just curious...40 times

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:08 pm

I definitely meant hand timed 4.4-4.3... more like 4.5 fully auto. But yea top speed is what matters, i ran a 3.67 second 30meter dash, but its just cuz i can get going quick. My top speed isnt nearly fast enough, i think i ran like 1.6 or 1.7 in the flying 15 at bells.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:17 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:I definitely meant hand timed 4.4-4.3... more like 4.5 fully auto. But yea top speed is what matters, i ran a 3.67 second 30meter dash, but its just cuz i can get going quick. My top speed isnt nearly fast enough, i think i ran like 1.6 or 1.7 in the flying 15 at bells.

Yeah, I am a bit stubborn about timing... if it's not electric, and its under 400m I don't really buy it. Everyone has their peeves... that's one of mine.. haha :)

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:05 am

Oh yea i believe it. I have gotten timed by my coach 8 times in a row in the 30m dash at 3.65-3.70, but then when i get timed other times i will get to like 3.5 which cant be right. Since we dont have automatic timing systems at our school, we just go with 2 timers and take the averages of several runs, which isnt totally accurate but add .2 for approximate automatic times.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:13 am

are we talking 40yd or 40m

yeah id be very suprised to see many vaulters run even a 4.5 FAT even for 40 yards (36m)

the fastest collegiate sprinter in the country right now is about 6.6 FAT for a 60, which is an average of .91 m/s. the provisional mark for FAT in the sixty is 8.8m/s average.

so a pole vaulter running a 4.5s 40yd (36m) sprint is averaging .81 m/s without another 20m of running at higher speed. im realllly doubting it. especially when you consider a pole vaulter will not be nearly as quick as these ELITE LEVEL COLLEGE GUYS COMING OUT OF BLOCKS. so im gonna raise the bs flag on anyone here running a 4.5 40, unless Russ Buller wants to share his times.

reguardless of how you time, i think a more important indicator is progress. if your measuring the same way every time, and 8 weeks later your time is faster, then your doing what you need to.
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:30 am

The unofficial WR for 40m out of the blocks, FAT timed during a 100m is only like 4.29...I think maybe Maurice Greene. To think every other HSer you see is timed, running on grass in cleats, at 4.4 is laughable.

If you run a FAT 4.7 40m or even 40 yard you are a fast pole vaulter.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:45 pm

hey

and Greene took 19 steps for that 4.29 40 yards FAT...

again i find timing the last 6 gives you something you can use .. even during competition..

i timed tully in the coliseum in 1984 during warm up to get an idea of what the conditions were giving us...

dj

ps.. russ was/is fast...........
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified

Unread postby Lax PV » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:17 pm

As said before, the WR for the 40yd dash is not really kept up. Justin Gatlin went down for a mini camp with the Houston Texans after he got into some trouble with enhancing drugs. It was reported he ran a bit faster than 4.29, but I didn't hear anything about FAT. I think the fastest 40 I ever ran FAT was like 4.9something... and jumped 4.75m. I hear some people say they ran a 40 in 4.4 but have PRs of 12'...either they have a lot of technical work to do... or one of those numbers has been compromised.

I think another fast guy that still might be lurking around on here is Trey Hardee... I think his 100m was <10.40 FAT... I'd call that fast.

Not that I think many people are going to argue the point that Brian made, I agree with his totally... but there is a VERY profound difference between 8.8m/s and 8.1m/s...thats getting beat in a 60m by more than 4m.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:05 pm

Hand time is very different from FAT and Lazer... i said that.

But i went through my sophmore year of indoor track running the 55m dash pretty much half of the time hand timed and half FAT... and would run 6.5-6.6 on average hand timed, and 6.75-6.85 FAT, and have heard coaches saying a +.25 is about right from hand to FAT. I wouldnt call 4.5 auto BS when considering football guys run 4.4-4.5 Lazer and sometimes weigh over 190 Ibs. I dont think its unreasonable to say a 160 Ib athlete who trains for this kind of thing year round can run 4.5's Lazer. Maurice Greene ran it in 4.29 FAT with no lean and with no intention of hitting his top speed at that 40m mark, because he would have started slowing down from that point on. Im done accelerating almost by the time i hit that 40m mark. At any rate, there is a huge difference between .25-.3 seconds in a 40 yard dash, even against olympic athletes. Its not hard to picture an olympic athlete running about .3-.4m/sec faster than me in the 40 on average.

BTW is there any real time difference between hand timed and lazer timed?

Lax PV
PV Follower

Unread postby Lax PV » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:28 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:Hand time is very different from FAT and Lazer... i said that.

But i went through my sophmore year of indoor track running the 55m dash pretty much half of the time hand timed and half FAT... and would run 6.5-6.6 on average hand timed, and 6.75-6.85 FAT, and have heard coaches saying a +.25 is about right from hand to FAT. I wouldnt call 4.5 auto BS when considering football guys run 4.4-4.5 Lazer and sometimes weigh over 190 Ibs. I dont think its unreasonable to say a 160 Ib athlete who trains for this kind of thing year round can run 4.5's Lazer. Maurice Greene ran it in 4.29 FAT with no lean and with no intention of hitting his top speed at that 40m mark, because he would have started slowing down from that point on. Im done accelerating almost by the time i hit that 40m mark. At any rate, there is a huge difference between .25-.3 seconds in a 40 yard dash, even against olympic athletes. Its not hard to picture an olympic athlete running about .3-.4m/sec faster than me in the 40 on average.

BTW is there any real time difference between hand timed and lazer timed?

Not to be that guy... but its spelled laser, not lazer.

Laser timing (I assume you are referring to Speed Traps... or other similar products) are almost as valid as a traditional film based FAT system. The main difference occurs when an athlete breaks the beam with his/her arm swing, which will cause the timing system to start/stop. Film based FAT (FinishLynx for example) have the camera set up in line with the finish line, and then the time is tracked when the midline of the body crosses. This discrepancy is usually only a couple .01s of a second, but if you are running say a 15m fly or anything like that, .01 can be a substantial gain.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:30 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:Hand time is very different from FAT and Lazer... i said that.

But i went through my sophmore year of indoor track running the 55m dash pretty much half of the time hand timed and half FAT... and would run 6.5-6.6 on average hand timed, and 6.75-6.85 FAT, and have heard coaches saying a +.25 is about right from hand to FAT. I wouldnt call 4.5 auto BS when considering football guys run 4.4-4.5

2 things.

First. i dont put any stock into any football guys times. those times are all just huge advertisements for themselves. i watched our football guys at VT during 40 day, and the timing is just stupid. not accurate whatsoever And i have heard very similar accounts from other schools.

Second. You proved my exact point. lets take your fastest FAT, of 6.75. so your average velocity over that 55m is 8.15 seconds. so for a 4.5 40m dash, you would need 8.9 m/s, and thats spending 15m less time running fast. if your talking 40 yards, 36 meters, then you just need that 8.0x average velocity, which is still even a stretch when you are only getting slightly faster average velocity from 55m!!
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Mitch
PV Fan

Unread postby Mitch » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:46 pm

I just have to add my stats so I can try to support Jason

I ran a 4.7 40 YD in flats and in a 2 point stance using lasers at Velocity Sports Performance and I know it is accurate because the second I take pressure off my back foot the timing starts and stops when I lean in on the finish line.

If I had spikes on and I was in either a 3 point stance or going from a block start I am sure I would get a 4.5. Not to mention this was my evaluation test, and after a few months of training I KNOW I could run a 4.5 40 YD.

I am a Senior in High School and my PR is 5.10 so obviously I am not trying to give you some bs but all I am trying to prove is that it is extremely possible to run a 4.5 40 YARD as a pole vaulter. Oh and I am about 5'9" 150-55

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:04 pm

Well that 6.5 was as a sophmore when i think i ran... maybe 4.7-4.8 HAND TIMED 40. Ive gotten quiet a bit quicker since then, but havent run the 55m since. And i do believe at the Combine (again i feel like im not spelling that right, lol) for football, they run with laser timing, so im not sure how innacurate that is. They have guys come in a 4.4 and 4.5, but yea laser 4.3 is very rare.

In any case, im judging my times based on laser times and hand times based on what football players run, not track athletes. Maybe they measure it differently and more accurately, and yes slower. But from the measuring devices i have used, it isnt BS. But the fastest 40 i have heard of with all conditions considered, was up in fayetteville Wallace Spearman ran 4.21 hand time in trainers on turf....
take it for what it is- FREAKIN FAST! Even if he ran .25 slower with laser, thats 4.45 on turf with trainers. Lets say if he had spikes and ran on that mondo, maybe he gets down to low 4.3. pretty cool...

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”