GIVING A LECTURE ON POLES

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

GIVING A LECTURE ON POLES

Unread postby izzystikchik » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:31 pm

Hi all,

For my ARSC 10 class, a science class dumbed down for soon to be teachers, I am going to give a lecture on the kinestetics of pole vaulting.

I'm bringing in our guy's biggest pole and our girl's smallest.

I am going to admit to not knowing much about the composistion of pole vaulting poles only that they are made of fiber glass. But can someone explain to me what carbon poles are made of? I know they are made of carbon but is there anything else it is mixed with?

thanks a lot, i give the lecture tomorrow morning so any info will be greatly appreciated!

vaultwest
PV Whiz
Expertise: college coach, masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaultwest » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:28 pm

vaulting poles are made of prepreg fiberglass cloth, this is glass cloth of a few different weeves and tensile strengths that have had the resin forced into the cloth. this is different than how a lay person would buy fiberglass. you buy the cloth and then buy a two part resin system that you mix together to start a chemical reaction in the resin which is then painted, rolled or squeegeed into the cloth and once the resin sets up you have fiberglass. In the comercial prepreg glass heat and pressure are what cause the resin that is already in the cloth to cure.

Carbon poles are a mixture of carbon cloth and fiberglass prepreg.
hope that helps
Vault On

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:47 pm

thank you so much!!! ;)

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”