I need a new helmet

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

ACvault
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

I need a new helmet

Unread postby ACvault » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:11 pm

First off, yes I used the search function and yes I went to polevaulthelmet.com but it seems I can't get that one. What I need is some reccomendations for a helmet that is obviously protective but I also need something that is not CLUNKY and that will fit well and stay in place. And it would help if it is a reasonable price as I would be buying it myself.

Purewrath
PV Newbie

Unread postby Purewrath » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:31 pm

I also went to their site and they re-directed me to a multi-helmet website and when i tryed to buy the pole vault helmet i couldnt find a way too

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:21 pm

Pro-Tec helmets are what I use..and I love 'em
http://www.pthelmets.com/products.asp?cat=10
http://www.pro-tec.net/

ACvault
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby ACvault » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:04 pm

do the pro-tec helmets fit well, as in are they clumsy or bulky or oversized?

PVgoalie101
PV Pro

Unread postby PVgoalie101 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:05 pm

i have a triple eight helmet that fits nicely, i just haven't a clue where it came from
Save a pole, ride a vaulter

theczar
PV Follower

Unread postby theczar » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm

ACvault wrote:do the pro-tec helmets fit well, as in are they clumsy or bulky or oversized?

yeah, my pro-tec fits perfectly for me. I don't even notice that I'm wearing it, but that just might be because I'm so used to it now.

superpipe
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, Club Coach, High School Coach, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Who else, Bubka.

Unread postby superpipe » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:48 pm

The "Classic" model from Pro-Tec has been the staple helmet for skateboarding since the beginning of time. It still is the best styled and most comfortable helmet on the market. Though, I see now, they changed the liner in it to the "hard" styrofoam that is in most helmets. The Bucky Lasek Classic still has the original soft foam liner. Not sure about the safety certification on the helmets.

Though I don't use a helmet for pole vaulting, I have used the Classic ( with the soft foam liner ) Pro-Tec helmet for skateboarding and snowboarding for the last 17 years. Nothing beats its styling and comfort, just like the website says.

I'm sure you can still find the soft foam liner one in stores.

Here's the website to check out the colors:
http://www.pro-tec.net/skate/skate.html

theczar
PV Follower

Unread postby theczar » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:15 pm

superpipe wrote:The "Classic" model from Pro-Tec has been the staple helmet for skateboarding since the beginning of time. It still is the best styled and most comfortable helmet on the market. Though, I see now, they changed the liner in it to the "hard" styrofoam that is in most helmets. The Bucky Lasek Classic still has the original soft foam liner. Not sure about the safety certification on the helmets.

Though I don't use a helmet for pole vaulting, I have used the Classic ( with the soft foam liner ) Pro-Tec helmet for skateboarding and snowboarding for the last 17 years. Nothing beats its styling and comfort, just like the website says.

I'm sure you can still find the soft foam liner one in stores.

Here's the website to check out the colors:
http://www.pro-tec.net/skate/skate.html

the soft foam liner is sooo much better in my opinioin. The hard liner is designed for high speed impact. At the higher speeds, the hard foam will compress and sometimes break. However, at lower speeds (like vaulting) the foam will not compress or break, so all of that energy still goes into your head. The soft foam on the other hand allows the plastic shell to bend, absorbing most of the impact, and the soft foam pads your head against the bending plastic. I've broken the plastic on pro-tec soft foam helmets (none from vaulting, all from skateboarding), but that was after reapeated use and probably from how I toss my helmet into the garage. So, the soft foam helmets are much more comfortable because they flex, and the rigid foam can have pressure points because it doesn't flex to fit your head better.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:01 pm

yeah you can still find the protec classic with a soft inner lining. just go to some local skate stores. its what i wear, fits great, doesn't move. A+
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”