Pole Vault Manifesto

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.

Is 18ft vault possible for women

Poll ended at Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:12 pm

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes: 61

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun May 18, 2008 4:08 pm

also you could check out Bubka himself and see that his right arm isn't quite straight and not fully extended as the pole hits. This one shows it well, although he is close:

This is an unwanted side effect of having a strong body (and arm) at take-off...
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

volteur
PV Pro

Unread postby volteur » Sun May 18, 2008 5:03 pm

powerplant42 wrote:
also you could check out Bubka himself and see that his right arm isn't quite straight and not fully extended as the pole hits. This one shows it well, although he is close:

This is an unwanted side effect of having a strong body (and arm) at take-off...

Sorry i don't know what you mean. Can you elaborate?

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun May 18, 2008 6:27 pm

[quote="dj"]sooch90

not a problem.. i re-posted why and what i said 9 months ago;

sensationalism and not to state that that jump was a "free takeoff"...

I'm an artist by trade but a scientist by profession.. we have to do the "numbers" in science to verify the science/physics.

vaultman18...Alan's a big boy and he can take care of himself... and he and i can handle our own differences privately..

tit-for-tat "slamming" doesn't really solve anything.. but i guess if it gets more "productiveâ€
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun May 18, 2008 6:41 pm

volteur wrote:Aunt minnie was a wise woman. The only problem now is agapit has been avoiding his own thread because it was hi-jacked. How do we entice him back
?

I am sorry. We own AVEDA lifestyle salons and we are opening one this coming week, so it is hectic.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun May 18, 2008 7:08 pm

powerplant42 wrote:
Quote:

Sometimes an experienced vaulter might have a slightly bent arm at take-off because of trying to attain a strong body in order to transfer as much energy as possible into the pole/system. In trying to keep a really strong arm, Bubka, as do other jumpers, occasionally (or maybe even frequently or consistently) would try to keep all their arm muscles taught as the plant was finished. All the muscles in the arm includes the bicep, which is rather difficult and uncomfortable to keep tight with a completely extended arm. (You could try this right now...) I'll correct my previous statement now: The slightly bent arm is actually a DESIRED attribute in the vault, because the benefit of being more able to utilized the bicep in keeping the arm strong outweighs the extremely small loss of take-off angle (perhaps 1 - 1.5 degrees?). In addition to being more able to use the bicep, the plant can be more centered over the vaulter's head (try getting your hand directly over your head with out bending your arm. If you can do this, then imagine trying to do it in a vault, and you can see that it's not practical.) Does this make sense?
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun May 18, 2008 9:04 pm

[quote="dj"]Good morning

So if you want the truth, check your ego at the door, pursue what petrov has told us, try to understand why and hopefully how to get there. The truth does not come from a “want’a be mentalityâ€

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sun May 18, 2008 9:23 pm

Interesting.
so if i understand correctly, you would suggest vaulters running naturally, finding where their mid may be, and counting that mark as their step being "on". You would not suggest moving a vaulter in or out depending on where their mid is supposed to be?
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun May 18, 2008 9:32 pm

volteur wrote:Hi Alan, what gave me away in the end? ;)

One was obviously how much success Efim was having with one single squad.

I wonder when (if?) our national body will come to the realisation that success in athletics comes from the coaches working with the athletes and not much else?

Volteur. I agree with you. Efim is extremely intelligent person and a great coach. I have had a chance to meet with him and his son Julian few times when I lived in Australia.

I must voice my opinion on the “causeâ€

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun May 18, 2008 9:45 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:Interesting.
so if i understand correctly, you would suggest vaulters running naturally, finding where their mid may be, and counting that mark as their step being "on". You would not suggest moving a vaulter in or out depending on where their mid is supposed to be?

Victor Chistiakov is 6'6" and Scott Huffman is 5’7â€

volteur
PV Pro

Unread postby volteur » Sun May 18, 2008 10:02 pm

agapit wrote:
Volteur. I agree with you. Efim is extremely intelligent person and a great coach. I have had a chance to meet with him and his son Julian few times when I lived in Australia.

We also met. There were two things i remember technically as you instructed our group. One was the insistence that it is not push it is pull after take-off. Limited English at the time (93? 97?) meant it was more sign language than anything else. The other was 'take-off:on, inversion:off, pull:on, clearance:off. (One thing from that was take-off and pull are practised on the pole whilst inversion and clearance were best trained in the gym, possibly the other was they they were conscious and unsconscious phases).

[quote]
I must voice my opinion on the “causeâ€

OH-IOvaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, Former High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Mondo Duplantis: 8yrs/9ft!!

Unread postby OH-IOvaulter » Sun May 18, 2008 10:14 pm

Agapit correct me if I am wrong but would it not be to position the body in such a way so as to be able to initiate the swing at the earliest possible moment. If the goal is to pre-jump/free take off with zero lag between that and the beginning of pole resistance, would not the goal of the plant be to place the body in the optimal position to swing as soon as the toe leaves the ground?
What is nice about this sport is that I am responsible for most everything.
-Sergei Bubka

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun May 18, 2008 10:19 pm

powerplant42 wrote:
powerplant42 wrote:
Quote:

Sometimes an experienced vaulter might have a slightly bent arm at take-off because of trying to attain a strong body in order to transfer as much energy as possible into the pole/system. In trying to keep a really strong arm, Bubka, as do other jumpers, occasionally (or maybe even frequently or consistently) would try to keep all their arm muscles taught as the plant was finished.

Imagine you are dunking the ball in the basket. Would your arm be straight at the moment you:

1. Step on the ground with the take-off foot
2. Leave the ground
3. In the air

Funny, actually having arms straight as you leave the ground is the best mechanical answer, but leaving arms bent and straightening them in the air would give you more “maneuverâ€

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”