PV Pet Peeves

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

rabbit1
PV Beginner

Unread postby rabbit1 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:15 pm

I think pratice PR sometimes has merit. In the HS section Txpolevaulter says 13-6 in a meet and 14-0 in practice. Well this time of year there hasn't been a meet for 4 months and won't be a meet till at least January. This kid is 14 and doesn't turn 15 until mid March. I think he is just excited about possibly jumping his age in a meet two or three months from now. (I hope I'm there to see it! Yaaahooooooo!!!)
Your plant looks like a deer camp squat!

csuvaulter
PV Fan

Unread postby csuvaulter » Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:46 pm

It's different if you're just talking about your training or goals, or if you had a good practice or something...I get excited about clearing something great in practice too. When I say "Practice PR" people are annoying, it refers more to people who, whenever you ask them their PR, say, "Well, it's ___, but in practice it's ____." They do this forever, all throughout the season (after they've had a million chances to officially jump this height).

Also, many people clear bungees in practice, which may have been touched or sagging. I know plenty of people whose practice PRs are two feet higher than their real PRs because they really didn't clear the height. These people make it very confusing to give PRs. So that's what I think is annoying.

By the way, that is great that the kid you're talking about might jump his age! I hope he does it, and I agree he should be excited! :yes:

fong520
PV Pro

Unread postby fong520 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:29 pm

hmmm wat about the people who cleared higher in a meet but never that high in prac... say i cleared 12 at a meet once but only 11'6 at prac adnstuff??..
i run, therefore im buff.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

PR

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:52 pm

Even though we have some really GREAT (from the coaches point of view) practices, I expect my athletes to do better in meets than in practice......it is after all .....P R A C T I C E!!!!! No adrenanline, no real psych, no thing at stake......how can you do better in practice than you do in a MEET!!!!!!! Especially a big one!! :mad: :dazed: :D

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Re: PR

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:01 am

ladyvolspvcoach wrote:Even though we have some really GREAT (from the coaches point of view) practices, I expect my athletes to do better in meets than in practice......it is after all .....P R A C T I C E!!!!! No adrenanline, no real psych, no thing at stake......how can you do better in practice than you do in a MEET!!!!!!! Especially a big one!! :mad: :dazed: :D

i 100% agree :yes: but i think when lots of people say "practic pr's" they talk about bungees that they just managed to touch with their feet or something.. thats when it gets rather annoying.
What have you done today to get better?

i_heart_pv
PV Fan

Unread postby i_heart_pv » Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:26 am

saraf wrote:Ohh and also when people aren't haveing fun around the pit. Thats suppoed to be a happy place, maybe a little bit serious but mostly happy. Not sad and angry and confused.

I totally agree with this! the people at my school are so mean-spirited and will just put you down for having one bad jump. This just puts EVERYONE in a crappy mood and makes everyone else's vaults that much worse b/c you're worried that the other vaulters will say something else mean :-(...the pit SHOULD be a veeeryy happy place

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:02 am

Lefties. Lefties annoy me. Take that.
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

nipger
PV Fan

Re: PV Pet Peeves

Unread postby nipger » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:24 am

csuvaulter wrote:
I also hate:
- people who only want to practice vaulting and are mysteriously absent on running/lifting days

LOL

uconnvaulta
PV Whiz

Unread postby uconnvaulta » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:50 pm

If there is anything else to complain about in this board, we are all way to busy thinkin about stuff we shouldnt be, even though everythign everyone has mentioned is totally true. but yeah no more i cant bare it anymore, just one thing to recap,

dont run your steps back at a meet

dont be unhappy at the pit ( kinda weird one )

dont borrow peoples chalk

Dont throw your poles around

dont lie about your PR or say your practice PR is higher than your meet PR

dont say if i had this pole i wouldve made the height

and most of all, stop writing on this board i think it is tapped :mad:
Train Harder than your competition

Peepers PV
PV Pro

Unread postby Peepers PV » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:50 pm

SlickVT wrote:Lefties. Lefties annoy me. Take that.

haha adam!

P.S. i still :heart: you bunches :P !
"look, you either join the team and go to practice or do drugs- that's just how it is! it's track or crack!" - mikey

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:29 pm

uconnvaulta wrote:If there is anything else to complain about in this board, we are all way to busy thinkin about stuff we shouldnt be, even though everythign everyone has mentioned is totally true. but yeah no more i cant bare it anymore, just one thing to recap,

dont run your steps back at a meet

dont be unhappy at the pit ( kinda weird one )

dont borrow peoples chalk

Dont throw your poles around

dont lie about your PR or say your practice PR is higher than your meet PR

dont say if i had this pole i wouldve made the height

and most of all, stop writing on this board i think it is tapped :mad:

So what SHOULD we be thinking about?

Could it be that you took offense to a pet peeve named in this thread b/c you do/have exhibited it?

Suggestion: if you think the board is tapped and you can't bare it anymore, stop reading it and let the rest of us enjoy it.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

uconnvaulta
PV Whiz

Unread postby uconnvaulta » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:00 pm

haha wow relax big guy, i was just saying but when the board gets to around 50 posts about the same thing it seems to be beating the dead horse, i didnt take offense to any of these because i dont do any of these, so step back relax and take a breather. i could care less so have your fun buddy, happy thanksgiving
Train Harder than your competition

Return to “Pole Vault - General”