too soft

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
tomiska
PV Newbie

too soft

Unread postby tomiska » Tue May 27, 2008 2:49 pm

Does anyone know how could I get more agressive? Without doping of course! I heard that tyrosine should do the trick. Has anyone tried it?
Does it work?
One of the few hungarian pole vaulters!!
PR: 5.10m

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue May 27, 2008 3:08 pm

Try getting into a life crisis. That should make you aggressive! :D

Nah, maybe just try focusing harder and telling yourself how aggressive you'll be in your next jump. I would stay away from medecine...
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Sean/vaulter/naeS
PV Nerd

Unread postby Sean/vaulter/naeS » Tue May 27, 2008 7:01 pm

I use some energy drinks and then mentally psych your self up by listening to music and having teammates yell at you and piss you off.
VAULTERS ARE A CRAZY CREW BUT ITS A FUN RIDE!

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue May 27, 2008 8:35 pm

Don't get crazy with the energy drinks... definitely not during a meet. Music works though.

Ribeiro92
PV Newbie

Re: too soft

Unread postby Ribeiro92 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:26 am

Try thinking about jumping over the pit...through the pit when you are about to vault. That always helps me get good penetration and keep my vault aggressive.

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:40 pm

Break out some german or russian rock music... make u wanna rip someones head off!

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:44 pm

Or some Norwegian death metal... those guys are for real...

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:52 pm

friend of mine used to coax himself into believing that the jump he was about to take, was the last jump he would ever take. seemed to work for him. i mean really, who wants to have a crappy jump to remember for the rest of your life?

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:48 pm

That could be additional pressure, but hey, whatever works... What I've adopted is a before jump routine off the runway where I do a set number of different types of visualizations of my vault and Bubka's 6.4 vault, then when I start to come back to the real world, I tell myself that I WILL jump like that, I WILL be perfect, I WILL clear that bar or whatever I want to have in my head. Routine is generally a HUGE part of focus during/right before your jump, so pumping yourself up in an identical manner each time is just as important as actually doing it.
Last edited by powerplant42 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAmTheWalrus
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current College Coach, Aspiring to be Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.06m

Unread postby IAmTheWalrus » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:19 pm

Pantera - "Walk"

I feel like I can run through a brick wall when I listen to that song. But really, I find that fast paced music, some quick sprints, and using just feeding off your team mates and vice versa. If you are yelling and screaming for a team mate, and then he does the same for you (encouragingly of course) it really helps get you excited and focused. Just don't forget to have fun. I always vault best when I'm smiling
-Nick

Adam00
PV Newbie

Unread postby Adam00 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:52 pm

I have to agree with everyone else listening to certain songs will improve your agressiveness , also Im a very laidback person also but when I vault I become very aggresive because I have a big rivalry with another vaulter so maybe you could pick someone at or way above your level and I know this might sound bad but aim to crush them, however do not get cought up in it, make sure your also vaulting to do your best and have fun
When its a tie, the only way to settle it is... RAP BATTLE!

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”