Too big of a pole jump?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

JTred
PV Whiz

Too big of a pole jump?

Unread postby JTred » Mon May 09, 2005 8:44 pm

I have wpial qualifiers on wednesday and it will be the first meet i will be weighed at. I'm using a 135 13' pole. My weight fluxuates between 133 and 137. I've been trying to not eat as much and stay away from salt (retains water) but my scale at home is not accurate. The only one that is is in the nurse's office. I may take one of our 140's as a reserve just in case. I have a 12' mystic that I pr'd 9 on and I also have a 14' spirit. Would 135 13' to 14' 140 be too big of jump? I'm at the top of the 13' and having no problems with penetration.

sidjamin
PV Newbie

Re: Too big of a pole jump?

Unread postby sidjamin » Mon May 09, 2005 9:08 pm

I would have to say that that is a huge pole jump. It may be possible, but only if you are absolutely crushing the 13' 135. I currently jump on a at the begginning of this season, i tried a similar jump, but failed. I was on a 13' 160 and when i tried to jump on a 14' 160 i got thrown back onto the runway. just now i am able to get on the 14' 160 (and went 12' with it). enough about myself. how many steps are you running from? you may be able to move back one left and that could help you get on the bigger pole. hope that helps. IM me at sidjamin if you want to talk vaulting.

Texasvaulter07
PV Whiz

Unread postby Texasvaulter07 » Mon May 09, 2005 11:00 pm

i went from a 12'6 150 to a 13'6 160. It took me like a week before i was able to get enough penetration to get into the pit

VaulteRachello
PV Nerd

Unread postby VaulteRachello » Mon May 09, 2005 11:39 pm

i am currently working on switching from an 11' 120 to a 12' 120(and then hopefully on to a 12'125) but even that is not the easiest switch. it took me about a week to get the power i needed to get my grip higher, and get decent penetration, and im still not getting much bend out of the bigger pole. if i were you i would not wait till the day of the meet to try out the bigger pole. if i were you i would try out the 14' pole at practice first. see how it goes.
good luck! :D

bvpv07
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Tue May 10, 2005 2:44 am

I would definitely try it out first at practice. If it works, great! If you are pretty close to getting on it and are comfortable with using it, then I would bring it along to your meet and use it for some of your later jumps (the extra adrenaline that you will have at your meet will give you a boost to get on that larger pole). Good luck!

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Tue May 10, 2005 9:08 am

are you holding the "top" of the 13' pole or 12'6 grip??? and are you bending the pole? or maybe sliding your grip??

the reason i'm asking is this.. a 12'6" grip is an average jump of 12'

i know there is no time to change your technique but a bigger/longer pole and or higher grip doesn't sound like the answer, although you have to be on a pole rated above your weight..

can you penetrate on a stiff pole with a 11"6 grip??? if so that should give you a 10-10'6" jump.

sorry i'm rambling without a clear picture of what your jump looks like.

sounds like your technique is going to limit your possible adjustments.. run-plant-swing, be safe and give it your best shot..

dj

ps keep us updated...
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

VaultBrad
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultBrad » Tue May 10, 2005 9:43 am

dj wrote:are you holding the "top" of the 13' pole or 12'6 grip??? and are you bending the pole? or maybe sliding your grip??

the reason i'm asking is this.. a 12'6" grip is an average jump of 12'

i know there is no time to change your technique but a bigger/longer pole and or higher grip doesn't sound like the answer, although you have to be on a pole rated above your weight..

can you penetrate on a stiff pole with a 11"6 grip??? if so that should give you a 10-10'6" jump.

sorry i'm rambling without a clear picture of what your jump looks like.

sounds like your technique is going to limit your possible adjustments.. run-plant-swing, be safe and give it your best shot..

dj

ps keep us updated...

all good questions... and good observations.

two years ago I went from a 13'6" 175 gripping 13'4" to a 15' 170 gripping 14'6" in one meet. so it is possible, but i would never reccomend it after learning a thing or two about pole vaulting. it sounds like you should be able to get on the 14' 140, but you will need to make changes to your technique (run, plant, take off, swing, etc.) as mentioned above by dj it is a little late to do this. also you should be able to jump alot higher than you are given your grip. i might even suggest going down to that 12' mystic that you mentioned and possibly taking a shorter approach if you are blowing through it.

so if you do want to get on that 140 id say bring it to your meet and hop on it when the adrenaline is pumping. thats when you will be able to move up poles.

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Tue May 10, 2005 9:50 am

good suggestion .. shorter run ..12' pole..

11-6 grip... 10-6 vault....... PR?!

i talked all around it but left it out...

:yes: vaultbrad

dj

JTred
PV Whiz

Unread postby JTred » Tue May 10, 2005 6:56 pm

I've decided I'm going to weigh myself before we leave tomorrow and if I'm over, I'll take the 12'. It shouldn't really be a problem though (I was 134 this morning with jeans on. I'm still ashamed of myself for not vaulting at least my handhold, but I've got no more time left, the meet is tomorrow. I'll take a camera and post the video up asap. Until then you can watch this (this was a pitiful day) https://home.comcast.net/~taylor147/onl ... 3_0001.wmv

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Tue May 10, 2005 8:47 pm

hey
we have seen that jump...

don't worry about jumping your grip.. that doesn't happen until a vaulter is gripping around 12'

on the other thread i suggested you grip up a little.. 4" and get your plant up.. early..

push your standards back and swing.. feet back over the top of the pole as fast as you can.. after a tall plant though!!!

dj

good luck

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”