USADA Bust On Cheating USA Track and Field Athletes

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:40 pm

A coaching friend told me a story recently. He said he was at a meet a few years back. He ran into a sprinter who had tested positive and couldn't resist asking him why he did it since he was already one of the fastest sprinters in the world. His response was that prior to out-of-season testing someone asked him to try it during the offseason to see how much of a difference it would actually make. Since he was already as a sprinter addicted to speed he immediately got hooked on the stuff since it made him faster. He said he couldn't stop no matter how hard he tried,... until he got caught and his reputation was ruined.

Unfortunately no matter where the line is drawn, there will always be people who step over it, and still others who totally ignore it. This time many cheaters are being uncovered and the field is being leveled for 2004.
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Re: Drug

Unread postby achtungpv » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:10 pm

jmayesvaultmom wrote:Maybe that's how they got to that level...and maybe it's not as expensive as you think.....think economics...can't sell something on as wide a scale as it sounds that is too expensive for only a few to afford!

The price tag making the rounds is $15,000 for a two-month supply.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:11 pm

The question that really scares me, and that I don't think any of us want to know the answer to:

How many more of these undetectable steroids are there on the US and International level?

If a small supplement company can create something to get under the radar, imagine what state sponsered program of a nation that has political reasons to have world class athletes might be like????

And an even scarier question:

How many World Records were set by persons on steroids when the tests weren't half as good as they are now???

I think I'm glad we'll never know the answer to this one.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:13 pm

vaultguru6 wrote:How many World Records were set by persons on steroids when the tests weren't half as good as they are now???

I think I'm glad we'll never know the answer to this one.

Well it is fairly obvious that a lot of the women's records were.

swtvault
PV Pro
Expertise: Part time semi elite vaulter--5.35 season best in 2009
Lifetime Best: 5.52

Unread postby swtvault » Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:43 am

You know what sucks, for every person that gets caught doping, there are 1000 that dont! Look at the USATF busts on vaulters in the last 10 years. I think only two have got popped. Does anyone honestly believe those two are the only ones that did it? It freakin kills me. Drug testing is a JOKE. The chemists will always be ahead of the testers, but I am happy to say that I think the USATF is on the right track. 10,000-100,000 fine! No, I will pass on the juice thank you...oh yeah, coach jones, if we catch your athlete we will get you too! I think this legislation is great for the sport in general. Putting pressure on the coaches may be unfair, but overall I think it will help our sport considerably in an aesthtetic sense. Two thumbs up to the USATF. The only better alternative would be to ban testing entirely and as Jim Rome so elloquently put it, "See pole vaulters jump 25 feet!" Sorry Jim, but that wouldnt happen........it would rule if it did, but it wont. If lojo was still 25 we may read about his promises in the news from time to time, but he is surely not 25 any more, so we can settle for 19 feet--minus one foot for every year of lojo aging I think.
Retain faith that you will prevail in the end, regardless of the difficulties.

Stockdale Paradox

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:35 pm

Here is what Jeff Hartwig told the Jonesboro Sun about drugs:

---
Along with the other issues surrounding his life, Hartwig recently learned of the controversy involving THG, the previously-undetectable steroid that is now touching almost every professional sport, none more than the one Hartwig has devoted his life to.

“I think any athlete who tries to cheat in order to perform better deserves whatever punishment they get,â€Â

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:00 pm

ive heard stories of lots of vaulters using "help". one of them i think had the best technique in the world, and if he needed "help" then there is no hope that for me! i remember when markov jumped 6...+ they said he stubbed his toe and got a shot of novakane. do they test highschoolers at all? or collegians?
On a whole new level 6-20-09

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:55 pm

KYLE ELLIS wrote:ive heard stories of lots of vaulters using "help". one of them i think had the best technique in the world, and if he needed "help" then there is no hope that for me! i remember when markov jumped 6...+ they said he stubbed his toe and got a shot of novakane. do they test highschoolers at all? or collegians?

High schoolers get tested if they make it to big meets like Jr Nationals. College athletes are subject to random testing by both their school and the NCAA, plus if they might get tested more in big meets like USA Nationals.

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:08 am

so us j.c. guys dont have to worry about it? we never get drug teted?
On a whole new level 6-20-09

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Drug testing

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:59 am

Our High schoolers and even junior high athletes, every sport, male and female, are all required to be drug tested. They do not tell them when they are going to do it. They also then pull athletes out at random throughout the year and drug test them. I'm sure it is not as specific a test as the ones they are doing to elite athletes, but they still are drug-tested. My cousin's son played hs football in Mississippi and then they moved. He started getting smaller and smaller. About 6 months later they found out that they had been putting steroids in the water the players were drinking without their knowledge!
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19
The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Re: Drug testing

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:25 am

jmayesvaultmom wrote:Our High schoolers and even junior high athletes, every sport, male and female, are all required to be drug tested. They do not tell them when they are going to do it. They also then pull athletes out at random throughout the year and drug test them. I'm sure it is not as specific a test as the ones they are doing to elite athletes, but they still are drug-tested. My cousin's son played hs football in Mississippi and then they moved. He started getting smaller and smaller. About 6 months later they found out that they had been putting steroids in the water the players were drinking without their knowledge!

THat is sad they should of sued.
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:26 am

KYLE ELLIS wrote:so us j.c. guys dont have to worry about it? we never get drug teted?

Depends on what level you are competing at. Even though you may be at a JC, if you are good enough to qualify for Jr. Nationals or USA Nationals there is a chance you will be tested. And if you are in the top spots at either meet you can count on it. And once you reach that level of competing, whether you are in a JC or not, you are subject to random testing. The JC's may not care, but USATF, USOC, IAAF and USADA do.

You can consider it a complement if they want to test you. It means you are doing really well. :yes:
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”