Important pole changing question. HELP!

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Elixir17
PV Newbie
Expertise: high school
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Important pole changing question. HELP!

Unread postby Elixir17 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:26 am

okay, so my pr is 10'0, and for some reason, its really hard to get these days. I am about 5'7 or 5'8 and 133 pounds. I am currently using a pacer mystic 12 foot 140 weight

- Is my pole the right size for me? if so what is the maximum height i could get with this pole?
- Should i move up? or stay? how important is this>?

-Thank you for listening to my question :]

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Important pole changing question. HELP!

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:51 am

Elixir17 wrote: ... my pr is 10'0 ... I am about 5'7 or 5'8 and 133 pounds. I am currently using a pacer mystic 12 foot 140 weight.

- Is my pole the right size for me? if so what is the maximum height i could get with this pole?
- Should i move up? or stay? how important is this>?

You need to provide more information to get a proper answer to your question. Like how fast you're running, how hard you're jumping off the ground, how good your technique is, how high you're gripping, and how much the pole is bending. Actually, at 10-0, the less bend the better. I realize that you can't answer these questions very well, so I suggest that you post a vid to youtube and we'll take a look at it.

Your focus should be on your technique ... rather than on your pole selection. The pole should be the least of your worries.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:45 am

How high are you holding, where are your standards normally, and are you bending the pole?

If you are holding at the max grip on the pole, and clearing the bar with the standards all the way back, then you'll probably need a bigger pole soon. If you are vaulting with your standards closer than 31.5", you do not need a bigger pole yet.

xxartanisxx
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11-6
Favorite Vaulter: Beano

Unread postby xxartanisxx » Sun May 02, 2010 2:09 am

Ahah same exact size as me personally i use a 13' and 14' 130 pacer. I grip between 12 and 12 6 most the time so you could try that. I normally blow through the 13' so youll have to play around with it and see what works best for you.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”