Pool Workout

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
jumpingbean913
PV Newbie

Pool Workout

Unread postby jumpingbean913 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:27 pm

I am a lifeguard at a local pool. Since the pool is private, not many people come, and I have quite a bit of time to do whatever I want. Does anyone know a good pool pole vault workout that I could do while I wait? I have done that pool drill with the pole under the diving board that focuses on the top end, but this pool is only six feet deep and I have absolutely no equipment, especially no diving board. :mad:

Any suggestions would be super. Help save me from utter boredom ;) -Thanks.
"Vaulting makes me lose control."

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:03 am

I don't know, maybe if you get a weight belt you could do some inversion and flyaway gymnastics with a stubby or something under the water... Get creative!
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

BadMotherVaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter, Volunteer High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.35
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson, Jeff Hartwig

Unread postby BadMotherVaulter » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:36 pm

yeah man, go look at the media section of this website... they have pool vaulting videos in there... the vaulters i coach did it this season and it seemed to help them understand the motion at the end of the vault.

plus, any kind of swimming workout is going to improve your core and i give that :yes: :yes:
suck it up.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:00 pm

I lifeguard too. Just for fun, sometimes i will do a handstand next to the rope, and push myself over it. Get some goggles and practice "working the bar" and try to go over without touching it.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

jumpingbean913
PV Newbie

Unread postby jumpingbean913 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:16 pm

Cool, thanks guys. I'll now spend all my extra time coming up with new fun drills! I spent seven hours today doing laps in the pool and listening to my Ipod. No one else came to swim. :crying: Oh well, I got paid for it, it's all good. ;)
"Vaulting makes me lose control."

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”