Live: Stockholm DN Galan meeting-Jesper,Mazuryk,Hooker 5.61

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
Pogo Stick
PV Pro
Expertise: Former "College" Vaulter, Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70/15'5
Favorite Vaulter: Władysław Kozakiewicz

Live: Stockholm DN Galan meeting-Jesper,Mazuryk,Hooker 5.61

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:33 pm

Live at http://www.universalsports.com. Bar is at 5.31 now...
-- Pogo

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory." W. Edwards Deming

Pogo Stick
PV Pro

Re: Live: Stockholm DN Galan meeting-Jesper,Mazuryk,Hooker 5.61

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:10 pm

Here are final results. Pretty surprising.

Code: Select all

Rank   Bib   Name      Nat   Result      5.31   5.51   5.61   5.71
1   254   Jesper   Fritz   SWE   5.61       o   xo   o   xxx
1   251   Maksym   Mazuryk   UKR   5.61       -   xo   o   xxx
3   261   Steven   Hooker   AUS   5.61       xo   xo   xxo   xxx
4   252   Pavel   Gerasimov   RUS   5.51       o   o   xxx   
5   259   Viktor   Chistiakov   RUS   5.51       -   xo   xxx   
6   255   Paul   Burgess   AUS   5.31       xo   xxx      
6   256   Sergey   Kucheryanu   RUS   5.31       xo   xxx      
8   257   Toby   Stevenson   USA   5.31       xxo   xxx      
8   253   Alexander   Straub   GER   5.31       xxo   xxx      
   260   Alhaji   Jeng   SWE          -   xxx      
   262   Fabio Gomez   Da Silva   BRA          xxx         
-- Pogo

Andy_C
PV Pro

Unread postby Andy_C » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:00 am

Hmmmm... I hope Hooker hasn't aggravated any of his existing injuries!
Hard work is wasted energy if you don't work wisely!

Stensol
PV Beginner

Unread postby Stensol » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:04 am

No, Hooker's just fine. There were swirling winds, plus a bit of rain. Jeng got off the ground once, not completing his jump; Hooker also ran through about 3-4 times. Of the jumps they showed on TV, the favorites all seemed to be using the usual long runs, high grips, and stiff poles--a number of bailed jumps and a bunch of coming down on the bar. It just didn't seem that anyone was adjusting enough for the conditions. Having a lot to prove in front of his countrymen--especially after being selected to Sweden's WC team after a poor season so far--Fritz jumped his seasonal best and remarked that he was pretty amped for this competition.

Hooker was interviewed on TV, where he blamed the conditions for his performance (personally, I didn't think he looked very focused at all). He stated that he was still pleased with his jumping anyway, saying that he got off some decent jumps in crappy conditions. One of the announcers (Anders Gärderud) went on to question why vaulters don't seem to train enough in adverse conditions. Another announcer related that the conditions weren't so great in Helsinki at the 2005 World Champs either, where Rens Blom won. The story was that Blom apparently went on to say something to the effect that while other vaulters complained about the winds in Helsinki, he was used to training in such conditions in the Netherlands.

If the weather's poor in Berlin in the WC qualifying and/or final, I wonder which vaulters this might favor?

Pogo Stick
PV Pro

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:19 pm

Andy_C wrote:Hmmmm... I hope Hooker hasn't aggravated any of his existing injuries!

I hope he's not. His jumps were well over bar, even at 5.71. They had strong wind and pretty cold weather.
Toby had problems with running and looks slow. Maybe is just one bad day, but other guys looks much better.
-- Pogo

Andy_C
PV Pro

Unread postby Andy_C » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:32 am

Pogo Stick wrote:
I hope he's not. His jumps were well over bar, even at 5.71. They had strong wind and pretty cold weather.
Toby had problems with running and looks slow. Maybe is just one bad day, but other guys looks much better.

Stensol wrote:No, Hooker's just fine. There were swirling winds, plus a bit of rain. Jeng got off the ground once, not completing his jump; Hooker also ran through about 3-4 times. Of the jumps they showed on TV, the favorites all seemed to be using the usual long runs, high grips, and stiff poles--a number of bailed jumps and a bunch of coming down on the bar. It just didn't seem that anyone was adjusting enough for the conditions. Having a lot to prove in front of his countrymen--especially after being selected to Sweden's WC team after a poor season so far--Fritz jumped his seasonal best and remarked that he was pretty amped for this competition.

Hooker was interviewed on TV, where he blamed the conditions for his performance (personally, I didn't think he looked very focused at all). He stated that he was still pleased with his jumping anyway, saying that he got off some decent jumps in crappy conditions. One of the announcers (Anders Gärderud) went on to question why vaulters don't seem to train enough in adverse conditions. Another announcer related that the conditions weren't so great in Helsinki at the 2005 World Champs either, where Rens Blom won. The story was that Blom apparently went on to say something to the effect that while other vaulters complained about the winds in Helsinki, he was used to training in such conditions in the Netherlands.

If the weather's poor in Berlin in the WC qualifying and/or final, I wonder which vaulters this might favor?

Good to hear that he's okay, unfortunately I wasn't able to see the competition. Sad to hear about Toby's performance, hopefully this is just a little hitch on his way back up - he had a great result at nationals. Hooker has shown lapses of concentration at critical times in the past before his Beijing victory, hopefully he keeps his head straight because he's shown that he's almost unstoppable even in clutch situations when he's tuned in. In all chances though it was just the weather.

Speaking of weather, I'm not too sure who I'd put my money on in conditions like these. If it was sweltering hot I would put my money on Hooker, Aussies should be used to rubber-melting temperatures haha! Regardless, unless Walker and Hooker really start clicking, I think the Frenchman has a very good chance at winning. But again, nobody is really dominating right now so anybody can step up to the plate on the day.
Hard work is wasted energy if you don't work wisely!

Return to “Pole Vault - International”