Spirit vs. Pacer

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:27 pm

I've never used Nordics, but I hear that the 5 meter poles are wrapped on HUGE mandrils and heavy as hell. Don't know about the smaller sizes though.

Actually, Paul Richards will make and size Altius you want. The biggest one I've used is a 15'9 170, but I've seen 16' 200's.

zack

Unread postby zack » Tue Oct 15, 2002 12:25 am

becca I had that altius 15'3" 180 that wasn't too big. ;) Plus we have that 16' 175 that broke.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 15, 2002 12:32 am

zack wrote:becca I had that altius 15'3" 180 that wasn't too big. ;) Plus we have that 16' 175 that broke.

How did the 16'175 break? Did Brian try to get his big butt on it? ;)

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:38 am

Altius I have seen was a 15'175... it looked like it weighed a ton

That altius Ron Johnson jumps on was a 15'9" 185 that had about 12" removed from the top.

zack

Unread postby zack » Tue Oct 15, 2002 5:22 pm

Actually it broke when it was shipped to us.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 15, 2002 6:37 pm

zack wrote:Actually it broke when it was shipped to us.

Ooh that sucks!

thornhillj
PV Nerd

Unread postby thornhillj » Tue Oct 15, 2002 10:32 pm

ive always been a carbon man....ive never jumped on a spirit, but those are in abundence here at Texas Tech, so maybe ill get a taste of them......

dubjones
PV Nerd

picky,picky,picky

Unread postby dubjones » Tue Oct 15, 2002 11:54 pm

All this brand name talk is giving me a headache! Swing timing, trying to match that to a brand of pole, and on down the line. By saying this you are basically saying that if a pole returns energy faster (accelerates more quickly?) that is a bad thing? If so then the goal of jumping on bigger poles is completly backwards. It sounds like the goal in this situation is to hold too high, make em' mush, so you can have more time to get around on em'. That just dosen't work. If your ideas are true, and I know what you all are talking about here, I would much rather have a faster pole in my bag, because it has more energy return (acceleration) in relation to what I put into it. It would simply be like jumping on a bigger pole, without having to add energy to do so.
Is there anyone out there that belives the brand of pole someone jumps on makes a significant difference in how high that person jumps? Records are not made and broken by poles, but by pole vaulters. If there was a significant difference in poles, then everyone would jump on the same thing, because no one wants to be at a disadvantage. But the truth of the matter is that whatever brand you put in your hand makes nearly ZERO difference. If you can get it done, then you can get it done, regardless of what color you like to see when you reach in your bag.
What do all of you think?

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:38 am

well i honestly feel the pole brand does make a diff because of the timing issue...i've tried jumping on pacers, and personally, they dont fit my style....could i adapt to it, probably, but the point remains that for me, spirits react at the TIME that i need them to....this makes a huge difference...maybe i misunderstood what you were saying, but it seems that you're saying the faster the pole, the better for everyone.....sorry, if thats what you're saying, i'm going ot have to disagree...this has nothing to do with how i think the vault should be done, but the idea that people do have diff needs
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Oct 16, 2002 3:31 am

No I think he is trying to say that if you need a slower pole you can work with whatever brand... if it is too fast just drop 5lbs of pole or adjust your grip and vice versa if the pole is too slow... in the end they are basically the same, but because companies do flex numbers a little different the poundage might vary a little... but if you flexed them yourself and got poles with a similar flex they would feel similar. Am I right Dub?

dubjones
PV Nerd

Unread postby dubjones » Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:28 am

I am trying to make this make sense, when really it wont. I know what you mean by a "timing" issue, and I know what you are saying about different poles. But here is where things get messed up. There is no "real" way that a pole can "time" the release of energy. It simply acts like a spring, compress and release. Now, let us assume that one brand works slower than another brand, because that seems to be the generall feel on the board.
So if brand 1 reacts slower than brand 2, then to get equal acceleration from brand1, you must jump on a bigger pole, than you would have to do for brand 2.
So, if you actually have a real problem with poles being too "fast" then you would never want to jump on bigger poles, Beacause they would react faster, right?
The idea here is to store energy, and get it back, right. Assume for a second that the energy put into two poles is equal, and that they are equal sizes.
If a pole reacts "faster" then there is more acceleration, and energy return, which should result in a higher jump. If it works "slower", then there is less acceleration, and energy return, lower jump. This makes sense to me, although it is very simplistic.

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Wed Oct 16, 2002 11:42 am

Ok, yeah i see what you're saying....thats makes sense...i mean you can really "manipulate" diff poles to make the react at the same speeds, so i agree with that....but the whole bigger poles= faster reactiong thing is kinda diff...on big poles you typically have a little more time just because theres more pole you have to move, unless you are meaning big as in the heavier weights....hmmm...write back
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.

-Stephen King

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”