Coach

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:33 pm

While Larry Berryhill was very successful at BYU, for the last three years Jeremy Bailey has been coaching the women - and coaching the men for at least the last two. Bobbie Low's improvement is little short of phenomenal.
Unfortunate;y for BYU and the athletes there, it seems highly likely that Jeremy will return to his home state Idaho to work at the high school level -perhaps as a basketball coach!

However in any discussion of this kind I think it is important to remember that the "Context" - the coaching environment - in which a coach works - can have a major impact on their success or lack of it.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:49 am

altius wrote:While Larry Berryhill was very successful at BYU, for the last three years Jeremy Bailey has been coaching the women - and coaching the men for at least the last two. Bobbie Low's improvement is little short of phenomenal.
Unfortunate;y for BYU and the athletes there, it seems highly likely that Jeremy will return to his home state Idaho to work at the high school level -perhaps as a basketball coach!

However in any discussion of this kind I think it is important to remember that the "Context" - the coaching environment - in which a coach works - can have a major impact on their success or lack of it.

Ah I didn't know that.

Like I said, it was a very quick list. I would definitely add Bob Phillips at Virginia Tech and Tom Hays, currently at Kansas (formerly Arizona) to the list. Dave Nielson has certainly done an excellent job of producing both college and elite vaulters at Idaho State.

slowest5.50
PV Nerd
Lifetime Best: 5.50

Unread postby slowest5.50 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:14 am

Anyone know how Lawrence Johnson is doing as vault coach at South Carolina?
I would much rather work with 100% heart and 75% talent than 100% talent and 75% heart!

utVOLter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby utVOLter » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:19 am

Are we only talking about active coaches? Because otherwise you would def. have to put Jim BeMiller in the top 5. He coached 7 guys over the 5.50 mark, with 6 of them going 5.60 or higher, from 93-2004 at Tennessee. Perhaps you've heard of two of his former vaulters.... Tim Mack and Lawrence Johonson?

BeMiller doesn't work with the college guys much anymore, but one of his former vaulters, Russ Johnson (5.65) has taken over and is doing a great job. Check it out:

Former vaulters: (Russ worked with these guys for 2 season)

Andy Lane (15' in HS) - 17' 3"
Chris Helwick (14' 3" in HS) - 17' 1" (decathlete)

Current vaulters:

Michael Hogue (15' 10" in HS) - 17' 8.5" - Senior
Brad Holtz (15' 9" in HS) - 16' 10.75" - Junior/Sophomore
Joe Berry (16' 3" in HS) - 16' 7" - Freshman

Not to mention in his past 2 years as the vault coach, Tennessee is undefeated in the vault at the SEC Championships (sweeping the past 4 titles) and also has placed a second vaulter in the top 3 at each of these meets. Also, Hogue was 5th indoors and 7th outdoors at the NCAA Championships last year. Not a bad start for a young coach. :yes:

As for LoJo... I think one of his USC guys had a PR this weekend at the meet in NYC with 15' 3".... but I'd say its too early to start judging how he's doing. I wouldn't be suprised to see some big marks from those guys in a few years if he sticks around

Chia Vault
PV Newbie

Unread postby Chia Vault » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:12 pm

Lax PV wrote:I am curious to learn about the "extra vaulting" training (i.e. strength and conditioning away from the vault) that all these schools are doing? Is it a product of atmosphere and people, or training, or talent that was just not tapped into in HS...

any thoughts?

When I was at idaho state... in the fall we would go to the local gymnastics gym which coach nielsens wife was an owner on a weeknight and on saturday. during winter semester we would go one weeknight. we would do floor, p-bars, rings, tramp, high bar, and double mini-tramp. It was cool cause dave could kick our trash in every area. Also it was open to anyone on the team. We got some cool throwers who come out and really put some bend in the high bar.

of course we did all the usual lifting.
Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going. -Jim Ryun

vaulterx
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Collegiate Coach/Former Collegiate Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragila

Unread postby vaulterx » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:53 am

I find it very interesting that Dave Nielsen would not be considered one of the top 5 pole vault coaches. The man coached Stacy Dragila from the very first time she picked up a pole to numerous world and American records not to mention Olympic Gold. Currently coaching Stacy and up and coming Paul Litchfield. You also need to look at all the studies that he has done on the vault. Dave has really come up with some great stuff. As for college performance I know that stats are a little lacking but you have to look at the school that he is coaching it. To be honest not many people want to come to Pocatello where it is cold and has high winds most of the time. Bigger schools that are located where it is warmer are more desirable for those stand out high school athletes who jump 16-17 or 12-13 before they go to college.
In short i cast my vote for Dave Nielsen.
Our greatest achievement is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Unread postby CowtownPV » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:16 pm

Coach at Air Force must be doing a great job. Girl went 13'6 and boy went 17'10, I think anybody would take that.
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”