What's in your pits?

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

VaultFreak
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultFreak » Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:18 am

Good old desert....
Pole Vaulters get high!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:18 pm

I am resurrecting my favorite thread :heart:

We took apart our second pit today in order to let the pads drain so we can take it inside.

Straight away we found a big black widow guarding too HUGE eggs! :eek: Luckily my teammate Brad killed them all for us.

We also found a big hole indicating some animal is burrowing under the pit/runway. Coach thinks it's chipmunks. And of course under the pits there was a large infestation of crickets, some more black widows, huge roaches, and the usual ants/earthworms/centipedes/etc.

Good times :yes:

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Darn varmets

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:32 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:I am resurrecting my favorite thread :heart:

We took apart our second pit today in order to let the pads drain so we can take it inside.

Straight away we found a big black widow guarding too HUGE eggs! :eek: Luckily my teammate Brad killed them all for us.

We also found a big hole indicating some animal is burrowing under the pit/runway. Coach thinks it's chipmunks. And of course under the pits there was a large infestation of crickets, some more black widows, huge roaches, and the usual ants/earthworms/centipedes/etc.

Good times :yes:

Yes you can find varmets in the skins. For good maintanence make sure every year you turn the base units upside down
and let them drain as well as air out.

We have mostly seen rabbits making habitat, and they will burrow a large dome inside the base unit, thus the landing is not supported by any foam or structure. You should always open and look in your pits to make sure this has not happened
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

tim hutzley
PV Pro

Unread postby tim hutzley » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:10 pm

the pit we have at my coaches house used to be surrounded by all kinds of different ants but he moved it to another part of his yard so im not sure whats over there. Probably more ants.

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:57 pm

I saw a 3' long Rat Snake under my pit about a month or two ago. I've also had this cool lizard about 6" long crawling around my left standard. Always fire ants digging under my runway too. :eek:
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Under the pit

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:40 pm

Don Hood has had whole families of kittens under his pit when we've been there :D
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19
The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:47 pm

FHS's old pits used to have burrows in them...small ones too, so I'm thinking mice...

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:13 pm

I find frogs around our pit all the time, I accidentally planted a pole on one once....not a good day for him.

theflyingkorean
PV Follower

Unread postby theflyingkorean » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:27 pm

We had a giant toad! This thing was so huge...it was as big as my like two hands put together in fists! And my hands aren't small! Also, we have tons of blackwidows and we had like a bobcat or something :dazed:

batvaulter
PV Fan

Unread postby batvaulter » Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:29 am

a dead rat a flea's and pit s*** the stuff that flys up and lands in ur eyes when you fall

superchau88
PV Nerd

Unread postby superchau88 » Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:40 pm

two kids had sex on our pads :crying:

thank god we're getting new ones soon!!

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

True Olympic Story

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:53 am

superchau88 wrote:two kids had sex on our pads :crying:

thank god we're getting new ones soon!!

OK OK I got to tell you this one

This is a true story.
I was in charge of the technicians and getting the Olympic Pits and equipment in place and broken down at the 1996 Olympic Games.
One night the High Jump went very late and they were going to have the event the next day so we covered the two High Jump Pits with a weather cover and left them out.

The next day I was astonished to find several (4) prophylactics lying around the each of the two High Jump Pits. I was furious as the security was suppose to keep people out of the area at all times. When security arrived to surmise the situation they two were very upset that someone had broken through their secure area but had also participated in sex on the high jump pits. This was a very big thing at the time. But all was hush hush and the promise by security to make sure it does not happen again. Not only was I mad that they got through the security but also that someone was able to participate 8 times on our new Olympic Pits?????

About an hour before the next High jump event, the media had set up camp and positioned their cameras and sound gear. A guy stopped down to adjust the microphones and reached into his pocket and pulled out a prophylactic package, opened it and slipped it on the microphones. This is how the media kept moisture off the microphones and made them water proof. I just shook my head and walked off to tell security that it had been a false alarm. LOL
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”