qualifying heights for state competition in your state???

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

PvaultinGirl
PV Whiz

qualifying heights for state competition in your state???

Unread postby PvaultinGirl » Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:22 pm

so what do you have to get in your state in order to qualify for state championships?? for AA school guys they have to get-12'03 and AAA guys had to get-13'00. For the AAA ladies-9'6 and for AA gals- 8'6. that's only in outdoor track. so what do ya have to get in your state??? just wonderin....
POLE VAULTING....Fear is NOT and option!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:42 pm

In Washington you qualify by being vaulter number whatever in your district or region. If you don't place in the top whatever, but you meet a qualifying standard you get to go anyway.

The standards are (too) high, the average of the 3rd place finisher at State the past 3 years (for your classification). I don't remember the standards off the top of my head... I'm sure Zack knows them so I'll let him or whoever post them :P

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:06 pm

well, in Arizona, i only know the 5A ones....for men it's 13' 9" automatic and for girls i believe it's 9' 9" (not super sure on that one, vaultfreak may be better to answer that one) but those are automatic qualification, and like top two boys and top two girls in each region go to state
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

zack

Unread postby zack » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:19 pm

Thanks Becca. Only if I get to stop being a PV Newbie. ;) They're just on the WIAA website...

Well for 2003 for 4A boys its 14-7 and girls is 11-0. Plus you can only qualify based on these standards at your district meet so they're basically worthless because at those heights you're either gonna win the district meet or place high enough to advance.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:28 pm

zack wrote:Thanks Becca. Only if I get to stop being a PV Newbie. ;)

*poof* ok you are not a newbie anymore ;) haha it really just goes by how many posts you make :P

VaultFreak
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultFreak » Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:40 am

For girls in Arizona it is 9'3, but you have to get it in a qualifying meet such as an invitational or regionals. Unless you get top two at regionals, then you can still go.
Pole Vaulters get high!

lavasteal
PV Beginner

Unread postby lavasteal » Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:20 pm

i didn't know they had schools above AAA ::feels sheltered:: well, for 2A the indoor standard is 8'6" and i believe top six advance per level (distric region states)
Who else gets to say they fly?

Troff-USA
PV Beginner

Unread postby Troff-USA » Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:09 pm

In Georgia, there are no qualifying marks to get into the state meet. If you are one of the top 2 finishers in your region meet, you are in the state meet. Eight regions per classification, so 16 vaulters at state!

Girls vault was an official event for the first time this year in Georgia!

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:54 am

i'm not a huge fan of not having outside qualifiers....i mean, suppose youre the best jumper in the state, have one bad meet at regionals, then all of a sudden you cant go to state....i just dont like that idea
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.

-Stephen King

PvaultinGirl
PV Whiz

Unread postby PvaultinGirl » Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:15 am

yeah that's what i like about VA. vaulting. If you get state qualifying height at ANY invitational meet during any time of the season , then you are automatically going to states no matter how bad you do after that (even if you come in like last place at regionals or something). Or if you are able to place in the top 8 at regionals ( i think it's top 8 but i can't remember), then you also move on to states even if your height is not "state qualifying".
POLE VAULTING....Fear is NOT and option!

VaultFreak
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultFreak » Sun Oct 27, 2002 3:02 pm

You can still go to state if you qualify at a meet before regionals, that's how a few schools end up with like 7 vaulters. Steven jumped like 15' at the Tolleson invititational and that was qualifying, (he did 16 at a dual meet) and I don't think he went higher than that afterwards, he didnt' even compete at regionals and he still went to state.
Pole Vaulters get high!

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Sun Oct 27, 2002 6:19 pm

VaultFreak wrote:You can still go to state if you qualify at a meet before regionals, that's how a few schools end up with like 7 vaulters. Steven jumped like 15' at the Tolleson invititational and that was qualifying, (he did 16 at a dual meet) and I don't think he went higher than that afterwards, he didnt' even compete at regionals and he still went to state.
yeah but then again, steven is injured ALL THE TIME. Did you hear he already broke his hand this year?
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”