What should I do?

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

jumpingbean913
PV Newbie

What should I do?

Unread postby jumpingbean913 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:24 pm

What do you guys think I should do?
I have not jumped in a meet since July 2007, but I have been practicing all summer. I have an upcoming meet in March with my high school track team. I live in Indiana, but the meet is a big meet in Cincinnati, OH. All varsity people on my track team are going.

My problem is that my pole vault coach cannot make this meet. My P.R. from last year is 11'01", but in practice, I'm now jumping 12'-12'06". Would it be ok if the other varsity girl and I were each other's coach during this meet, or would that be completely unsafe? I don't know if I should just wait until the beginning of March to see if I am really comfortable vaulting on my pole, or if I just shouldn't go at all. It's a free trip for me, so it's not really a problem if I do or do not go, I was just wondering what you guys thought...
"Vaulting makes me lose control."

jcoover
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Nicholas Panozzo

Unread postby jcoover » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:20 pm

i say go for it!
"We can, by God, let our demons loose and just wail on!" - John L Parker

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:25 pm

Avoid doing anything you think your coach would not allow, and just be smart. Dont move up a pole until you blow through with the standards on 80, dont move up a pole and a grip at the same time, and adjust your run to where it is supposed to be. Also, dont hold higher than you are capable of. You should be fine!
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: What should I do?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:36 pm

jumpingbean913 wrote:My problem is that my pole vault coach cannot make this meet. My P.R. from last year is 11'01", but in practice, I'm now jumping 12'-12'06". Would it be ok if the other varsity girl and I were each other's coach during this meet, or would that be completely unsafe? I don't know if I should just wait until the beginning of March to see if I am really comfortable vaulting on my pole, or if I just shouldn't go at all. It's a free trip for me, so it's not really a problem if I do or do not go, I was just wondering what you guys thought...

That sounds like a decision best made between you, your coach, and possibly your parents. None of us know you, so we don't know how consistent you are, how independent you are, and how likely you are to make unsafe decisions.

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Re: What should I do?

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:28 pm

jumpingbean913 wrote:What do you guys think I should do?
I have not jumped in a meet since July 2007, but I have been practicing all summer. I have an upcoming meet in March with my high school track team. I live in Indiana, but the meet is a big meet in Cincinnati, OH. All varsity people on my track team are going.

My problem is that my pole vault coach cannot make this meet. My P.R. from last year is 11'01", but in practice, I'm now jumping 12'-12'06". Would it be ok if the other varsity girl and I were each other's coach during this meet, or would that be completely unsafe? I don't know if I should just wait until the beginning of March to see if I am really comfortable vaulting on my pole, or if I just shouldn't go at all. It's a free trip for me, so it's not really a problem if I do or do not go, I was just wondering what you guys thought...

Talk with your coach, parents and find who all is participating in the meet. If it were me, I would go to the meet with the team and compete just for the experience. I would think there will be many coaches and officials who will be there to assist you. Plus you are part of a TEAM and they will need your points. In practice work on preparing without your coach being there (warm up, steps, height progression) and you will be fine. The great thing about the pole vault is everyone helps each other wants you to do well. Good luck, I am sure you will be fine.

jumpingbean913
PV Newbie

Unread postby jumpingbean913 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:36 am

Thanks, guys. I think I'll just go and bring a few poles of different sizes that I feel comfortable on. I'm usually pretty consistent, so that shouldn't be a problem. Once again, thanks. :D
"Vaulting makes me lose control."

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”