Isi updates ...

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Post-Monaco interview with Petrov

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:11 am

Well I’ve been looking for some major interviews with Isi from the Russian press after her spate of new records, but it appears that she’s deliberately keeping a low profile and letting her pole do the talking this year. I guess that might be a good idea heading into Beijing, but I sure hope she gets a little more talkative afterwards. Until then, I guess I’ll have to be satisfied with quoting her coach.

In Sport-Express, Yuri Yuris wrote:ISINBAEVA: A RECORD WITH AN INTERMEDIATE FINISH

On Tuesday after midnight, when in Moscow it was already a new day, at the “Super Grand Prix” tournament in Monte Carlo, Russia’s Yelena Isinbaeva raised the bar by yet another centimeter on her own world record: clearing on her third attempt at the height of 5.04!

Other than the prizes for the world record and victory in the prestigious competition, and also a “Seat” automobile – Isinbaeva has received no privileges for her update of the record at the “Stade Louis II”. In any case, her coach Vitaly Petrov was not going to cancel yesterday’s training session. Yet during the sportswoman’s warm-ups, Petrov did find time for a telephone conversation with the correspondent from “SE”.

- After two years of “silence” outdoors, it seems that Lena has broken through: a record three weeks ago in Rome and now in Monte Carlo… Her life has adjusted, Vitaly Afanasevich?

- In London, by the way, she also could have gotten a record - there the bar trembled and shook, but finally decided to fall. A breakthrough you say? For me the important thing is that Lena is finally, and I hope irrevocably, convinced that record flights are possible on the basis of her new technical training. In good physical condition and with the proper stability, it’s possible to master record heights.

- Is she satisfied with her performance?

- Absolutely. Perhaps a bit more tired than usual.

- Why?

- The head-wind in the sector was a problem, especially during warm-ups. Her run-up was normal, but her “entry” didn’t go well – the wind knocked around her pole. We hadn’t had such before. Fortunately the wind gradually subsided over the course of the competition.

- So Isinbaeva had to perform without a full warm-up?

- Practically, yes. Therefore, on her first attempt at the initial height of 4.71, her pole was too soft, and she had to change.

- Lena took only one height - 4.83 - on her first attempt. Two on her second, and the record - her third and final. Did she actually have to change poles each time? (The online scoresheet says she needed two shots at 4.83 as well – BF)

- No. We did it only three times: at the first height, the third and the record. On the final attempt at the 5.04 boundary, Lena didn’t want to change poles, but I insisted. The higher you jump, the harder the implement must be.

- On her second attempt at 5.04, Isinbaeva bent her pole so much that it seemed from the side insufficiently stiff…

- This was a technical error: crushing the pole too much. In this case it doesn’t add to the height, but on the contrary, it drops the vaulter.

- Once again, an intermediate height, which extends Isinbaeva’s customary competitive formula of “warm-up - victory – record”. Is this still a tactical novelty, like you told me in the interview a month ago?

- Quite so.

- What is its meaning?

- Let me explain. We feel it’s appropriate to bring the winning and record heights closer to each other. Otherwise there is too big a gap between them – twenty centimeters or even more. Take the last tournament in Monte Carlo. Lena was already guaranteed victory at 4.83. By our old tactics she should immediately go to 5.04. But the world record - this is, in many respects, the main event. And here, to not fall below Isinbaeva’s norm in any competition must now become the rule. She must prove her true superiority over her rivals in every start, without exception. Otherwise there’s somehow a sense of understatement, isn’t there? The “intermediate” jump at 4.93 immediately removed this feeling, even if it wasn’t a record.

- What do you think, is Isinbaeva capable of surpassing Sergei Bubka’s achievement of 35 world records established over his career both indoors and out? Lena herself says that this is almost the primary goal in her life…

- (Laughing) I have no such precise “arithmetic” goal. My task is to help Isinbaeva to reach her potential as fully as possible. We agreed that we’ll try to “jump” together until 2012 - the Olympics in London, and to set as many records as possible during this time. If I remember correctly, Bubka set his last record at the age of 30. So Lena has that much time remaining.

- But then, the time remaining until the Olympics in Beijing grows shorter every day like shagreen leather. Where and how are you going to spend these next two weeks?

- On August 2nd we depart for Japan, where we’ll conduct our final stages of preparation. On the 14th we arrive in Beijing, the 16th is qualifications for the women’s pole vault, and the 18th is the final.

- Aren’t world records on the threshold of the main quadrennial start an overly risky display of generosity, even on the part of such an outstanding sportswoman as Isinbaeva? Don’t you fear that she’ll use up too much emotion prematurely? And what about peak form, which must arrive on August 18th?

- I see no “display of generosity” in what happened in Rome and Monaco. Especially given that we started the season later than usual. Her peak form? For me it’s no problem for an athlete who is fully prepared to sustain it for three months. If Isinbaeva is “programmed” as I believe, for 5.10 - 5.15, then why can’t she jump 5.05 today? Records don’t drain Lena emotionally. On the contrary, this is her element. Not to mention that Isinbaeva is as much a fighter as you’ll find…

Yuri YURIS

Petrov sure isn't going along with Trofimov's assertion that she's abandoned the technical changes they've been instituting for the past couple of years (see viewtopic.php?f=31&t=15786).

I hadn’t caught onto it yesterday, but evidently Isi got a SEAT Ibiza as a bonus for breaking the world record. I don’t know if that’s instead of, or in addition to, a cash bonus. What does she do with all these cars? Anyhow, here’s the link: http://www.herculis.com/_herculis/hercu ... 8&idNews=1 (in French).

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Re: Isi updates ...

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:30 am

In addition to the interview with Petrov above, Sport-Express also published an interesting pair of tables showing their exact ages when Isi and Bubka set each of their world records. It's getting late, so I'm not going to format them in BBCode now, but the Google translator does a pretty good job with the table itself (less so with the headline and caption):

Original Russian version: http://www.sport-express.ru/art.shtml?163713
Automatically translated version: http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en ... 99IKP2KV2w
If the translated link doesn't work, copy the original link, then paste it into http://translate.google.com/

The gist is that Isi's 23rd WR came at the age of 26 years and 56 days, while Bubka's 23rd came at 27 years and 105 days, so she's 414 days ahead of his "schedule". He set his first WR almost exactly a year younger than she did, but she "overtook" him at #14.
Last edited by BruceFlorman on Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:33 am

slvr1969 wrote:A Formula 1 Calender would be nice. She loves red and with a Ferrari would be really hot looking!!

But Jarno Trulli is a personal acquaintance, so she roots for Toyota in F1. At least that's what she said back in March. :)

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Re: Post-Monaco interview with Petrov

Unread postby achtungpv » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:06 am

BruceFlorman wrote:I hadn’t caught onto it yesterday, but evidently Isi got a SEAT Ibiza as a bonus for breaking the world record. I don’t know if that’s instead of, or in addition to, a cash bonus. What does she do with all these cars?

They may get the option of accepting the cash equivalent in lieu of the car. A lot of prizes are set up this way since you will owe taxes on the prize value it's better to take the cash so you're not paying money out of pocket for getting "free" stuff.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Isi pops in at the Oly village to drop off some stuff

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:25 pm

It's obviously a slow news day when something like this gets reported, but...
AllSport.ru wrote:10:12 02.08.2008 – Light Athletics - Olympic tournament in athletics
Yelena Isinbaeva flew into Beijing
Today, August 2nd, the European, World and Olympic Games champion, world record holder in the women’s pole vault, Yelena Isinbaeva flew into Beijing. The president of the Russian athletics federation Valentin Balakhnichev told the Agency of Sport information "All Sport" about this.

“Today Yelena Isinbaeva flew into Beijing,” said Valentin Balakhnichev. “Really, she’ll just be in the Olympic capital a few hours and then leave for Fukuoka Japan, where she and the Swedish team will hold a nearly two-week pre-Olympic camp. It was simply logistics that motivated the stopover here, as Lena and her coach Vitaly Afanasevich Petrov decided to drop in at the Olympic village in order to leave some things.”

Valentin Balakhnichev also reported that Yelena Isinbaeva will be arriving in Beijing to participate directly in the Olympics on August 14th. The women's qualifying tournament for the pole vault will be held on August 16th, and the finals will be held on August 18th.

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:14 pm

Olympics: Pole vault queen Isinbayeva vows to raise bar again in Beijing
Aug 3 05:38 AM US/Eastern

Beijing+ (AP) - BEIJING, Aug. 3 (Kyodo)—Not content with breaking her own world record twice within the last month, Russian pole vault queen Elena Isinbayeva vowed to raise the bar again after arriving in Beijing for the Summer Games on Sunday.

"This is my first trip to Beijing and I am excited about that. Hopefully I will have a great competition," Isinbayeva told reporters at Beijing Capital Airport.

The Olympic and European pole vault champion cleared 5.04 meters at the Super Grand Prix in Monaco on Tuesday, bettering her previous world record of 5.03, set in Rome on July 11.

That was Isinbayeva's 23rd world record and when asked whether she could rewrite her world mark again in Beijing, the 26-year-old pinup smiled, "Why not?"

Naturally, Isinbayeva is the odds-on favorite to win the gold medal again, with American Jenny Stuczynski likely to offer up the most competition in Beijing.

Lynxyara
PV Beginner

Unread postby Lynxyara » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:01 am

Vladimir Raush (newspaperman from “Isvestia”) took interview from Isinbayeva.
http://pda.izvestia.ru/article.html/use ... .27667_28/

Isvestia.ru: Start of your new season was very impressive. Do you intend to set new row of world records?

Isi: You know, I don`t like predict. I work to do records more real.

Isvestia.ru: When you changed your coach for Vitaly Petrov, it was long two years pause for your results. Did you have doubts about your decision?

Isi: My coach said me at the very beginning: “Be ready. Your next two years will be the most difficult in your life. You are not robot to simply reload program. But you must remember: I want train you, and you want be trained by me.” And my mentor was right. It is impossible to change life and lose nothing. It needs time we get accustomed to each other, while I settled abroad…

Isvestia.ru: Did you feel ecstasies when you set new world record? Didn`t forget this feelings?

Isi: No. I didn`t forget. It seems I haven`t two years pause. When I jump 5m03cm at Rome I feel as if my last record was yesterday. But I understand: my new records are more important then last records were. Jumping over 4 metres and a little more is not so hard. But every attempt to jump over 5 metres is more and more difficult.

Isvestia.ru: Vitaly Petrov said to our newspaper you will be ready to jump over 5m15cm in the nearest future. Do you feel opportunities to do it?

Isi: Yes. I understood it at Rome. I had huge reserve there. I must work hard. But I don`t beat records on trainings. My maximum I can set – 4m80cm. Why? I don`t want to overdrive myself.

Isvestia.ru: How much it will be enough to jump for gold at Beijing?

Isi: 5m05cm. I really think to win Olympics it will need new world record.

Isvestia.ru: Petrov said you became more careful of your figure. Why?

Isi: It seems my shoulders became broader. And I ask my coach to reject some exercises. My friends calm me down: “Don`t bother. You have splendid lean figure.”

Isvestia.ru: Your muscles are very good. You are like bodybuilder.

Isi: Oh. I don`t like that kind of compliments (laughing). I don`t want to be like bodybuilder. And I asked my coach to set lighter weight of my barbell. What is my record? Press (lying): 70 kg two times. Staying: I lift 60kg`s barbell four\five times.

Isvestia.ru: When I said “like bodybuilder” I mean not muscular mass but muscular relief. It is possible to learn anatomy with help of your figure.

Isi: It is therefore I eat nothing before competitions. Three days before competition I have diet. I can let myself little rice for a dinner and little meat for a supper. Result – I am hungry (laughing). More over, my nerve energy is used. And my weight is decreased. But it lasts only before competitions. In other days I give relaxation for myself.

Isvestia.ru: At July competitions were in a row. You were hungry all time?

Isi: Hungry and fury. (laughing). Psychologicaly it is very difficult. You always think about food. But I know why I torture myself. And diet helps me to tune myself: when I come to sector I am so fury I can tear up all.

Isvestia.ru: Last time you live abroad. You visit Russia few times. What country you spend majority of your time?

Isi: I am resident of Monte-Carlo. I live there when I haven`t competitions. I have flat there. And I often visit Formio, the base of Olympic team of Italy. Coach works there, and I go him at winter (one and half month) and at summer (one month).

Isvestia.ru: You bought your flat with help of your prizes?

Isi: Oh, no. I rent my flat. Real estate in Monaco is very expensive. I can`t buy it. My flat is not palace. And my kitchen is very little. But it is very comfortable: you can cook yourself and you needn`t visit restaurants all time. But I have my own auto: I drive LEXUS PX 350.

Isvestia.ru: I know you learned Italian and speak it very good?

Isi: Not very good. But I understand and speak something. Before competition in Rome I speak Italian at press conference. But it was not well. I learned speech of welcome, but I forgot it because of agitation. I had to improvise. I was very distressed: spend so much time and all uselessly (laughing).

Isvestia.ru: How about your English?

Isi: Approximately the same. But sometimes I tangle with, forget words. Italian pronouncing differs from english pronouncing. If I don`t speak English long time I build phrases with difficulty.

Isvestia.ru: In frenchspeaking countries it is very hard to find english-spoken person. With whom you practise your English?

Isi: I speak with my agent, managers. I talk other athletes. Early I talk Kaisa Bergquist, sweden height jumper, a lot. She lives Monaco too. And she was (as me) client of agency “Podium”. She is very good sociable woman. But now she exit sport and we see each other more rarely. But recently we met at competition in Stockgolm – she was rewarding winners – and had very nice conversation.

Isvestia.ru: What you do when you have free time?

Isi: I visit my girlfriend. She is not sportsman. She arrived from Ukraine, and work in Monaco now. But most of all I like beach. Weather is fine here, water is clean – you can sunbathe and swim. I have few hidden places where peoples don`t walk. View is very impressive: water, stones… I make myself comfortable, it is so fine – silently, nobody worries.

Isvestia.ru: Do peoples worry you often?

Isi: Monaco has not ordinary public. Public considers itself as not ordinary. And nobody worry stars here. Sometimes somebody come for autograph, but very politely, in a cultured manner. But sometimes I lay beach and hear whisper behind me: “Hey! Look! Isinbayeva is lying here!”

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:07 am

Wow, thanks for posting this! It's like getting a "freebie" for me. ;) I manage to hit the AllSport, SovSport and Sport-Express websites on most days, but I don't often get around to scanning all the other sites where these things might pop up. So I usually have to wait until Google manages to find them for me.

Lynxyara
PV Beginner

Unread postby Lynxyara » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:54 am

Yes, I see. You do greate job. You are only man who manage this thread. I think it is because of few english-spoken peoples know Russian language.

slvr1969
PV Whiz
Favorite Vaulter: Yelena Isinbayeva

Unread postby slvr1969 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:06 am

- Beijing - OLYMPIC CHAMPION & 5.05m WORLD RECORD -
VIDEO @

http://www.mediafire.com/YI-V

Pogo Stick
PV Pro
Expertise: Former "College" Vaulter, Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70/15'5
Favorite Vaulter: Władysław Kozakiewicz

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:11 am

Did you know she is Senior Lieutenant of Russian Army? Wow!

http://www.iaaf.org/OLY08/news/kind=103/newsid=46946.html

Isinbayeva puts on a show!

Beijing, China - Ask any theatre director what actors do when left to their own devices. They end up downstage centre, that’s to say, right in the middle of the spotlight. Cue Yelena Isinibayeva. On her own admission, after bringing the house down yet again, clearing 5.05 metres to win her second Olympic gold and set her 24th World record, she loves nothing more than having the stage to herself.

“I love it so much, I feel like an actress. They (the crowd) are there just for me. They want a World record, so at least, I will try to do my best. And I was confident, I really wanted to make all the people happy.”

“I wasn’t afraid of this height, sometimes in different stadia, I feel 4.50 is like six metres, but tonight, this felt low. Now I feel so happy that I have 24 World records.”

This statement raised the inevitable question, of when she would get up to 36 World records, beating the 35 of that guy from the Ukraine, now masquerading as IAAF Senior Vice President.

She almost looked shocked, “No, I will never bear Sergey (Bubka). He was the best in the world. But I will try to do my best. I’m going to do another twelve.”

Now she knows her position

Amid the joy, laughter and exuberance, there was one thing which still rankled, namely the comments of Jen Stuczcinski of the US, who had done a bit of trash talking before the Games. The American incidentally was still at dope testing after taking the silver with 4.80 metres, so didn’t attend the press conference, which would have been interesting.

Isinbayeva was still smiling, which appears to be her default mode, but she said, “It made me angry. How is it possible she is talking to much like that. It made me want to prove who is better. It wasn’t nice, she must show respect, and know her position. Now she knows her position."

Senior lieutenant

Isinbayeva is of an unusual cultural mix. Her mother is Russian, but her father is a member of one of the Federation’s smallest ethnic groups, the Tabasarans, who number barely 100,000, and come from the Republic of Dagestan, which borders the Caspian Sea, at Russia’s south-west tip. She was born in Volgograd, formerly Stalingrad, site of the famous siege and battle which turned the fortunes on the Eastern front in the Second World War.

She graduated from the Volgograd State Academy of Physical Culture with a Batchelor’s degree, and, between training session is working for her master’s. She is still a member of the Russian Army team, and in 2005 was given the rank of senior lieutenant. That must come in handy when booking restaurants in her current home in Monaco.

It was already well past midnight by now, and someone asked if she resented having come to talk to the hacks, when she could have been relaxing at a restaurant, or at least having a well-earned beer or glass of wine.

“No, it’s a pleasure for me. I know you have been waiting two or three hours, but I want to feel professional. After all, you are my PR people in your different countries.”

It’s a good job the moderator called the conference to an end. She’d have kept us there all night. Just as she did the crowd outside. And we got just as good a performance. Someone called out a last question just as we were filing out, “What next?”

“See you in London 2012,” she laughed. What a trouper!
-- Pogo

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory." W. Edwards Deming

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:43 am

I've posted my last two Russian translations to the wPV thread in the Olympics forum, but I thought I'd link them here in case someone is looking for them later. Of course I may have to re-link them next week after Becca closes that forum, but I'll burn that bridge when I get to it. ;)

Return to “Pole Vault - International”