The next generation?

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

kev44000
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt & Mark Hollis

Re: The next generation?

Unread postby kev44000 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:54 am

Run2Niels wrote:no, not much interest...let us just forget about the US polevaulters... :P

When are you coming to the Netherlands, Altius? :)

Let us just forget about the US pole vaulters. What is that suppose to mean. I hope that was a joke. If not what a stupid statement to make!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:57 pm

hehehehehe

sometimes i think it's kind of like marketing... some threads are just to "keep your name" out there...

i guess i'm guilty too..

dj

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:57 pm

Kev, you need to chill out a bit when you see something silly like that followed by the tongue-in-cheek icon (" :P").

On the positive side (wrong thread ... I know ... but I didn't want to overdo the praise! ;)), I'm EXTREMELY impressed with you organizing the ORU Halloween Vault. Not only were you the "model dad" for supporting Jack throughout his HS career, but you're continuing that right into college. Kudos to you! :yes:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:28 pm

altius wrote:Just a thought - what is needed to help the next generation of US vaulters - folk like Niedermeyer, Mondshein and Hollis for example move to world class -ie 5.80 plus?

Well you can add more energy into the system by getting faster and stronger. The other is to become more technically effecient, making small subtle fundamental changes. Some U.S vaulters aren't doing so and ignore basic errors. I have seen improvements in all of these guys models especiall Niedenmyer sp?.. One small ignored error will most likely cause problems throughout the rest of the jump.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:33 am

"sometimes i think it's kind of like marketing... some threads are just to "keep your name" out there...
i guess i'm guilty too..:

No longer need to keep MY name out there dj - you become famous when you write a book!

The reason I started the thread was that if/when Derek Miles retires there is not much left at the top end of US vaulting. That is not the end of the world - as things go in cycles -once Hooker goes we will be struggling even more than the US. Just happens I spent some time talking with Mondshein, Niedermeyer, Hollis and his coach in Reno this year after their comp and i was impressed with their commitment and desire to make it to the top - wondering what they needed to get there. It is not simply about technique, although it is an issue, it is the whole support structure involved. While Steve did very well in his environment in Melbourne with Mark Stewart he is obviously better able to fulfil his potential with a full time coach and working as a full time athlete. On page 9 of BTB2 (now there is some marketing dj) I outline the perfect environment if athletes are to fulfil their potential - how many of the boxes are ticked for the athletes I mentioned above - and others with similar ability - in the US??? :idea: :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

UWvaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: post collegiate vaulter, high school coach,
Lifetime Best: 18'9"
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby UWvaulter » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:11 am

Altius, could you give us a little insight into this list?

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:22 am

Pretty busy right now -hope somebody with the book and the time can do it for me old son!

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:46 am

altius wrote:Pretty busy right now -hope somebody with the book and the time can do it for me old son!

Athletes with great physical talent, mental toughness and a determination to succeed which borders on obsession.
    An appropriate training environment.
    Time to train.
    Financial support to enable athletes to make the necessary commitment.
    Medical support - This includes doctors, physiotherapists, masseurs, as well as access to saunas and spas.
    Sports Science support - This can vary from simple video analysis to a completely computerised training facility. It may also include blood testing.
    Sports psychology support.
    A varied and challenging competition program.
    The chance to begin a career path outside sport.
    A supportive community.
    A good coach!

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:20 am

Usa vaulters…good morning

in 1995 Tim Mack made a commitment and with hard work, financial insecurity but the support of his family and friends, a University that would allow him to continue with their facility and around their program, a coach that stayed with him even though he had a career and family to attend to.

I think his PR was 18-4, I know his 6 step mark was at 53-6 ish … he actually just missed the team in 2000.. he got his run too far out in Sacramento, was over striding and having difficulty getting in. when he finally got it fixed he was down to his last jump and blew through the pole. One jump from making it.

We know the next 4 years and result in 2004 … and a 54-8 six step mark, a13-8 takeoff and 16-4 grip……

I have to say here, and this is actually not the right thread… but if our coaches and athletes are as confused about how speed is created, and continue to think that how tall or short you are has anything to do with speed, as the poster on the other thread that thinks “It has been exceptionally easy to dispute this chart” I know I will not have to worry about him or his vaulters ever making world class or beating me in a meet, or if we continue to “over emphasis” short run vaulting (it’s a game of physics and speed... and fun and yes beautiful movement when done correctly) we will continue to use the “over stride” technique, reach under at the plant technique, force bend the pole technique and the change the pole and patterns to fit out poor technique mentality that failing to generate the correct force to jump “natural” and to the Bubka and Alan model.

It’s simple.. if you don’t have the correct speed for the stride length you will “over stride”, if you over stride you will compound the problem creating a poor plant/takeoff technique. You can’t have a “free” takeoff without the right run.. and with a poor takeoff and a lack of “penetration” you have to “hang on for dear life” force bend the pole to try and make the pit.. and wonder why we cannot do what Bubka did!!!!!!!!!!..

dj

Ps .. by the way everything that the “poster’ from the other thread has brought into that discussion from the “scientific” sources.. agrees with and the chart confirms the science, math and physics of the chart… including “stride length and stride frequency”… “application of force is the key to running faster”

Shelia’s work is good… “Find the athletes optimal stride length and stride frequency.” Is a correct statement.

“Because of Anthropometric difference (height, leg length, body build) you have to decide which component will give you the most bang for your buck.” Is an incorrect statement or I’m miss understanding it. A “stride” or “step” does not create the distance we cover on a ‘stride”.. Oxymoron? Riddle?.. we actually “bound”, leap.. down the track from the force applied at “launch” the “re-positioning of the legs” is just that (well there is some additional force added by action reaction) re-positioning to “hammer the track again to create force to “catapult” the mass (deferential) down the track.

Vince Anderson is a thumbs up… but he actually isn’t the only one with speed charts and the ones I know of are from the same “stance” and science about the creation of speed.

Someone in Jamaican seems to have “charts” because they have definitely figured it out.

Pss.. a last ps.. it may not seem like it but this info that seems to cross over several threads does pertain to “The Next Generation”. If we don’t step away from speed “thoughts’, guesses, from 15, 20, 30 years ago start to get the physics, speed and application of force right we will continue to “be lucky” when that next Gold medalist comes along.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:44 am

Thanks Doc - but I think it is going to get lost in the shuffle! :dazed:

IAmTheWalrus
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current College Coach, Aspiring to be Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.06m

Unread postby IAmTheWalrus » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:44 pm

At the risk of sounding dumb... I'm confused DJ. I think I got a little lost telling when you were speaking as "poster" and when you were yourself. Particularly, are you arguing that short runs are bad (which is news to me), or is that a belief of the "poster" that you are refuting. Also, these speed "guesses," are you again referring to the claims made by the poster? I've been trying to focus on greatly improving my speed and "springiness," so if there is something I missed here I'd like to know it. Thanks. I'm not the next generation of vaulter but I would like to take my vaulting to the next level.
-Nick

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:44 pm

Dj I was wondering your thoughts on something.

And im not arguing its correctness one way or another. But you, as well as others i know, are not huge believers in short runs (much below 5-6 lefts). I find it particularly interesting that you are not a huge believer in short run technical work, when you spent a large amount of time, and often reference Coach Earl Bell, and he is a HUUUGGEE believer and implementer of 1, 2, 3 left work. Again not arguing that your right or wrong, just would like to know your exact beliefes on the matter and where they stem from.

Thanks
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”