The next 18' vaulter...

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

pole bender
PV Nerd

Unread postby pole bender » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:37 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:
pole bender wrote:
vault3rb0y wrote:
pole bender wrote:wheres spencer jumping? he surely can get 17'6". 17'9" would be a great way to end his jr year.
I think its deffinitly in him, its just a matter of having the patience to wait for it to come, at whatever meet it wants to happen at. We all hope our PR's come at national meets, but in reality you cant PR at meets of your choosing, unless you arent giving 100% in other places. Ive found i do best at meets where i run the 100, which loosens me up, and then i come in to vault when its slightly cool on the runway, and theres no pressure because everyone else is out. Then you can just jump :yes: .

does he even run the 100m? anyway , he can warm up without that(plus he'd probably not want to blow out a hamstring in the 100m). after a good stretch , some "pole" sprints in the grass and then 5 or so run ups/jumps. what else would he need?
No, most vaulters dont do this, they loosen up in different ways, but im usually in the 100 which gets me nice and loose. For huge meets i know his school tries to keep him in just vault, but sometimes they make him run the 200, buts its good for him! haha. he mentioned he ran the 100 once, wicked fast for having a bad start, apparently. 11.2

i doubt he runs any event. most likely just PVs. he is at too high a level to compete in other events(risk factor getting hurt). but who knows
? not me!

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:51 pm

pole bender wrote:
i doubt he runs any event. most likely just PVs. he is at too high a level to compete in other events(risk factor getting hurt). but who knows
? not me!
i do :P I went and did a high school visit during their season because im moving down to that high school this for next year. My mom lives out there now and my dad just got a good job, so i went to check out the good track programs at schools down there, suprise suprise!! the best junior in the country! haha
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

pole bender
PV Nerd

Unread postby pole bender » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:14 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:
pole bender wrote:
? not me!
i do :P I went and did a high school visit during their season because im moving down to that high school this for next year. My mom lives out there now and my dad just got a good job, so i went to check out the good track programs at schools down there, suprise suprise!! the best junior in the country! haha

so how fast can you run the 100m? fast im sure. but if it came down to "im a 10.8 100 guy and a 17' PVer...hmmm...which do i devote myself to?."

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:00 am

pole bender wrote:
vault3rb0y wrote:
pole bender wrote:
? not me!

so how fast can you run the 100m? fast im sure. but if it came down to "im a 10.8 100 guy and a 17' PVer...hmmm...which do i devote myself to?."

A 17' vault in HS is way more impressive than a 10.8. I see your point, but more than a few guys in the country run a 10.8 every year...

In my opinion, PV is more fun (obviously) but running will get you better recruiting, more scholarship oppertunities and stuff like that..

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”