Wrapping Poles

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

SZuppke
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka

Wrapping Poles

Unread postby SZuppke » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:56 pm

If you wrap a pole with tape, all along the pole, is it illegal to use in a competition?

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: Wrapping Poles

Unread postby dj » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:11 pm

hey

why would you want to tape the whole pole and add the extra weight???

but i don't think it is illegal... unless it is 'double' wrapped...

plus.. i actually don't think you need take if the plant/takeoff is correct....

dj

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:20 pm

SZuppke wrote:If you wrap a pole with tape, all along the pole, is it illegal to use in a competition?

No but athletic tape would make it pretty heavy.

Check out the cool decorative tape I have for sale that is very light. http://www.polevaultpower.com/store/tape.php

Darth Vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Former High School Vaulter, Masters Vaulter

Unread postby Darth Vaulter » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:48 pm

I bought some of Becca's decorative tape as well as a couple of other versions I found on the web. I stripped the faded blue and white factory tape from 10 of my Altius poles. I've re-wrapped two so far, one that looks like a dairy cow and the other like a leopard. They look very cool. I also figure they are less likely to go home from a meet in someone else's pole bag.

One question though, does the decorative tape withstand the repeated bending of the pole as well as the factory stuff? I haven't had anyone jump on them yet. If it works out, I think I'm going to let the varsity kids I coach choose the wrap for the poles they use each year. Stripping all of the tape off really lets you inspect the poles for nicks and scratches too.
May the Force be with you!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:14 pm

Darth Vaulter wrote:One question though, does the decorative tape withstand the repeated bending of the pole as well as the factory stuff? I haven't had anyone jump on them yet. If it works out, I think I'm going to let the varsity kids I coach choose the wrap for the poles they use each year. Stripping all of the tape off really lets you inspect the poles for nicks and scratches too.

I've had the tape on the poles at my HS for 3 years now, and as far as I can tell, most of the wear on the tape was from pulling the poles in and out of the tubes. It won't last as long as most of the factory stuff, but I think you could normally get 5+ years out of a well-wrapped pole, probably a lot more if you used pole socks to avoid the wear and tear in the tubes. The tape holds up fine to the bending pole.

RPVA03
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School and College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach

Unread postby RPVA03 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:36 am

At the high school where I coach, I wrap every new pole with vinyl tape I buy from Gopher Sport, http://www.gophersport.com/products/ite ... 0&Ntt=tape. The extra weight makes a negligible difference, especially with inconsistent high school vaulters. It protects the pole very well, and no one steals our poles. I've had numerous poles saved from spike, or other damage because they were wrapped with vinyl tape. Well worth the money to increase the longevity of poles.

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Unread postby cdmilton » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:11 am

RPVA03 wrote:At the high school where I coach, I wrap every new pole with vinyl tape I buy from Gopher Sport, http://www.gophersport.com/products/ite ... 0&Ntt=tape. The extra weight makes a negligible difference, especially with inconsistent high school vaulters. It protects the pole very well, and no one steals our poles. I've had numerous poles saved from spike, or other damage because they were wrapped with vinyl tape. Well worth the money to increase the longevity of poles.

Yes, We have also been doing this at Armstrong since 2002 and it is now just starting to look like it should be redone. HS kids don't treat their poles very nicely even after multiple reminders and punishments.
Chris Milton

dwcforever
PV Nerd
Expertise: High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 12'
Favorite Vaulter: CHAD PALENSHUS

Unread postby dwcforever » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:12 am

hey I bought some of the gopher tape so when I wrap the poles should I over lap the tape?

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:55 pm

hey I bought some of the gopher tape so when I wrap the poles should I over lap the tape?

Yes, you want to overlap it slightly.

I bought some of Becca's tape and taped 51 of my poles so far. They look great and as Darth Vaulter wrote earlier, we will know which poles belong to us and vice versa. I wrapped each length in a different style so my kids could pick out their poles quicker off of the rack and so it would make it harder to grab the wrong length pole by mistake.

Good stuff Becca! :yes:

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:20 pm

How many rolls does it take per pole or how many poles per role? (For the stuff they sell on pvp)

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:52 pm

AVC Coach wrote:I bought some of Becca's tape and taped 51 of my poles so far.

Did you strip off the original factory tape first to get a uniform surface to tape on?

- master

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:30 am

VaultPurple wrote:How many rolls does it take per pole or how many poles per role? (For the stuff they sell on pvp)

It varies depending on the size of the pole, how big the pole is, and how much you overlap. I have the dimensions for each roll on the sales page.

I think one roll is enough for any pole, even really big ones. With smaller poles you could probably do 2-4 depending on the factors I listed above.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”