NOT ENOUGH PENETRATION

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
HmanVaulter
PV Newbie

NOT ENOUGH PENETRATION

Unread postby HmanVaulter » Thu May 01, 2008 1:10 pm

okay so im 165 and using a 170 14 6'..well atleast tahts what i want to be using. I use 7 left starting wit my rite but i cannot get into the pit. My coach says to hold the bend longer but then i just spit rite bak onto the runway. I dont know if its my speed or maybe its just to big of a pole.

Does anyone konw waht i can do and do quickly beacause i need to get on it asap, to get into the pit and that way i can try my full vault. I dont want to try a full vault on it and get spit out to land on my head or bak.

Ive tried running on the track and planting on a movable pit box but is this bad? i mean i just want to get the hand of such a long pole and that way i can be aggresive...please help ; )
-Hman

OH-IOvaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, Former High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Mondo Duplantis: 8yrs/9ft!!

Unread postby OH-IOvaulter » Thu May 01, 2008 2:49 pm

It sounds like you may be on too big of a pole, if you have a shorter 165 or 170 try that. If you are getting spit back out it sounds like your grip might be a bit to high, thats another thing you can try. How fast is your approach, what is your 100 speed. These things will help to diagnose your problem. I'd recommend getting on a shorter pole so you can get a bit more penetration, bear in mind the whole key is to store energy into the pole, to do that you have to have good speed at take off. Good luck, let us know more info and we can be more help.

Off to Practice.
What is nice about this sport is that I am responsible for most everything.
-Sergei Bubka

Haverford123
PV Nerd

Unread postby Haverford123 » Thu May 01, 2008 5:05 pm

moveable pit box... aka slide box i assume?

the only thing i dont like about slide box is that it makes you lock in your left arm..(making me row, like rowing a boat). i think using a towel or something like that helps me better when working on my runs
HHS '08
PSU '12

3.81 m

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu May 01, 2008 5:41 pm

Pole Selection

i don't remember posting on this site before???/

but now that i'm here... Spirit has a "stiffness" and handgrip guide.. i think it may be posted somewhere on PVP...

1. bend or no bend the first step is to lower your grip until you can vault safely with the standards at 60+cm

2. if you have a big bend and still coming up short.. lower your grip!

that said check you run.. your "check mark to grip" based on the "chart" and if your takeoff is vertical or "out'.

dj

ps oboviously this was posted soom time ago.. so any info at this point may be out dated...
Last edited by dj on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

AR01
PV Whiz

Unread postby AR01 » Thu May 01, 2008 6:02 pm

Chances are that you're on too big of a pole so I would work on that, but you might not be jumping up also. If you just run into the pole you have nothing to carry you up so what do you do...you get pushed backwards. Just a thought but for sure try a smaller pole.

Ethan
PV Fan

Re: NOT ENOUGH PENETRATION

Unread postby Ethan » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:39 pm

Well usually raising your grip isn't the best especially if your getting spit back.
Anyways if you feel like you can get on that pole and are just lacking a little. try keeping pressure on your top arm and (bottom arm to a point) pushing it forward at take off driving it forward as you swing.
This will help you "move" the pole per say and help with penetration.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Re: NOT ENOUGH PENETRATION

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:11 pm

what other poles do you have available? where are you gripping on this pole?

being on too big a pole is how people get hurt. be smart.

maybe come in a few lefts, work your technique out on smaller poles.. all the while making yourself a bit faster.. and then try again
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”