The best spike for beginning pole vaulters...

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: The best spike for beginning pole vaulters...

Unread postby Barto » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:51 pm

Your heel always touches the ground. Trust me.
Facts, Not Fiction

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:02 pm

Since this issue is only slightly related to "the best spike for beginning pole vaulters...", I created a new thread in the Intermediate Technique forum. Let's discuss it there.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

xjoeyx
PV Whiz
Expertise: Current College Vaulter, BIG FAN
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson, Jeff Hartwig

Unread postby xjoeyx » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:23 pm

if you have a nike outlet or anything similar to that near you go there.. i got my 400 hurdle spikes for 10 bucks :D
"You can have confidence without success but you can't have success without confidence"

chasing6
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former Collegiate Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, Coach (all-levels), Die-Hard Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.23m

Unread postby chasing6 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:48 pm

Funny story:

I was recently approached by a HS vaulter who asked me why I wore relatively cheap asics spikes instead of the PVII. He said that Nikes make you jump higher. I proceeded down the runway and cleared a 16' soft bar on a 4 left, went back and told him i'd stick with the asics.

Moral of the story: It's not the shoes a vaulter wears, it's how high you jump while you're wearing them.
Whether you believe you can or cannot, you're right.

http://www.fiveringsproject.org

satishbhawra27
PV Newbie

Unread postby satishbhawra27 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:50 pm

Besides, you beginning high schoolers should all be doing other events like the sprints and horizontal jumps anyway. You can sprint in jump spikes just fine, but it is harder to jump in sprint spikes.

vaultLizz12
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 7'

Unread postby vaultLizz12 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:12 pm

My brother was a polevaulter borfore me for he highschool career and i actully used his spikes this year, luckly we're about the same size=) It actully saved me money so i can buy good ones next year :yes:
We put the POLE in the PIT ;)

Pink_Panther
PV Newbie
Expertise: Newbie vaulter
Lifetime Best: 3.60
Favorite Vaulter: Alison stokee

Unread postby Pink_Panther » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:47 pm

How do you guys rate these as a pole vault spike??

[urlhttp://www.sweatshop.co.uk/details.cfm?ProdId=6951][/url]

[urlhttp://www.onlineshoes.com/womens-asics-prima-diva-sprint-white-hot-pink-lime-p_id130808][/url]

http://barefootrunningshoes.org/sale/asics-hyper-rocketgirl-xc-spikes-stormhot-pinkwhite/

I am about to buy my first pair of spikes for years ... im stuck between these 3.

Rosie<3
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9'6"

Unread postby Rosie<3 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:40 pm

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive spike with more support? or enough room to put insoles in? I get shin splints easily because i have low arches so i need more supportive shoes/ insoles in shoes. My spikes now are too narrow to fit insoles in. They are mid-distant spikes. Any suggestions?

Mike Ritter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Mike Ritter » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:38 am

Nike Zoom Rival MD 6 - $30 at First to the Finish. Nice, inexpensive spike for the beginner.

MatthewSweet
PV Newbie
Expertise: High-school Vaulter @ 4.118M 3 years coaching
Lifetime Best: 14
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby MatthewSweet » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:58 pm

I love Mizuno's I know this is a beginner forum and all kids I coach are forbidden from spikes until they no longer straight pole inorder to preserve the pole from getting knicks. That's my 2 cents.

Ok, I love getting sprint spikes for comp because of the very large and stiff forefoot to midfoot plate that helps with running on the toes The majority of training each day you don't need to be in spikes. Moreover, jumping 2-3 days in sprinters spikes (including comp days) won't beat your shins up if you do the needed base (calf raises 4x20, stretching, running).

With that said I am a huge fan of Mizuno for more advanced vaulters 12ft+. I like their spike pattern and the cushioning in the heel.

I used to get the pole vault spikes and I guess they aren't makeing them for the us market this year and I can't find any in my size. I am looking at getting the long jump spikes and was wondering if anyone has any experience in them such as is there a difference in the toe box? Do I still need to order a .5 of a size larger? eq a 9 would order a 9.5. and I know the website has them looking exactly the same but I know from experience that the PV spike has the heel rise up in the back where the long jump ends flat.

Any feedback would be helpful.
Matt

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Unread postby botakatobi » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:15 pm

chasing6 wrote:Funny story:

I was recently approached by a HS vaulter who asked me why I wore relatively cheap asics spikes instead of the PVII. He said that Nikes make you jump higher. I proceeded down the runway and cleared a 16' soft bar on a 4 left, went back and told him i'd stick with the asics.

Moral of the story: It's not the shoes a vaulter wears, it's how high you jump while you're wearing them.

I agree.

I've seen Bob Seagren jump that height in flats.

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:38 pm

A beginning vaulter needs to spend their money on a fitted quality training flats. They do not need spikes. This last season at our girls sectional meet, the bar was at 7'6". A girl cleared the bar on her last attempt and caught a spike on the top mat which caused her to blown our her knee. Had to stop the meet and wait for paramedics to take her to the hospital. If she had been wearing flats, she would not have had this happen.
My rule of thumb is until a vaulter is opening at 9', they do not need spikes. A good pair of training flats will help avoid injuries like shin splints and other leg injuries.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”