Can't invert on my new pole

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Can't invert on my new pole

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Wed May 28, 2003 8:57 pm

ok, iv just gotten on a new pole, and everythings fine, except that i am not getting my hips or legs up, and rocking back. i am pretty much sitting on the bar when i go over :eek: i know i can invert, iv done it in drills all the time, i know how and what to do, and iv gotten it a few times in a full jump w/ this ople, but for some reason, i just cant do it nemore. doesn anybody know of anything i might be doing wrong once a bar is put up, that would keep me from being able to get upside-down? or ne suggestions?? anything would b appreciated. im close, but something is wrong thats keepin me from gettin it, and i dunno what it cud b. ~~thanx~

das_1971
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, bum
Lifetime Best: smthing lo
Favorite Vaulter: Don Pablo Espanol

Unread postby das_1971 » Wed May 28, 2003 9:50 pm

can you get your hips up with your older pole(s). If so, make sure when you change up to your new pole, you do the EXACT same things you did on your old pole(s).
Ow

higherflyer
PV Nerd
Expertise: College, High School, Club Coach

Unread postby higherflyer » Thu May 29, 2003 1:58 am

Did you move your grip up on the new pole? you could be holding to high.
what is the difference in pole size?

If you go from a 13’ pole holding the top, to a 14’ pole holding the top you will have problems with timing.
Try lowering your grip until you can do it then move up a 2 or 3 inches at a time.

Good Luck
Be Safe
Have Fun

Higher Flyers
Polevault Club

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”