Pole Vault Manifesto

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.

Is 18ft vault possible for women

Poll ended at Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:12 pm

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes: 61

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Wed May 02, 2007 11:55 pm

Soar Like an Eagle wrote:
captainfalcon43 wrote:lindsay taylor is faster and stronger than a lot of guys. I believe she jumped 14'6" in 1 year of training. If she would have started earler and had the right coaching and model she could have jumped way up there.

Lindsey Taylor had a very good coach, Dave Nielson, Idaho State University and Stacy Dragila's coach for many years, but due to the fact she started at a late age she maybe did not reach her full potential. 14'6" in one year is incredible.

Dave is a very good coach.
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Thu May 03, 2007 8:02 pm

vaultman18 wrote:Lindsay is as good of an athlete as there is in the country. Technically though she could be a lot better. I am of the opinion she could/can jump higher with a different coach.

Who would you suggest?

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Fri May 04, 2007 11:25 am

vaultman18 wrote:Lindsay is as good of an athlete as there is in the country. Technically though she could be a lot better. I am of the opinion she could/can jump higher with a different coach.

This is a very inappropriate comment. Regardless of the fact that Dave Nielson is an excellent coach one should not speak if they have no commitment to see something trough. It is just an armature opinion of yours.

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby vaultman18 » Fri May 04, 2007 11:40 am

Agapit
It is my opinion yes and I have never even met Dave. But I know Lindsay very well. What I should have said is she could have jumped higher in a different setting. I wasn't trying to put down Dave I know he is a good coach. I talked with Lindsay many times while she was in Idaho and I'm not sure she was in the best place for her training. I know injury was part of the problem. I am not taking any shots at Dave. By the way I tried to get her to move to Knoxville because I felt that would have been a better place to train. I will edit my post as I had no intention to disrespect anyone. I only wanted to say Lindsay could have jumped higher and still can.

agapit
PV Follower

"Straight" pole vaulting

Unread postby agapit » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:03 am

RPVA03
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School and College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach

Unread postby RPVA03 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:58 am

Wow, this is all great info. Some of this really confuses me though, and I was hoping someone could try to explain and clarify it. So how exactly is chest penetration a passive phase? I thought it was necessary to get a pre-stretch of muscles that allows you to whip/swing. How does that delay the pull/push motion? Also, how do you move faster than the recoil of the pole?
What really confuses me is the pull/push motion. This seems to contradict everything I have learned. In BTB it says, “both hands are driven up as hard and high as possible. The athlete should have the feeling that this high punch of the hands continues after take offâ€

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:06 pm

RPVA03 wrote:Wow, this is all great info. Some of this really confuses me though,

Good questions.
According to the modern pole vault model we should maximize input of energy into the vault system in the limited time allowed to complete the bar clearance.

Now the chest penetration does delay the inversion and does not contribute any additional energy in to the system. This phase cannot be eliminated completely, but the complete elimination should be a goal.
As to a pre-stretch it could be achieved through the “verticalâ€

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:32 pm

Agapit i have a question.

Obviously in an ideal world, the pole tip would not hit the box until the vaulter is outstretched and past the "chest drive" stage as said above, so that the instance the pole hits the back, we can continue the transfer of energy. But the world isn't perfect, and a lot of high school and college vaulters like myself have a chest drive phase while the pole begins to bend. My question is this:
would you consider it more important to take extra time to outstretch your trail leg, bringing it farther behind you, and thus allowing yourself the chance to swing faster? Or is that time wasted, and is it more beneficial to only bring the trail leg as far back as you naturally do from the take off without conciously "thinking about it". I have some jumps where i conciously think about getting my trail leg way behind me, but i feel like im wasting too much time off the ground before im swinging. According to the continuous chain model, we should be swinging as soon as possible, but isnt finishing your take off going to give you more acceleration of the trail leg, and might cancel out the energy loss from not swinging right away?
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:39 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:Agapit i have a question.

Obviously in an ideal world, the pole tip would not hit the box until the vaulter is outstretched and past the "chest drive" stage as said above, so that the instance the pole hits the back, we can continue the transfer of energy. But the world isn't perfect, and a lot of high school and college vaulters like myself have a chest drive phase while the pole begins to bend. My question is this:
would you consider it more important to take extra time to outstretch your trail leg, bringing it farther behind you, and thus allowing yourself the chance to swing faster? Or is that time wasted, and is it more beneficial to only bring the trail leg as far back as you naturally do from the take off without conciously "thinking about it". I have some jumps where i conciously think about getting my trail leg way behind me, but i feel like im wasting too much time off the ground before im swinging. According to the continuous chain model, we should be swinging as soon as possible, but isnt finishing your take off going to give you more acceleration of the trail leg, and might cancel out the energy loss from not swinging right away?

First of all I would not use term “chest driveâ€

volteur
PV Pro

Unread postby volteur » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:34 am

Agapit you said this which i like very much,

"If your plant was correct the pole will hit the back wall sometime after your take-off foot is on the ground, but before the foot leaves the ground. If the pole position is correct, left arm sufficiently extended, there will not be any resistance at that instance."

and this

"If you are leaving the ground and then travel more than 1-2 inches in the air before pole begins to resist you need to raise your grip. In my opinion the “free jumpâ€

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:42 pm

[quote="volteur"]Agapit you said this which i like very much,

"If your plant was correct the pole will hit the back wall sometime after your take-off foot is on the ground, but before the foot leaves the ground. If the pole position is correct, left arm sufficiently extended, there will not be any resistance at that instance."

and this

"If you are leaving the ground and then travel more than 1-2 inches in the air before pole begins to resist you need to raise your grip. In my opinion the “free jumpâ€

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:41 pm

So in the ideal take-off, WHAT is WHERE and WHEN? I just would like some definite clarification...very complex thread...
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”