starting height?!?!?

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

krupat
PV Beginner

starting height?!?!?

Unread postby krupat » Mon May 30, 2005 9:31 am

hey, im recently getting up to 4 meters, consisantly with 4 on first attempts, and ive made 4.15m. my question is, i need to know what hieghts i should come in at, and how many jumps until i get to 4.30m(what im thinking im going to get). do u think i should start with my short run on my weak pole and get a warmup height at 3.75m, or not come in till later with my big pole. i dont want to get screwed over by attempts on lower heights, but i dont want to come in too high that i fault out. what is the average number of jumps for a meet, i have pretty good endurance too.just wondering, thanks for the help.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Mon May 30, 2005 10:12 am

I have always started about a foot under my PR. That way I will get 2 jumps at heights that I know I can make. Also if I don't clear them on teh first attempt for some reason I will only be on my 5th jump or so at my PR.
Man Up and Jump

BigStick Club
PV Nerd

Unread postby BigStick Club » Mon May 30, 2005 12:04 pm

Me too....starting about a foot- foot and a half under my pr lets me go over heights that I can at least muscle my way through if something's awry and a good warmup for the show if it's all good.

PCHSpolevaulter16
PV Fan

Unread postby PCHSpolevaulter16 » Mon May 30, 2005 9:46 pm

most meets i start where ever i feel comfortable after i do my warm ups....some meets i start a foot less then my pr and others i start at or 6" lower.....always works out for me :-D

pcCMC8905
PV Beginner

Unread postby pcCMC8905 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:34 pm

yea i ussually start about a foot to a foot and a half under my PR. but sometimes i adjust my starting height depending on how i'm feeling or how i've been doing in practice lately or weather and stuff like that.
"Vaulters aren't like other guys that run track, they're a whole nother breed"

~Words of wisdom from Coach Paretta

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”