Head Wind

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Benjamin1205
PV Beginner

Head Wind

Unread postby Benjamin1205 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:26 pm

I live in Michigan and lately it has been very windy. Our mats are set up so you run south down the runway, but the wind is always blowing north. I was wondering if the wind usually just blows in a random direction or if their is a certain way it usually blows. Today the wind was 15 mph going north and yesterday it was 12 mph going north. Last year our mats were facing the other way and i had very few problems with the wind but our coach wanted us the put the mats in a different spot this year and everyday we have been vaulting against the wind. Does anyone else have problems with the wind? Will the wind settle down, is it always very windy in April, I never really noticed. What should I do?

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:36 pm

A human sacrifice to the wind god will usually do, jp of course. Most of the time wind is random, unless u are b/w buildings or hills in which it will either go one way or the complete opposite. My advice...don't jump on windy days if at all possible, if not...just know u have to follow through a lil harder.
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

RidinHigh
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter/Still Jumping
Lifetime Best: 5.05
Favorite Vaulter: Jeff Hartwig

Unread postby RidinHigh » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:40 pm

Windy day SUCK! trust me I know from the experience I had today. I seriously had to wait like 5 minutes to vault while I was standing on the runway. It got so bad it started blowing our pit out of position! That is when I decided it was enough to call it quits for the day.
Pole Vault Explosion- July 4th, 2009 St. Charles, Missouri
PoleVaultExplosion.com

PVPirate26
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby PVPirate26 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:45 pm

head winds are brutal but wind rocks when it is coming from behind!! i PRed by a foot last year when i had an awesome tail wind!! ;)

moehill
PV Wannabe

Unread postby moehill » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:24 am

you ought to live in west texas, the wind always blows here, the last three days it has gust 35-40 mph and our pit only go one direction its a wonder we ever get to vault. I feel your pain

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:25 am

Im in Michigan too, and iv had to deal with a crazy strong head wind the last 3 days too. Today it was so bad i didnt even bother trying to vault, its getting REALLY annoying. I dont remember having too much problem in the past, but the wind seems to always be a head wind so far this year :mad: :no:
What have you done today to get better?

Markpv314
PV Beginner

Unread postby Markpv314 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:36 am

Our pit used to be good but last year they cut down a bunch of orange groves around our school to build houses and thats when the wind sarted to pick up. Everyday we vault in head winds and we even compete in meets that way.I cant think of a more annoying thing to try and jump through. It is not only difficult but dangerous as well.

DaRuk
PV Fan

Unread postby DaRuk » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:50 am

We have a headwind at our school too. Headwinds suck. :mad:

But I think they can be a good thing too. I have probably vaulted a total of 2 days in practice this season. Those were the days I was up to fighting it; all the other days I do the sprint workouts, and approach work in the long jump. I have already increased my pr by 6 inches and there is still over 2 months till the state meet.

Headwinds kind of force you to do other things (like work on speed and get faster); which is why in my case I think the headwind is actually beneficial. It depends on what level you are on, but I think leaving vaulting for special occassions really forces you to do the best you can when possible.

Aviendha
PV Pro
Expertise: Current Collegiate Vaulter

Unread postby Aviendha » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:10 pm

actually, winds kind of do have a pattern...there's a global pattern, jet streams and all that...ever notice that storms usually come from the same direction a lot of the time? here stuff usually moves northeast/eastish...
thats not to say that winds won't come from every direction, sometimes in the same day :dazed: we've had switches almost 180 degrees before!
~Why does everyone prefer those who lie and make themselves less than they are, rather than those who embrace who they are, rejoice in it, and refuse to pretend anything less?

Vaulter99
PV Beginner

Unread postby Vaulter99 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:45 pm

The winds are going to remiain in that direction forever. Trust Me!! Ever since I started vaulting the winds at our pit have always pushed against me. And to make it worse, The sun is always dead in our eyes so, not only are we constrained by the wind, but we are also blinded by the sunlight.

jmpngblonde
PV Nerd

Unread postby jmpngblonde » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:35 pm

headwind can be dangerous if its like 30-40 mph, but if its safe jumping into it on purpose is good for you. it come in handy ot be used to headwind when you have one at big meets...last year at regionals i won on misses because headwind didnt bother me but it bothered some other people. And maybe Im just weird, but 2 weeks ago at Disney i prd by an inch in headwind.... :)

distancejumper
PV Pro

Unread postby distancejumper » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:38 pm

It's been windy here in minnesota too. today was our first day outside. we just did drills into the long jump pits

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”