Tape Marks

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Tape Marks

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Sun May 28, 2006 11:15 am

What are the rules for HS about making your mark on the runways during competition? Also, is it legal to put a small marker near your takeoff mark?

Russ
PV Master

Unread postby Russ » Sun May 28, 2006 11:32 pm

The rule states that you cannot put marks on the runway but that you can place markers outside the runway. So, to be safe, if you use tape, put it outside of the white lines that constitute the boundaries of the runway. I've started putting markers that stick in the grass right next to the runway.

The same rule applies for the takeoff mark - nothing is permitted on the runway itself.
Russ

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Sun May 28, 2006 11:33 pm

Thanks Russ!

drcurran
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, USAT&F Official, PIAA Official
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Brian Sternberg

runway marks

Unread postby drcurran » Tue May 30, 2006 8:05 am

I think Russ has it correct. No marks on the runway only to the side. Also, nothing at the take off area. The other stipulation in the rules (I think - did not get the book out) only two marks per athlete. Since everyone uses "mid-marks", as "meet management" I like to put down as many mid marks as the vaulters need. Also, marking material must be approved by "meet management" and shoes are not allowed. Guess "they" don't want Niki getting any free advertising.

Dan

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: runway marks

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue May 30, 2006 11:38 am

drcurran wrote:Also, marking material must be approved by "meet management" and shoes are not allowed. Guess "they" don't want Niki getting any free advertising.

Dan

I think the concern with shoes has to do with people moving them, not realizing they are markers.

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Tue May 30, 2006 10:08 pm

Only the NCAA by rule prohibits the use of shoes.
That being said, the "games committee" folks can place restrictions on the material used for markers at any level. Pole Vault officials are not members of the GC.

Why one would use a shoe can only be explained by the athlete, like Becca says, it's too easy to have it accidentally moved out of the way.
Tape is by far the best material or maybe a half tennis ball or small cone (provided if can taped down).

Speaking of mid-markers. I carry two strips sold by VSAthletics that I put down along side the runway. A 31'-39' and a 41'-49' red strip with white numbers about 5" wide.

These seem fine for HS level competition, but I'm finding that more and more college level competitors would like something in the 50'-60' range.
Been told (by VSAthletics) that the strips were designed for both levels.
Any comments from vaulters as to a mid marker strip for that range?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue May 30, 2006 11:26 pm

Vaultref wrote:Only the NCAA by rule prohibits the use of shoes.
That being said, the "games committee" folks can place restrictions on the material used for markers at any level. Pole Vault officials are not members of the GC.

I know at USATF JOs a few years ago they would not allow shoes, but I guess that must have been a games committee decision.

I've been at meets where the official (on his own, not from the games committee) only allowed white tape. I was colored mine with markers to try and use it as a speed mark, but it wasn't the same.

Why one would use a shoe can only be explained by the athlete, like Becca says, it's too easy to have it accidentally moved out of the way.

I used a tennis shoe at Kansas Relays last year because it was a raised runway, and I had the shoe on the ground by the runway. But yeah, usually shoes are not a good idea.

Tape is by far the best material or maybe a half tennis ball or small cone (provided if can taped down).

I use a tennis ball and a cone. I usually try to make sure I have a little piece of tape underneath in case they get kicked by someone (they often do).

Speaking of mid-markers. I carry two strips sold by VSAthletics that I put down along side the runway. A 31'-39' and a 41'-49' red strip with white numbers about 5" wide.

These seem fine for HS level competition, but I'm finding that more and more college level competitors would like something in the 50'-60' range.
Been told (by VSAthletics) that the strips were designed for both levels.
Any comments from vaulters as to a mid marker strip for that range?

Part of the problem is some people use 4 step mids and some people use 6 step mids. For beginning high school girls, you would easily see 4 step mids from 27' to 31'. I don't know elite guys' 6 step mids as well, but 50'+ sounds right to me.

That's great that you put mids down.

drcurran
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, USAT&F Official, PIAA Official

Marks

Unread postby drcurran » Wed May 31, 2006 8:05 am

Vaultref makes a good point. Don't know why anyone would use anything that does not "stick" to the track. Anything like a shoe, 1/2 tennis ball, small flag, cone, or whatever often gets kicked out of the way. Don't see that happen with tape. My .02 -- any GC or PV official who "only allows white tape" does not have the best interest of the athletes at heart, and is just trying to "throw his or her weight around". Any kind of tape should be allowed.

Dan

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: Marks

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed May 31, 2006 8:27 am

drcurran wrote:Vaultref makes a good point. Don't know why anyone would use anything that does not "stick" to the track.

Tape isn't always the most visible thing if you are trying to look at a speed mark, but yeah if it's not sticking, you had better either put something underneath that does stick, or know where your mark goes.

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Wed May 31, 2006 10:11 am

I also carry containers of brass/silver and colored tacks and various types of pins for the vaulter to use on damp surfaces. That helps secure a tape marker very well.

When I remember, I try to put in my bag some tongue depressors and/or a bag of short wooden sticks. The vaulters can mark them with a sharpie or with a flag like piece of tape. These can get kicked about, but on runways that are surrounded by grass with little to no room for tape, most of the time it's the only way a mark can be put down.

Chalk is also a marking material that is many times "banned" by those GC folks. I do try to discourage it's use mainly because it is hard to get up at the end of a meet.

I contacted the supplier about making up a 50' to 60' strip a few days ago, maybe they'll consider offering it. If not, I'll make my own somehow.

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Wed May 31, 2006 10:36 am

anybody else enjoy it when a tape(measuring variety) remains stretched out on the side of the runway during a comp. you even get to see what the actual distance is that your run moves back to during the meet.

even better is when they have distance markers permanently marked out on the runway. just measure once to doublecheck and everybody is good to go. this can especially help in those anal championship type meets where they limit the number of strips of tape, etc that you can use.

drcurran
PV Pro

Marks

Unread postby drcurran » Wed May 31, 2006 9:43 pm

Every place we go we put a tape down the side of the runway and it stays down for the duration of the meet. Athletes seem to really like that. I always suggest they check a mark (in close like at 12 feet) and be comfortable with how we have the tape down. Have never had a problem until this year at the Big Ten Champs in East Lansing, MI. For as long as I can remember measuring we have always measured from the back of the box at the top of the box. Mich. State had their take off marks (9-10-11-12-13-14) measured from the back of the box but from the BOTTOM of the box - makes almost a 3 to 4 inch difference. Does anyone measure from the bottom of the box? Only place I've ever seen it done this way.

Dan

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”