Any of you old Geezers (like me) Remember Cloud 9's?

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

Leap-in-Sky
PV Newbie

Unread postby Leap-in-Sky » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:18 pm

souleman wrote:Leap, as it turned out I passed on the idea of the cloud nine and ended up with the setup I have now. You can see it at http://www.bubbapv.com/Pages/BYVault-Mike.htm

The funny thing is when I was in high school, we'd vault at UW River Falls for conference and sectionals. They had a Cloud 9 and I loved it. I think that's because I went straight up and straight down always in the middle. Not only that but it sure beat the heck out of the stuffed bags of foam we had at our high school and that damned 2 X 6 at the front of the pit that if I came up short I'd hit on the way down with my heels...(OUCH). Come to think of it, that's probably where I got my fractured L5 from. No, I'm pretty happy with the foam pit I have now. Later..............Mike

Geez, I just realized I resurrected your thread from 2004. For some reason I thought it was more recent - oh well - new guy here. :o Glad to hear you passed on the cloud nine idea. Your backyard setup is definitely a field of dreams - Very Nice! Yeah, we also had those stuffed bags of foam in HS, and three layers of used tires underneath as shock absorbers.

Thanks,

- Leap-in-Sky

2-15-46
PV Pro

Unread postby 2-15-46 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:44 pm

had one 20 some yrs ago, the local school gave me when my son was jumping..... we had the kids rope vault into it..............pain in the butt to put away!!!!!!!
Bob

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Any of you old Geezers (like me) Remember Cloud 9's?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:33 am

Someone is trying to bring back the Cloud 9-style pit... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDkw2YD4qck

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Unread postby Decamouse » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:17 pm

Kohler HS in Wisconsin had one in 1972-1973 - also a grasstex all weather track - school had about 250 kids total --- more to that story --
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

bdc629
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Master Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.18
Favorite Vaulter: Dave Clark

Unread postby bdc629 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:45 pm

My Dad, Dave Clark 1960 Olympian, had one at our house....when we were little he have vaulters come over to jump and we learned that if sat on the corner of it when they landed it would bounce us up in the air a few feet...of course it hurt like heck when we landed back down off the pit... I actually still have the sales brochure for them when he was selling them....

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”