Best Spike Remover

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

PV4Free
PV Beginner

Best Spike Remover

Unread postby PV4Free » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:15 pm

Has anyone found a tool that easily and efficiently removes spikes without stripping the tool or the spike itself? I hear that Asics makes the best wrenches but some people swear by pliers, and i have tried a crescent wrench with some success. Also, is there any rule as to how often to change your spikes so the threads do not get damaged? Thanks
Go Army! Beat Navy!

USMA 2011

1yeldud1
PV Pro

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:45 pm

Most factory tools are not very well built - they tend to round off the points and get the operator in a bad mood - the best thing I have found is a set of "micro" channel lock pliers. Go to the local auto parts store or the local hardware/farm store and try to locate these -- $10.00 to $17.00. These are a set of adjustable pliers that are about 5 inches long. These have worked for me 95% of the time to remove worn spikes. If I get a spike that is extremely stubborn I will take a file and file flats on its head to make a better "gripping" surface for the pliers. These plyers are adjustable letting the user apply a very considereable amount of pressure to the spikew points. Normally I check the points about once a week during the heaviest part of the season and change as needed. Any other suggestions

Maverick986
PV Fan

Unread postby Maverick986 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:42 am

i have an asics wrench and it works great....most of the time....i really only have problems when i get a spike that doesn't want to come out and since i think asics makes their tools w/ hardened or at least tempered steel it doesn't round out...it rounds the spike off....i know this b/c i tried opening up the hole in the tool to accommodate some larger spikes i bought for xc once and i couldn't get it to file open.....other than that if i get stubborn spikes i take a file to make better flats on them and use small vise grips to lock onto them and they come out in a jiffy...and sometimes the spike doesn't even need the filing...

as for when i change them...i just change them when they start getting worn down to the point where i feel i'm losing something in my run..but that’s me

RasmusWJ
PV Newbie

Unread postby RasmusWJ » Fri May 11, 2007 12:13 pm

Use the mizuno system!

PV4Free
PV Beginner

Unread postby PV4Free » Sat May 12, 2007 8:52 am

What is the mizuno system?
Go Army! Beat Navy!

USMA 2011

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Wed May 16, 2007 2:02 am

I find that pliers or a small pair of channel locks work the best for those stubborn ones.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”