondering if anybody else used this method or if anybody knew of any advantages or disadvantages that can come with this set system

thnx
ILPV

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Re: Pyramid sets

Unread postby VaultPurple » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:04 pm

That is kind of what we use at my college. But only kind of. What I mean by that it is use as like a transistion point. We start the beginning of the season-preseason (about 4 weeks), doing high rep low weight (well whatever you can do the given amount of times and finish). So like 3X10 of bench or squat or other things. Now we are in a transition phase and do like 10x8x6. We will slowly decrease the reps and increase the weight until around December or January where we will go to like 2x2x2x2 of heavey weight.

ILPV
PV Newbie

Unread postby ILPV » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:12 pm

thats really good to know on the topic of weightlifting i have another question though that i was hoping someone could help me with
im doing high bar 3 times a week and i have 5 exercises
1. feet to hands 2x8
2. total inversion 2x6
3. bubkas 2x5
4. windshield wipers 2x20
5. stallers 2x10
and also a ab routine that i change around too frequently to write down
this is starting to feel easy and i was wondering if i should go to 3 sets or just increase the reps on each exercise?

ILPV

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:43 pm

ILPV, I don't know why you're asking these questions twice ... here, and on this thread: http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18590

Maybe you wanted to bump these questions, to get a reply? This is your thread, so why abandon it? :confused:

I don't understand a couple of your drills. What's "stallers", and what do you mean by "total inversion"?

I don't see any SWINGING drills on your list. You need to do more drills that simulate a real vault. Check out the "hinge whip highbar drill" by searching for those words.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Run2Niels
PV Fan
Expertise: Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Sergey Bubka

Unread postby Run2Niels » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:29 am

Just don't train weights too much in the 6-12 rep-zone. It will create strength through muscle growth and you don't want the extra pounds.
When you're body is adjusted to weight training, you need to do max-strenght training. Like for instance 4x2 as vaultpurple mentioned. This wil create strength without extra body mass.
But don't you have a coach who can make strength programs specially tuned for polevaulting?

xjoeyx
PV Whiz
Expertise: Current College Vaulter, BIG FAN
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson, Jeff Hartwig

Unread postby xjoeyx » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:32 pm

i have absolutely no full-time coach for pole vault. my head track coach is a thrower. so for me i really have no clue what im doing except for what i read on here (believe me i spend more time on here reading then i do doing homework sometimes haha :P )

EDIT: I do have a coach, I get to vault with Coach Shealy about once a week he's a great mind and he really helps me a lot http://www.rspvsports.com :yes:
"You can have confidence without success but you can't have success without confidence"

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:40 am

xjoeyx wrote:i have absolutely no full-time coach for pole vault. my head track coach is a thrower. so for me i really have no clue what im doing except for what i read on here (believe me i spend more time on here reading then i do doing homework sometimes haha :P )

EDIT: I do have a coach, I get to vault with Coach Shealy about once a week he's a great mind and he really helps me a lot http://www.rspvsports.com :yes:

Em? xjoeyx are you the same guy as ILPV? because this post does not really seem to fit if you are two separate people...

But on the fact of lifting, as saying your coach was a thrower. I think vaulters should lift more like throwers than sprinters as far as upper body. Everything in the vault needs to be quick and explosive like a throw, you just do not need to bulk up so you can bench 500lb.

I know a thrower that is only 180lb with a 315 clean, 360 bench, and 700 squat... Id love to see how explosive he could be off the top of a pole given the right training (ps. he also runs sub 11 100 FAT.

xjoeyx
PV Whiz

Unread postby xjoeyx » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:50 pm

welll actually i was going to post a thread on this. haha ILPV kinda beat me to it though. my coach has me doing 8 sets of 4 for power cleans right now and 10 sets of 10 for squats. But i was told it would benefit me more to do pyramid sets for certain parts of the body(e.g. bench, shrugs, military press) and i was wondering if that was true or if i should just stick with what my coach has outlined. I've never really gained mass from lifting. So if anyone has more insight or advice on to how i should lift for upper body if not doing pyramids then I'm more than happy to listen.(Sorry ILPV i'm not trying to take over your thread here haha) Oh and BTW i only go to the weight room maybe twice a week at max. I spend more time on a high bar and doing core excersizes. (I really need to work on my highbar skills the most from last year imo.)
"You can have confidence without success but you can't have success without confidence"

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:50 am

xjoeyx wrote: ... i only go to the weight room maybe twice a week at max. I spend more time on a high bar and doing core excersizes. (I really need to work on my highbar skills the most from last year imo.)

:yes: :idea: :yes: :idea: :yes:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

xjoeyx
PV Whiz

Unread postby xjoeyx » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:29 am

haha yes i have read on pvp long enough and heard it from my coach enough to know that highbar is basically my number 1 priority. :yes:

ILPV
PV Newbie

Unread postby ILPV » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:44 pm

So guys I need your advice
I stuck with my original training routine and now I'm at 145 when I use to be at 140 (I'm about 5"11 6 feet tall btw)
What i'm thinking about though is that the poles I have are only a 13 and 13'6 both 145 skypoles and these are the only poles I'll have for my Indoor season
So I really want to change my lifting split because I don't want to get any heavier right now
But I really have no idea what split I should use so I was wondering if I could help a tip or nod in the right direction

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:08 pm

Stop lifting. :yes:
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”