Pole Weight Differance

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

science geek
PV Whiz
Expertise: HS Coach, occasional beginning vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9' 6
Favorite Vaulter: Crash

Unread postby science geek » Mon May 23, 2005 12:21 pm

I would agree that this is a huge jump, a foot in length is equivalent to 10 to 20 pounds depending on who you ask. You also added 10 pounds in weight. This can be a quick transition, but in a good pole progression this would be equivalent to a 5 pole jump. it would be good to start on a 14' 155 if you have one, and then work your way back up by increasing weights. If you don't have that option and you are not able to bend the pole as you say (your words, not mine) i would suggest shortening your approach on the 13' pole until you can either get more poles that make the change smaller or until you can max out the standards from like a 5 step approach (counting only your jumping foot). Good luck

freshmanvaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby freshmanvaulter » Tue May 24, 2005 12:01 am

bull crap, I went from a altius 150 to a altius 160 and it was stiff as hell, The first 5 times I had to just drive in and stay long, you could hear it stretch out I was scared. But after that day it was soft as butter. That proves poles can be broken in.

indestructo
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Former College Coach, Current High School Coach, Post-Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'6"

Unread postby indestructo » Tue May 24, 2005 8:18 am

bull crap, I went from a altius 150 to a altius 160 and it was stiff as hell, The first 5 times I had to just drive in and stay long, you could hear it stretch out I was scared. But after that day it was soft as butter. That proves poles can be broken in.

Poles never need to be broken in. Here's another thing to consider. Could it possibly be that the first 5 times you jumped on it that your confidence wasn't too strong, but after that you started to get more comfortable???
"Heart"

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Tue May 24, 2005 12:42 pm

indestructo wrote:
freshmanvaulter wrote:bull crap, I went from a altius 150 to a altius 160 and it was stiff as hell, The first 5 times I had to just drive in and stay long, you could hear it stretch out I was scared. But after that day it was soft as butter. That proves poles can be broken in.

Poles never need to be broken in. Here's another thing to consider. Could it possibly be that the first 5 times you jumped on it that your confidence wasn't too strong, but after that you started to get more comfortable???

indestructo, your reply was so polite and controlled. How do you do it? ;) Did you note his name and number of posts?

indestructo
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Former College Coach, Current High School Coach, Post-Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'6"

Unread postby indestructo » Tue May 24, 2005 1:38 pm

the # of posts was glaringly obvious..... ;)

My thoughts were much more harsh then what I replied with. In my few short years of coaching I've picked up a bit of knowledge on the psychy of young vaulters, and the surprisingly similar theories that just about every young vaulter has..... And I've come up with only one concrete solution...

Patience is a virtue...
"Heart"

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue May 24, 2005 3:28 pm

Yep, Quite often it's the young vaulter's confidence that needs to be "broken in" on a new pole.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

freshmanvaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby freshmanvaulter » Tue May 24, 2005 3:49 pm

I not a new vaulter ive been vaulting for three years now and am not scared of going 10 pounds up a pole. And Im not the only one who heard it stretch out.

C-townvault
PV Whiz

Unread postby C-townvault » Tue May 24, 2005 9:11 pm

I not a new vaulter ive been vaulting for three years now

Most of these older guys on here have forgotten and relearned more than you currently know about vaulting. I suggest listening to them.

Apparently some of them know what they are talking about ;)

CrossBarHOpper
PV Pro

Unread postby CrossBarHOpper » Tue May 24, 2005 11:56 pm

OK here one i dont get i was vaulting on a 12 '4 essx 136 and Then went to a 13' 140 essx and i blow throught the 13 140 mnore then the 12'4 136
wats with that
hey guys! Abe Lincoln?
Sophmore PR 14'6"

ECVaulter
PV Fan

Unread postby ECVaulter » Wed May 25, 2005 12:03 am

What are the flexs on each of the poles?
"Where are my shoes? Thats it, im going out shoeless."

"Thai chili."

CrossBarHOpper
PV Pro

Unread postby CrossBarHOpper » Wed May 25, 2005 12:12 am

18. something on the 12'4 and a 20.1 i think on the 13
hey guys! Abe Lincoln?

Sophmore PR 14'6"

ECVaulter
PV Fan

Unread postby ECVaulter » Wed May 25, 2005 2:06 am

well the 13 has a higher flex so it is not as stiff as the 12-4 is.
"Where are my shoes? Thats it, im going out shoeless."

"Thai chili."

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”