Tim Mack book "Above and Beyond" available

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

tmack
PV Fan

Tim Mack book "Above and Beyond" available

Unread postby tmack » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:24 pm

Hey everyone!
Just wanted to let everyone know that my book, "Above and Beyond:Tim Mack, the pole vault, the quest for Olympic Gold," is available for pre-order at amazon.com and at kentstateuniversitypress.com. It took awhile to get printed, but finally is here. Bill Livingston, the author, and I talked on the phone every week for 8-10 months to get this story out there. The rest of the time was trying to find a publisher. You will find the price from 17.99 to 26.95. the books are printed, so shouldn't take long to get one.
The story tells the path I followed en route to Olympic Gold. Aside from talking to me, Bill talked to many other vaulters...Bob Seagren, Don Bragg, Sergey Bubka, Toby Stevenson, and more to get their personal experiences and their views of the event. The story tells the path I followed en route to Olympic Gold and my thoughts along the way. It tells of odd jobs, struggles and decisions along the way. It tells of coaches, family and friends...each adding something to the experience. Its a book that also puts everyones ideas and experiences out there for all to see.
Everyone has a story, not everyone follows the same path, but there is something everyone can take from this book. It is a book that tells that there is never one way to get what you want. If you really want something and are willing to do whatever it takes, no matter how strange it seems, no matter how unconventional it seems, no matter how ridiculous it seems, you will get it!!
thanks,
mack

Here is an explanation of the book:

Overcoming the odds to win the gold

Two Olympic medalists were recognized at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio, days before Christmas 2004. One was the Cleveland Cavaliers’ LeBron James, the “Chosen One” of the NBA. He had a bronze medal from the Athens games that summer. The other was a Cleveland homeboy too, a gold medalist who had flown higher than anyone before on the Olympic stage. Hardly anyone knew his name. He was Tim Mack.

His high school coach did not see anything particularly promising in the young pole–vaulter. Mack never made it to the state meet, and he was the first to admit he had a fear of heights. But thanks to his unflinching determination and confidence, Mack went on to prove that he was anything but mediocre. In 2004 the young athlete won the Olympic gold medal for pole vaulting. His jump of 19 feet 6–1/4 inches was not only Mack’s personal best but the highest in Olympic history.

Award-winning sports columnist Bill Livingston follows Mack as he practices one of the world’s most dangerous and demanding sports. Livingston reveals the fascinating subculture of pole vaulting—from Bob Richards, the only man to win Olympic gold twice in pole vaulting; to Sergey Bubka, the most controversial pole vaulter ever; to Don Bragg, a rowdy Tarzan-like character who swung on ropes in his backyard to build upper-body strength; to the stirring duel between Mack and Toby Stevenson as they battled for gold in Athens.

Readers will discover how Mack struggled and endured, while working in a factory, as a mascot in a bumblebee costume, and as a janitor, and how Mack changed his training and revamped his body and mind in a three-year program that made his AOL username, Goldnathens, a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Bill Livingston tells the story with the same grace, wit, and taste for colorful details that he has brought to the pages of the Cleveland Plain Dealer as senior sports columnist since 1984. He has covered five Summer and two Winter Olympics, as well as the Super Bowl, World Series, NBA Finals, Stanley Cup Finals, Indianapolis 500, Daytona 500, NCAA Final Four, all major college bowl games, and all four golf major tournaments

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: Tim Mack book "Above and Beyond" available

Unread postby dj » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:26 am

good morning

very "kool" can't wait to get a copy....

did someone tell me there are some excerpts.. somewhere as a ‘teaser”?

great career “dude’.. you still going to jump a little??

dj

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:44 am

dj wrote:did someone tell me there are some excerpts.. somewhere as a ‘teaser”?

Yeah, they put quite a few excerpts online:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15928

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:58 pm

good evening

thanks becca...

it's 8:57pm in the sleepy little town of Riyadh.

dj

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Unread postby cdmilton » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:07 pm

I ordered my copy. Looking forward to the read.
Chris Milton

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:44 pm

I did the preorder several months ago and got notification that my copy shipped on Tuesday. Looking forward to it, especially since we go on our annual vacation to the Maine coastline next Thursday. I'm sure it's great!! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

fieldguy
PV Newbie

Unread postby fieldguy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:30 pm

tim mack excerpts are at:

www.cleveland.com/livingston

there's also a sidebar about the interview with bubka.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:24 pm

Tim, I read the excerpts, and look forward to getting a copy!

Do you talk about technique at all?

Petrov model v. tuck-and-shoot.

Do you explain YOUR technique? What is it?

Just curious. Even if you don't talk about technique, I'm buying the book!

Kirk
Last edited by KirkB on Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:37 am

What I read in the article and gathered by talking and emailing with Tim's coach, the GREAT Jim Beemiller, it's about the journey as much as anything else. Should have mine any day and will provide a better idea.

It's 3:30 AM here as I prepare to drive to our Texas Senior Champs. Once I wake up a little I'll probably remember more. LOL! Bubba

tmack
PV Fan

Unread postby tmack » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:55 am

Bubba, glad your getting a copy. I think you will appreciate it.
Kirk, i do not get into technique very much. I do however explain what i am trying to do at competition, what i'm thinking, what my queues are. Alot of what the book is about is doing what you have to do and sticking to it...no matter what. "No matter what" is a bit of a vague term, but basically, it is nothing else matters! It tells of molding your life and your training program in order to succeed. You dont have to do what i did, but there are plenty of good examples of what everyone else has done.

Ill explain more as the questions about the book arise.

tim

Spencer Chang, MD
PV Fan

Unread postby Spencer Chang, MD » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:01 pm

Tim,

Can't wait to get your book. When it comes to mental preparation and focus, I always use you as an example of what can be done and how it can be done. Hope all is well.

Thank you for what you have brought to our sport!

Aloha,

Spence
Check out the video Vault 2000. You may purchase it at SpringCo or On Track.

Bubba PV
PV Lover

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:46 pm

Thanks Timmy. I talked to "B" about it when I first saw that it was coming out and ordered it right away. He told me about the focus and prep aspect and well as the long dedication to the mission. Of course since I know you, it makes it even more special since I can relate to watching your progress.

You're a terrific person and champion and I'm honored to call you my friend! Thanks again for all you do for the sport we love!! Bubba

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”