Eating- diet

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: Eating- diet

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:42 am

If you eat junk food, you may not gain weight, but you will find it harder to run a mile the next day... I'm a hardgainer (high metabolism) too, and I'm just saying that just because you can eat it and not gain weight, you shouldn't necessarily eat it... make a protein shake instead.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

kevinmcgill59
PV Newbie

Unread postby kevinmcgill59 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:51 pm

Our school's best 400m runner dropped his PR from 50sec to 48sec 5 minuetes after finishing a bucket of KFC and downing it with a coke
What could I attach weights to next? Hmmmmmmmm...

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:27 pm

Heard of a sugar rush?

marshall
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Roth

Unread postby marshall » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:39 pm

whatever i guess.

sometimes i'll eat like a hot dog or something during practice and still do fine. at times i'll drink some soda during competition and PR. doesn't really matter for me.

gymnastsrock
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: too hard!

Unread postby gymnastsrock » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:04 pm

I usually eat really healthy. This year I fell in love with the Kashi Crunch bars-chocolate-peanut butter, chocolate-almond, and caramel corn. Also, I tend to get kind of superstitious. like if I do well when I drink berry propel invigorate, I'll make sure to bring some along the next time too. Then I pr'd by a foot with the yellow 'energy' glaceau vitamin water, so I drank that again, and pr'd by another 6".
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. Lao Tzu

Adam00
PV Newbie

Unread postby Adam00 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:40 pm

I normally try to eat a very full meal the night before with veggies and meats and milk but it normally doesnt have a play into my performance the next day(maybe its because of my *metabolizim is rediculous ) but it helps with confidence. What I did notice affected me the most was that the day of the vault I cant have anything acidic because once I get moving it throws me off. However eating things like cliff bars 2-3 hours before competition let me warm up and take my first vault succesfully, but before my second vault I like to eat a snickers. I think the snickers (however I could be wrong and this may all be in my head) makes the largest contribution because it contains a lot of calories, some protein(little to none), sugar, chocolate (which plays very little role its just delicous and a bronchial dilator), and it puts something in my stomach. But the most important part of a vaulters diet is drinking enough water. Many athletes nowadays drink mainly sports drinks which are good every now and then but with the added electrolytes and flavors etc it just doesnt provide enough water.
*sorry about spelling mistakes its kinda late for me.
When its a tie, the only way to settle it is... RAP BATTLE!

sooch90
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby sooch90 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:45 pm

I found that I can eat a lot before I pole vault. I don't know why, maybe it has something to do with anxiety or something, I don't know. If I don't eat before I vault, I can't hold any liquids. This means that I gotta make several trips to the bathroom during the competition

Split
PV Master
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, lifetime enthusiast
Lifetime Best: 11'0"
Favorite Vaulter: Giovanni Lanaro

Unread postby Split » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:10 am

The day before a meet, I usually have like wheats or something. The day of, its whatever I can get my hands on.
Invitationals are different. Where I've gone the last 2 times, there was a Burger King, McDonalds, and a Jack in The Box down the street. I would long jump, grab some BK, triple, eat Jack in the Box, Pole Vault, and finish the day with some McDonalds. Invitationals are rather long so I guess I eat because Im bored more than because I have to.
I usually drink water or orange or apple juice meet days.
I never met a pole I didn't like.

Split
PV Master
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, lifetime enthusiast
Lifetime Best: 11'0"
Favorite Vaulter: Giovanni Lanaro

Unread postby Split » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:14 am

powerplant42 wrote:If you eat junk food, you may not gain weight, but you will find it harder to run a mile the next day... I'm a hardgainer (high metabolism) too, and I'm just saying that just because you can eat it and not gain weight, you shouldn't necessarily eat it... make a protein shake instead.

Same here. However, when does this become a problem?
I have not gained a single pound in nearly 4 years. I've taken creatine and protein supplements and lifted but didn't gain any results whatsoever. I took protein for about 4 months and lost 3 pounds.
I never met a pole I didn't like.

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:43 am

Split wrote:
powerplant42 wrote:If you eat junk food, you may not gain weight, but you will find it harder to run a mile the next day... I'm a hardgainer (high metabolism) too, and I'm just saying that just because you can eat it and not gain weight, you shouldn't necessarily eat it... make a protein shake instead.

Same here. However, when does this become a problem?
I have not gained a single pound in nearly 4 years. I've taken creatine and protein supplements and lifted but didn't gain any results whatsoever. I took protein for about 4 months and lost 3 pounds.

I think what powerplant meant was that quality food helps with quality performance. Protien, fats, and quality carbs all play an important role in training. Gaining and losing weight basically comes down to math, eat more than you expand= gain weight... Eat less= lose weight. Plus hypertrophy lifting can help with tgaining muscle. And enjoy not gaining weight while you can...
On a whole new level 6-20-09

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:49 am

Ding ding ding ding ding!

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”