learning to peak

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
VaulterLegionare
PV Newbie

learning to peak

Unread postby VaulterLegionare » Mon May 07, 2007 8:42 pm

Well im trying to learn to peak and the only drill so far I've been taught to do is where I do a backwards role and then when my legs are about to go over my head I push my hands down like doing a hand stand(so its basically a backwards hand stand), so i would like to know if anyone else knows of any other drills to help me with this
"Get your pole out of your *$%^!!!!!"

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Mon May 07, 2007 9:18 pm

that rollback drill is a good one, especially when done right.

are you trying to break out of the "flagging" habbit, or just trying to perfect your peak?

GMUVaulter89
PV Beginner

Unread postby GMUVaulter89 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:37 pm

haha this is called a back extension roll..cause as youre rolling backwards you extend your arms. but yeah this is a good drill as well as handstand hops(kicking into a handstand and "hopping" on your hands" and round offs (cartwheel landing on two feet) over a barrel or something similar.
wherever you go, go with all your heart..

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:37 pm

Also, do handstands on stairs. (Have someone spot you!) With one hand on a lower stair, and the other one on a higher stair, you can have your spotter pull you up some and you can push off the ground like you were pushing off of your pole.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:38 pm

Trampoline drills or even gymnastic backwards rolls can be used to simulate the push and pike over the bar. But personally ive found that when you have a lot of energy off the top of the pole, the pike comes automatically. But you really have to keep your energy moving the entire time you are on the pole, and you will know when that happens because the pole will recoil so quickly, you wont really have time to "pull"... just keep pressure. Ive found when that happens, my hips automatically reach their highest point as my legs drop. A que i was told when learning to pike was to try to literally PUSH your hips higher. In order to push them highest, your legs drop and chest stays low.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”