Running Shoes

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

njvaulter
PV Whiz

Running Shoes

Unread postby njvaulter » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:40 pm

I need to get a new pair of running shoes for spring track. Does anyone have any recomendations on a good pair of running shoe.

jhesch
PV Pro

Unread postby jhesch » Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:24 pm

any idea what kind of running characterisitcs you have in terms of feet? for example, overpronation, low arch, what kind of mileage, etc.... either talk to someone at a running shoe store and ask them, or look at different shoe labels that have information such as good arch support, cushioning, torsion control, heel support., etc. depending on your needs. however, many store employees dont know much about shoes and try to make expensive sales since they get commission off shoes. check out some running shoe websites, almost all of them provide info on different shoes for different needs. last point that all can agree on- don't go most expensive but stay away from cheapest shoes. good price range- maybe $50-$90, but many good shoes on sale can be found for $30 or $40. and many shoes with different colors and 'gadgets' are just a waste of money. PM me if you need specific info.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:38 pm

If you can find a running store go there and have them look at your feet. Don't go to a place like Foot Locker, because you are not likely to find anyone knowledgable about running.

njvaulter
PV Whiz

Unread postby njvaulter » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:21 pm

I have I think Boe legged or something like that where my knees don't touch when im standing straight. Also I need arch support.

jhesch
PV Pro

Unread postby jhesch » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:41 pm

it does seem like anything to worry about, your "bowleggedness", my knees dont directly touch when standing straight either. if nothing else you might be overpronating (or is it under-pronating?) where the outside of your foot, specifically the heel either might be htting the ground significantly harder/earlier than the rest of your feet, therefore needing extra tread on outside. again, go to a shoe specialty store, inquire about your running shoe needs/running style, and see what they tell you. in terms of arch support, either get a shoe with it or you can also find dependable inserts...

Russ
PV Master

Unread postby Russ » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:53 pm

If you plan to vault in these shoes, I suggest making certain that you have adequate support. Let's face it, we occasionally make "emergency landings" on our feet. If you land on a hard surface coming down from 12 or 13 feet (or so?) you can damage a lot of bones, muscles, and soft tissue, etc. in your feet. Why not ensure that you've got adequate protection? A little over a year ago I stalled out and tore my plantar fascia (soft tissue in the arch and foot bottom) when I came down on the runway. It basically set me back about 9 months. Now I have a pair of pole-vault-specific spikes (mine are Nike...but Adidas, Mizuno, and Reebok also make pole vault-specific shoes with added cushioning and support) and I love them.

Be safe. Good luck.
Russ

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

fong520
PV Pro

Unread postby fong520 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:16 pm

hey russ do u kno of a site where they have these shoes or anything?.
so far the only shoe ive seen for pv is the black adn red one that says its for tj and pv ..
i run, therefore im buff.

njvaulter
PV Whiz

Unread postby njvaulter » Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:55 pm

I have the nike polevault spikes I just need a pair of shoes to practice running in.

Aviendha
PV Pro
Expertise: Current Collegiate Vaulter

Unread postby Aviendha » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:30 pm

again, to repeat what everyone else here has said....i went to a specialty shoe store, and they got me shoes that are meant for feet like mine (i have absolutely NO arch)....definitely could feel a difference in how i ran, and my feet didn't hurt near as much after practicing. shoes are a little heavier than other shoes i've gotten, but if it keeps my feet from dying, 's all good... :)
~Why does everyone prefer those who lie and make themselves less than they are, rather than those who embrace who they are, rejoice in it, and refuse to pretend anything less?

scubastevesgirly
PV Pro

Unread postby scubastevesgirly » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:43 am

I think this kinda fits here...i just didn't want to start a new topic and get yelled at by Becca :o

So...I've heard that it's not a bad idea to use cross training or trail running shoes for PV/training/lifting. Does anybody have a theory on that? I'm in the market for a new pair of shoes. My mizunos have treated me GREAT but after 2 yrs.(i know...that's too long), i'm startin' to feel the wear and tear.

Thanks!

fong520
PV Pro

Unread postby fong520 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:37 pm

hmm i think i read somewhere that its better to have shoes that have a flat bottom for lifting. i think like the indoor soccer shoes are good. iunno wat im talkin about and im prob completely wrong but iunno?. and yea def need new shoes heh.
i run, therefore im buff.

PVgoalie101
PV Pro

Unread postby PVgoalie101 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:53 am

flat bottom shoes are better for lifting...they help keep you feet firmly planted on the floor.
Save a pole, ride a vaulter

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”