We are doomed. Repent and ask for forgiveness.

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.

Do you repent?

I do
68%
I don't
32%

Total votes: 71

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:55 pm

Agapit, I am a bit confused.

Could you clarify what force and the source of that force would cause the pole to bend if the top hand is released before pole/box contact?
Physics states that if the only force applied to the pole is the top hand moving upwards, there should be no way to determine what direction that bend will occur, if at all. In the realm of the human body, under those forces, it seems the first result would be top hand slip... blisters (thanks Tim for being the guinea pig).

Maybe I am just not reading and interpreting correctly.

Thanks.
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby vaultman18 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:17 pm

Tim you are on the right track. However you must consider how long you have been vaulting and what effect all those years of vaulting has on your results. I will say that taking off with one hand is not natural and it is not really controlable. The bottom hand provides a lot of control. I think the reason my athlete was able to do it was because she had no concept of how to bend the pole or that it would not bend if she didn't have her bottom hand on the pole. I believe these factors enabled her to take-off with proper free take-off and be very agressive instead of worrying about taking a pole to the face. I tried this myself a couple of days ago and was able to get some bend and I made the pit but my form was horrible. I had trouble being agressive thru the take-off.

tmilhon
PV Beginner

Unread postby tmilhon » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:55 pm

ok, i've been trying out the left arm pull idea, and it has it's merits. the biggest is that it slams you on your back very early and times up very consistently on top of the pole. it has not forced me to jump on smaller poles as I had thought it would, but the vault feels much different. I am used to my feet being even with my hands before I extend up the pole, but now my hands are at my knees when I extend up the pole. I am concerned about a loss of fly away because of this but have not experienced it. From 45' and 57' approaches, it has produced consistent 26" fly away (which for the shape i'm in isn't too bad). i need to get it on film and let you all look at it...i don't even know if i'm doing it right.

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:22 pm

SlickVT wrote:Agapit, I am a bit confused.

Could you clarify what force and the source of that force would cause the pole to bend if the top hand is released before pole/box contact?

I am confused as well. When did I say that you have to release the top hand?

Did you know that bamboo bent between 1 foot to 1 foot 8 inches with some vaulters? Did you also know that they did not push bamboo poles?

So, you should go to physics department at VT and ask a professor or an assistant professor for explanation. They will be able to explain it better in person. I am not sure how much knowledge you have in mechanics to try to explain it to you in posts.
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:55 pm

I'm sure Brian meant the bottom hand.....
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

hallvaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Randy Hall

Unread postby hallvaulter » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:44 pm

ashcraftpv wrote:I'm sure Brian meant the bottom hand.....

Adam...probably did mean the bottom
Coach Bob Phillips

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:17 pm

agapit wrote:
Did you know that bamboo bent between 1 foot to 1 foot 8 inches with some vaulters? Did you also know that they did not push bamboo poles?

So what do you think about bamboo example?
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

tmilhon
PV Beginner

Unread postby tmilhon » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:10 pm

something else i am experiencing from the "left arm pull" jump, that we've all been discussing, is bruising on my left arm when the pole straightens out. this usually does not happen to me...any ideas? what is wrong...

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:04 pm

agapit wrote:
agapit wrote:

So what do you think about bamboo example?

Im just spitballing, but maybe the bend didnt occur until they swung?
Do you have video of these vaults, because i would be interested to see how you concluded they did not push. I also just want to see someone jump 15+ feet on a bamboo pole :P.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

bamboo

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:11 pm

they didn'thave video back then!

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:26 pm

Bottom hand.... sorry.

So this releases immediately after pole/box contact?
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club

Blacksburg, Virginia

verticaltechnique.com

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Re: bamboo

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:35 pm

ladyvolspvcoach wrote:they didn'thave video back then!
so how do we know they didnt push? Im just so confused, is that word of mouth or are there pictures, what?
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”