Vaulting Gloves?

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Re: Gloves in vaulting

Unread postby master » Tue May 30, 2006 4:09 pm

FreightTrain wrote:Interesting. I didn't even know gloves were ever allowed. Does anyone know what the NAIA rules are on this matter?

According to the NAIA Official Handbook and Policy Handbook quoted below, NCAA rules apply unless modified by NAIA coaches association. I don't know where you find out what modifications have been created.
XIV. OFFICIAL PLAYING RULES GOVERNING MEN'S PROGRAMS

Track & Field Official National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Track and Field/Cross Country Rules with NAIA-Track and Field Coaches Association approved modifications.
To obtain rules, contact: NCAA, P.O. Box 6222, Indianapolis, IN 46206-6222.

By the way, it isn't that I know these rules, I just look them up on the web.

- master

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue May 30, 2006 10:38 pm

I am pretty sure there are no NAIA modifications to the NCAA rules.

Although if you wear gloves, I would bring a copy of the rule book with you since most officials will probably assume they are illegal.

At indoor NAIA Nationals this year, there were a few new officials from the past few years. My teammates were capping my 12'6" poles, and the lady tried to tell them they couldn't hold above the weight band. I told her that was just a high school rule and she spent the next 10 minutes scouring the rule book.

Then they tried to call it a make when a guy displaced the bar from the pegs to the top of the standard.

Good times.

PV4Free
PV Beginner

Unread postby PV4Free » Wed May 31, 2006 5:25 pm

The only time I have ever seen a high school vaulter wearing a glove was at a dual meet this season. He was allowed to wear the glove, which resembled one for weightlifting, because he had blown off part of his hand earlier that year with a chlorine bomb. He was missing half his pinky finger and a good section of his palm had been grafted from his stomach. He told me that he was allowed to compete with it on because he brought a doctor's note to every meet and showed it to the official.
Go Army! Beat Navy!

USMA 2011

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed May 31, 2006 6:09 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:I am pretty sure there are no NAIA modifications to the NCAA rules.

Although if you wear gloves, I would bring a copy of the rule book with you since most officials will probably assume they are illegal.

At indoor NAIA Nationals this year, there were a few new officials from the past few years. My teammates were capping my 12'6" poles, and the lady tried to tell them they couldn't hold above the weight band. I told her that was just a high school rule and she spent the next 10 minutes scouring the rule book.

Then they tried to call it a make when a guy displaced the bar from the pegs to the top of the standard.

Good times.
and here i thought stupid officials were only found in high school duel meets!! lol thats terrible, it should be known by any vaulter that if the bar goes up a pegs its a miss.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed May 31, 2006 6:10 pm

PV4Free wrote:The only time I have ever seen a high school vaulter wearing a glove was at a dual meet this season. He was allowed to wear the glove, which resembled one for weightlifting, because he had blown off part of his hand earlier that year with a chlorine bomb. He was missing half his pinky finger and a good section of his palm had been grafted from his stomach. He told me that he was allowed to compete with it on because he brought a doctor's note to every meet and showed it to the official.
lol ew. Thats the majority of high school guy pole vaulters though, insane kids who blow their hands off.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

PV4Free
PV Beginner

Unread postby PV4Free » Wed May 31, 2006 9:36 pm

vault3rb0y wrote: lol ew. Thats the majority of high school guy pole vaulters though, insane kids who blow their hands off.

Please, speak for yourself vault3rb0y. But in talking to that kid he told me that several other kids in that town have done similar things. Including a girl who lit an M80 thinking it was a candle. :idea: Either there's nothing to do in that town or they're all really dumb.
Go Army! Beat Navy!

USMA 2011

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:37 pm

I wouldn't recommend vaulting in gloves. I've tried using receiver's gloves on a couple occasions when it was really cold only to have the gloves slip each time I tried doing a full vault.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”