Myth?

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

Have you ever broken a pole?

yes
40%
no
60%

Total votes: 15

pvhigh1
PV Fan
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12'3"
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragila

Myth?

Unread postby pvhigh1 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:37 pm

Does the weather have anything to do with your poles? I've heard both sides. This season I have witnessed like 8 broken poles or so. Yeah CRAZY! :dazed: The poles were mostly broken from vaulters at 2 different schools. Is it their technique or what?
***Its a rough road that leads to the HEIGHTS of greatness***

distancejumper
PV Pro

Unread postby distancejumper » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:26 pm

I've been told that poles will only break if they're damaged... so these 2 schools either A. dont take very good care of they're poles or B. the poles are old and haven't been taken care of over the years

Adam00
PV Newbie

Re: Myth?

Unread postby Adam00 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:36 pm

yes weather does affect poles. The colder the weather the stiffer the pole so the hotter the easier to bend, however it does not make such a drastic difference in bend you wont be able to jump. One of the reason Carbons can perform better is that they are less affected by the weather.
When its a tie, the only way to settle it is... RAP BATTLE!

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:37 pm

mine was broken through pure ignorance of trying to jump over a drain right when i started :o . But most ones ive seen were people vaulting wrongly or on a pole too small for them. But i have realized that those red trainer poles (dont even rember brand, it wont the pacers) are indestructabe. Two guys at like 160 and 180 were using one of those at 13' 135 and jumping 11' while bending the crap out of them... they looked a million years old and were cracked down the inside, their coach said that they were not too big for those poles so they were trying to break them to prove him wrong and it wouldnt work.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:46 pm

yes weather does affect poles. The colder the weather the stiffer the pole so the hotter the easier to bend, however it does not make such a drastic difference in bend you wont be able to jump. One of the reason Carbons can perform better is that they are less affected by the weather.

Yeah, your pole will bend less if it's dipped in liquid nitrogen... but it's barely worth mentioning if you're vaulting in a snow storm.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:56 pm

This topic has been beaten to death on this site. The temperature of the pole creates only a tiny variation in the stiffness of it... the temperature of the vaulter plays a much bigger role.

I don't care much what people believe as long as they make the right adjustments. When it's cold and you can barely move you need to start on a smaller pole. When it's hot and you are running fast, you'll probably need bigger poles.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”