Plant Step always a foot under, NEED HELP

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

JCvaulter17
PV Newbie

Plant Step always a foot under, NEED HELP

Unread postby JCvaulter17 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:25 pm

Since i started vaulting i've always had a terrible step at takeoff, iam always 6 inches to a foot under and now iam trying to get on my bigger poles ( 15' - 15'6's ) and sometimes i cant even leave the ground because iam so far under, any helpful suggestions would be really helpful, iam yes i know about the slide box drills and they dont rele help.

flyingfox21
PV Beginner

Unread postby flyingfox21 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:54 pm

you just have to trust your step. i too have had this problem as well as others i know. the most likely reason that this happens is that you are so used to taking off from a certain spot that you think you will be out even though your step is actually on for the bigger pole. just trust it, dont stride out your last few steps into the box. know that you will be fine if you take off farther out than you normally do. just having the right mindset and confidence in yourself will help.
wether you think you can or think you can't, either way you'll be right

Aviendha
PV Pro
Expertise: Current Collegiate Vaulter

Unread postby Aviendha » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:42 pm

one thing I know some people have done...place a towel across the runway just inside where you SHOULD take off...if you hit the towel, you're under.

Flyingfox made a very good point...I know I've had that problem, feeling like I'm out, based on my distance from the pit, when really I would be dead on, but I stride out and put myself under.
~Why does everyone prefer those who lie and make themselves less than they are, rather than those who embrace who they are, rejoice in it, and refuse to pretend anything less?

ryansanta
PV Whiz

Unread postby ryansanta » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:13 am

http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/vie ... highlight=

Read the academy guys post, towards the end he explains what the problem is for many.

dafox
PV Whiz

Re: Plant Step always a foot under, NEED HELP

Unread postby dafox » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:54 am

JCvaulter17 wrote:Since i started vaulting i've always had a terrible step at takeoff, iam always 6 inches to a foot under and now iam trying to get on my bigger poles ( 15' - 15'6's ) and sometimes i cant even leave the ground because iam so far under, any helpful suggestions would be really helpful, iam yes i know about the slide box drills and they dont rele help.

I had this problem for 10 years, and finally found out why...

question #1: when you ARE on, do you feel like you're 6" to a foot out? If so, I'd be willing to bet that when you plant, you set your right hand behind you.

(assuming this is the case... my explaination:)
since you're used to taking off under, your body has started to anticipate this, and put your right behind your head. it prolly FEELS like your right is straight up, but in reality its behind you.

most vaulters like to either be dead on or have a *tiny* free takeoff. most arent Markov with a HUGE free TO. "on" is usually the sense of feeling the pole connect to the back of the box. that being said, grab a stick, put it in the box, get your 'proper' takeoff (right straight up over your head). if your right is vertical, this feels good.
now, put yourself a foot under. feel how your shoulder is. now (the important part), back up a foot WITHOUT moving your shoulder. notice that the pole comes out of the box about a foot. This is why you feel a foot out when your coach says you're dead on!

solution: next time you jump, shove your right in front of you as you turn the pole over halfway through your drop/plant. since behind you feels like its vertical, what you 'feel' is forward will actually BE vertical.

alterier fix: sometimes this is caused by your hands being late. your body will move your hand behind you to give more time for it to get all the way up. you may need to start your plant a hair sooner if this is the case.

also, take a GOOD look at your drills (hangs/popups). this 'setting the hand behind you' typically originates in those drills. if you do it in drills, you'll do it in the vault.

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:01 pm

I am currently dealing with the same problem and being only sucessful jumping from a short run.. but anyway I found my problem to be in the running mechanics.. after the midmark I tend to run flat and not get my knees up and also lean back in order to try and run faster.. this causes long flat strids whcih makes it really easy to "reach" for the box at the end of the run which will do a darn good job leaving you with an under take-off step.. My advice would be to examine your approach run and work on running CORRECTLY :D
What have you done today to get better?

ryansanta
PV Whiz

Unread postby ryansanta » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:43 pm

dafox

very good post

makes me think about some of the problems i've had
and at this very instant i can apply what you've just said to all the days i've been under and the days I was one, luckily I have video of both

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:12 pm

Beginner to Bubka - page 166 - may help clarify the problem.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”