Pole Weight Differance

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

ebelizard
PV Newbie

Pole Weight Differance

Unread postby ebelizard » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:21 pm

Ive been using a UCS Spirit 13' 165 pole for the past season and get pretty good bend, so i decided to move up to a UCS 14'1" 175 pole......its much stiffer than i thought.

I also bought it brand new, so does it need to be broken in?
Or is it that its 10lbs heavier and not broken in that i cant bend it?
Goals set, Goals met

CrossBarHOpper
PV Pro

Unread postby CrossBarHOpper » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:31 pm

Wooo Hoo Poles dont ever need to be broken In!!!
hey guys! Abe Lincoln?
Sophmore PR 14'6"

VaulteRachello
PV Nerd

Unread postby VaulteRachello » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:46 pm

are you gripping at the top of the 175?? cuz if not it could feel more like a 185, depending on how far from the top you are.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:03 pm

Check out this chart...

http://www.skyjumpers.com/articles/reli ... _chart.htm

It's a BIG jump between those poles :confused: If possible, try and find one in between that you can borrow until you are ready for the bigger pole.

Otherwise, use your smaller pole from a shorter run, then try backing up to a longer run for the bigger pole.

ebelizard
PV Newbie

Unread postby ebelizard » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:36 pm

well i started to hold right at the top, right under the pink label, but my confidence failed, so i held almost a foot down, where i would normally hold on the 165, and i started to progress on that pole.......im really sore in my upper body, and i think im going to eventually work all the way up the pole in a few weeks
Goals set, Goals met

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:49 pm

ebelizard wrote:well i started to hold right at the top, right under the pink label, but my confidence failed, so i held almost a foot down, where i would normally hold on the 165, and i started to progress on that pole.......im really sore in my upper body, and i think im going to eventually work all the way up the pole in a few weeks

Yeah you can't just raise your grip a foot when you go to the next pole or you will stall out. Definitely start out gripping down on the longer pole, until you are landing deep in the pit.

ebelizard
PV Newbie

Unread postby ebelizard » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:48 pm

I kno its going to be hard, but i dont think its impossible to bend a 175 14'1".......it may take awhile
Goals set, Goals met

USMC Vaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby USMC Vaulter » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:58 pm

ebelizard wrote:I kno its going to be hard, but i dont think its impossible to bend a 175 14'1".......it may take awhile

Bending it isnt the point - the point is that jumping from a 13foot to a 14 foot pole, especially when you've never jumped on a 14 foot pole before, changes every aspect of the vault. You have to take off further back, it requires more speed and power at take off, more energy throughout the entire vault. The point that everyone is making is that its not healthy or good for your vaulting technique as a whole to jump up in poles like that. You also risk a great deal of injury (gettin rejected, not getting into the pit, etc). If you continue to use the new pole - make sure you dont grip any higher than your current grip on your old pole, until you are CONSISTANTLY getting into the pit.
Matthew Savini
DCHS Vault Coach
www.HighVaultage.com

VaultBrad
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultBrad » Sun May 01, 2005 10:07 pm

USMC Vaulter wrote:
ebelizard wrote:I kno its going to be hard, but i dont think its impossible to bend a 175 14'1".......it may take awhile

Bending it isnt the point - the point is that jumping from a 13foot to a 14 foot pole, especially when you've never jumped on a 14 foot pole before, changes every aspect of the vault. You have to take off further back, it requires more speed and power at take off, more energy throughout the entire vault. The point that everyone is making is that its not healthy or good for your vaulting technique as a whole to jump up in poles like that. You also risk a great deal of injury (gettin rejected, not getting into the pit, etc). If you continue to use the new pole - make sure you dont grip any higher than your current grip on your old pole, until you are CONSISTANTLY getting into the pit.

well said

ebelizard
PV Newbie

Unread postby ebelizard » Tue May 03, 2005 10:48 pm

USMC Vaulter,

I have jumped on a 14' pole before, and i do know what its like.....i understand your point about having speed and force, but i am a experienced vaulter. Your making it seem absolutely Impossible to jump on a 14' 175, which its not, and i have jumped on it, and havnt got rejected or hurt. What your saying about being rejected or hurt could technicly happen to anyone in vaulting.
Goals set, Goals met

USMC Vaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby USMC Vaulter » Tue May 03, 2005 10:56 pm

ebelizard wrote:USMC Vaulter,

I have jumped on a 14' pole before, and i do know what its like.....i understand your point about having speed and force, but i am a experienced vaulter. Your making it seem absolutely Impossible to jump on a 14' 175, which its not, and i have jumped on it, and havnt got rejected or hurt. What your saying about being rejected or hurt could technicly happen to anyone in vaulting.

Just so I can get a good mental picture, how high do you vault? Are you clearing well over your handhold? I'm not trying to start trouble, but most experienced vaulters dont word things the way that you are, and they arent so worried about 'bending' the pole. Most experienced vaulters also wouldnt jump up an entire foot in pole lenghts and another 10lbs of stiffness. I NEVER said that it wasnt possible to jump on the 14' pole - but you're still missing the point. Until your technique is ready for that size/stiffness, you dont NEED to get on the larger pole. And yes, it is true that anyone at any time could get rejected, but the odds increase considerably when you make large jumps in poles.in April you posted in the Technique section and stated that you were a 3rd year vaulter with an 11' PR, so I answered the post as I thought was best for a 3rd year vaulter with an 11 foot PR. (Here's the post I'm talking about)
We're only on here trying to help you out
Last edited by USMC Vaulter on Tue May 03, 2005 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew Savini

DCHS Vault Coach

www.HighVaultage.com

fong520
PV Pro

Unread postby fong520 » Wed May 04, 2005 6:32 pm

thats a huge jump.. i think a 14' 140 would be around the same?. i held at like 12'6 on a 13 65 and i went to a 14 35 adn 45, it wasnt that bad of a transition for me. and same handhold for them 2 also..
i run, therefore im buff.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”