No More Bungees?

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

littlebigboy1
PV Newbie

Re: No More Bungees?

Unread postby littlebigboy1 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:27 am

According to J. it is prior to the event. Stupid rule.

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:58 pm

It is correct that there is a rule not allowing bungees in warmups of NCAA governed meets. However, at even some of the bigger competitions, I have not seen it enforced too heavily. To me, I guess I don't see the reason in not allowing them--it's much quicker to just leave the bungee up than it is to replace a cross bar (and yes... you get those guys that INSIST on putting up a cross bar... just to chase through or not even leave the ground).

As far as the weight is concerned, in WI high school there is a form that coaches fill out, and turn in prior to the meet. Now I will admit, I have not been at a lot of meets in WI lately since I moved, but I have never once seen a weight contested to the point where the athlete was weighed...wouldn't it be an interesting world if they had weigh-ins before the meet just like in wrestling? I personally think it comes down to money to buy poles. While it is not right (and I DO NOT support) to choke up on a softer, longer pole and say that because the grip has been dropped, the pole "is more like a 13' 160 than a 14' 150," I think it happens a lot more than many people would like to admit. Also, verifying that the athlete on the runway has the correctly rated pole in their hands before each jump would take another official... which is another official being paid... and going back to the money idea... I don't mean to be a cynic, just some things that I saw when I was younger (I graduated HS in 2002).

Thoughts?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:14 pm

Lax PV wrote:As far as the weight is concerned, in WI high school there is a form that coaches fill out, and turn in prior to the meet. Now I will admit, I have not been at a lot of meets in WI lately since I moved, but I have never once seen a weight contested to the point where the athlete was weighed...wouldn't it be an interesting world if they had weigh-ins before the meet just like in wrestling? I personally think it comes down to money to buy poles. While it is not right (and I DO NOT support) to choke up on a softer, longer pole and say that because the grip has been dropped, the pole "is more like a 13' 160 than a 14' 150," I think it happens a lot more than many people would like to admit. Also, verifying that the athlete on the runway has the correctly rated pole in their hands before each jump would take another official... which is another official being paid... and going back to the money idea... I don't mean to be a cynic, just some things that I saw when I was younger (I graduated HS in 2002).

The enforcement varies by state. I think most states will at least weigh-in at the State Meet. Some states weigh frequently, others never weigh. It's up to each state to decide how to enforce the rule. When I was in HS (2000) I never got weighed. I coached at my HS last year and my vaulters got weighed at League, Districts, and State.

Also, your officials get paid? Ours never do around here except for the auto-timing crews.

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:19 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
Lax PV wrote:As far as the weight is concerned, in WI high school there is a form that coaches fill out, and turn in prior to the meet. Now I will admit, I have not been at a lot of meets in WI lately since I moved, but I have never once seen a weight contested to the point where the athlete was weighed...wouldn't it be an interesting world if they had weigh-ins before the meet just like in wrestling? I personally think it comes down to money to buy poles. While it is not right (and I DO NOT support) to choke up on a softer, longer pole and say that because the grip has been dropped, the pole "is more like a 13' 160 than a 14' 150," I think it happens a lot more than many people would like to admit. Also, verifying that the athlete on the runway has the correctly rated pole in their hands before each jump would take another official... which is another official being paid... and going back to the money idea... I don't mean to be a cynic, just some things that I saw when I was younger (I graduated HS in 2002).

The enforcement varies by state. I think most states will at least weigh-in at the State Meet. Some states weigh frequently, others never weigh. It's up to each state to decide how to enforce the rule. When I was in HS (2000) I never got weighed. I coached at my HS last year and my vaulters got weighed at League, Districts, and State.

Also, your officials get paid? Ours never do around here except for the auto-timing crews.

The meets that I worked at I was paid a little bit... nothing extravagent.

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:16 am

Back to the original subject of this thread...... Can anyone explain to me the rationale behind this "no bungee" rule? I have racked my brain and can't find one positive thing to say about this new rule. It makes absolutely no sense to me and I am hoping someone can shed some light on it!

Thanks!

Barto
PV Great

Unread postby Barto » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:57 am

AVC Coach wrote:Back to the original subject of this thread...... Can anyone explain to me the rationale behind this "no bungee" rule? I have racked my brain and can't find one positive thing to say about this new rule. It makes absolutely no sense to me and I am hoping someone can shed some light on it!

Thanks!

I completely agree. In fact, I would rather see a "no crossbar rule" than a no bungee rule. Often times crossbars in warmup disrupt the small amount of time athletes have to prepare. Bungees make the warmup period much more efficient and probably safer.

my 2 cents
Facts, Not Fiction

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:43 pm

The "no bungie" rule was added to the high school rule book this season becuase it was considered a training aid.

Hey, if there are any coaches looking at this, make your school get you a rules book. Too many iqnorant judges and coaches out there. Oh, and read it.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”