No More Bungees?

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

UFDeca
PV Beginner

No More Bungees?

Unread postby UFDeca » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:42 pm

According to the 2009 USATF manual you are not allowed to warm up with bungees anymore. I was at a meet this past weekend, Jimmy Carnes Invite, in Gainesville and the officials were very adament about not letting anyone put up a bungee. I looked up the rules and it is actually in a rule in the 2009 manual. Also, it says that there can not be a coaches box and each athlete needs to be weighed in and have their poles verified against their weight. Has anyone else had any problems with this? Hopefully this is just a USATF rule and not NCAA.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: No More Bungees?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:37 pm

UFDeca wrote:According to the 2009 USATF manual you are not allowed to warm up with bungees anymore. I was at a meet this past weekend, Jimmy Carnes Invite, in Gainesville and the officials were very adament about not letting anyone put up a bungee. I looked up the rules and it is actually in a rule in the 2009 manual. Also, it says that there can not be a coaches box and each athlete needs to be weighed in and have their poles verified against their weight. Has anyone else had any problems with this? Hopefully this is just a USATF rule and not NCAA.

If it said anything about weighing in vaulters, then you were reading the USATF Youth rules which are different than the regular USATF rules.

You have to remember that not every meet you might go to as a college vaulter uses NCAA rules. The Jimmy Carnes meet was not run by UF, it was run by a different group and had all ages, therefore I imagine they were using USATF rules.

I don't remember what the NCAA rule is about using a bungee in warmups, I am sure someone on here can post about it. I know it was outlawed for high school.

It's always important to know what set of rules the officials are following.

kev44000
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt & Mark Hollis

Unread postby kev44000 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Weighing and pole inspections are usually at National Meets in High School, but they do weigh you and inspect poles at the Texas Relays. At a regular meet in Oklahoma even the state meet none of that goes down. I have been to four college meets this year no bunge were used.
Last edited by kev44000 on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:46 pm

Can anybody source the 'no bungee' rule in the rulebook?
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

UFDeca
PV Beginner

Unread postby UFDeca » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:14 pm

The official 2009 USATF rule book does not come out until next month but I found this on http://virginia.usatf.org/Bill's%20Virg ... 1-2009.pdf which seems to be an officials notes from the 2009 conference.

Here are some highlights from the website: See (2) D

(1) The common ground within all four rules books when calling a foul or enforcing a competition procedure are:
A. It is a failed attempt, after the vault, the bar does not remain supported by the pegs because of any direct action of the competitor
while vaulting.
B. It is a failed attempt if the competitor steadies the bar (pushes it back) on the pegs during the attempt.
C. It is a failed attempt that the competitor without clearing the bar, any part of the competitor’s body or the pole touches the ground, the landing area beyond the vertical plane of the inside edge (the zero line) of the box.
D. It is a failed attempt, after leaving the ground places his/her lower hand above the upper one or moves the upper hand higher on the pole.
E. It is a failed attempt if the competitor fails to initiate the trials within the time prescribed.
(2) Let’s look at the rules differences - primarily with the NFHS.
A. The length of the pole is restricted by manufacture’s in the etchings/ serial number / code bar on the pole. Rule 7-5-4 (Note) states
that “any altering of the pole renders it illegal.” If caught during the inspections by the Implement Inspector or the HFJ, the pole is rejected & impounded. It is up to the competitor/coach to find a legal pole in order to compete. If under protest, it is caught during the competition, the competitor is disqualified.
B. The number of layers of tape used on the grip is restricted to not more than two layers. These bindings must not be above the top hand hold. If under protest, disqualification if discovered during the competition.
C. The pole used by a high school competitor must have a 1” circular band in a contrasting color the reflects the pole rating. If under
protest, disqualification of the competitor if discovered during the competition.
D. The competitors shall not use a bungee cord during warm-ups.
E. The competitor must be weighed or his/her weight attested to by his/her head coach at check in..
F. The pins that support the crossbar are longer than the USATF/NCAA - 76mm(3”) for high school.
G. A vault box collar of 2” thickness is required.
H. The standards setting are different - 15.5” (40cm) to 31.5” (80cm).
I. Tape other than that required to cover an open wound and gloves worn by the competitor are illegal.
J. The competitor may not use the pole from another competitor without the weight to pole rating being verified prior to the competition
beginning. If discovered during competition, the competitor is disqualified.
K. Measurements will be made in the Imperial system ( feet & inches) L. The competitor leaves the ground and starts his/her rotation then fails to clear the bar is a failed attempt.
M. The competitor has 1 ½ minutes (90 seconds) to complete their attempt- (30-seconds longer than all the other books.) Additional time is allotted when only 2-3 or 1 competitor remain in the competition.
N. Runway marking other than2-6” pieces of tape may be approved by the games committee ( half tennis balls) prior to the start of competition.
O. In high school competition, they are allowed to have a coaches box. (NCAA & USATF do not allow coaches boxes adjacent to the event and inside the competition area any more.)
P. The delayed entry on a competitor into the competition allow for one run through after the passing of three heights after the start of the competition.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:52 pm

We're muddling things a bit.

Here is the 2009-2010 NCAA rule book: http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads ... 66ffe7.pdf

I do not see anything in there about bungees.

So if you are competing at a competition that is being held under NCAA rules, bungees may be allowed in warmups (but that doesn't mean the officials have to allow it, it just means it is not prohibited).

If your competition is being held under USATF or NFHS rules, bungees are not allowed.

If you don't know what rules are in place, ask.

littlebigboy1
PV Newbie

Unread postby littlebigboy1 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:56 pm

If you break a pole, you cannot use someone elses??? Is this HS, College or Elite???

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:33 pm

littlebigboy1 wrote:If you break a pole, you cannot use someone elses??? Is this HS, College or Elite???

Where did you see that?

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:05 am

UFDeca wrote:M. The competitor has 1 ½ minutes (90 seconds) to complete their attempt- (30-seconds longer than all the other books.) Additional time is allotted when only 2-3 or 1 competitor remain in the competition.

For HS it used to be that you had to START a run that was carried to completion within the 90 seconds. Has this changed?

- master

master
PV Lover

Unread postby master » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:16 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
littlebigboy1 wrote:If you break a pole, you cannot use someone elses??? Is this HS, College or Elite???

Where did you see that?

UFDeca wrote:J. The competitor may not use the pole from another competitor without the weight to pole rating being verified prior to the competition

If it is true that you must confirm your weight and the pole's rating before the competition starts, that would mean you most likely could not borrow anyone's pole for any reason unless you anticipated the need. Most vaulters don't anticipate breaking a pole. ;)

Off topic, but just a reminder, any competition jump where your pole breaks is not counted as an attempt (at least for HS).

- master

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby vaultman18 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:04 pm

master wrote:For HS it used to be that you had to START a run that was carried to completion within the 90 seconds. Has this changed?

It is still the same.

master wrote:
rainbowgirl28 wrote:

Where did you see that?

UFDeca wrote:J. The competitor may not use the pole from another competitor without the weight to pole rating being verified prior to the competition

If it is true that you must confirm your weight and the pole's rating before the competition starts, that would mean you most likely could not borrow anyone's pole for any reason unless you anticipated the need. Most vaulters don't anticipate breaking a pole. ;)

Off topic, but just a reminder, any competition jump where your pole breaks is not counted as an attempt (at least for HS).

- master

The rule does not say "prior"

master
PV Lover

Unread postby master » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:46 pm

vaultman18 wrote:The rule does not say "prior"

Thanks for that info. I was just going by what was posted in UFDeca's list.

- master

Return to “Pole Vault - College”