Ever been disqualified for being 1lb. over your pole weight?

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

drcurran
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, USAT&F Official, PIAA Official
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Brian Sternberg

Weigh in -

Unread postby drcurran » Fri May 19, 2006 5:43 pm

I've never heard of weigh in after the competition. As someone said you could have gain a couple of pounds from fluids. As for .5 over! Over is over! Seems to me for the well coached vaulters the pole weight "thing" is never a problem. Just my .02

Dan

science geek
PV Whiz
Expertise: HS Coach, occasional beginning vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9' 6
Favorite Vaulter: Crash

Unread postby science geek » Tue May 23, 2006 11:08 am

I would agree with most people on this issue, they should have weighed everyone before the meet, and if there was controversy over your weight, that should have been addressed before the competition. Smaller shorter poles would have also taken care of this problem. Unless the pole you were using was the smallest pole in your progression, it makes more sense to use heavier smaller poles before going to a longer pole.

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Tue May 23, 2006 5:14 pm

In the real world, most don't have the option of going to a shorter, heavier pole. Kids get stuck jumping on what their school has. Unless you have an unlimited budget or some rich parents, a school is not going to have exactly every pole they need for every kid. Its a common problem enncountered in an expensive sport like ours.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue May 23, 2006 5:46 pm

That's for sure. We have around 35 poles and I still had to borrow 6 poles for Warren

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”