Video Recording Systems?

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: Video Recording Systems?

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:17 pm

@sidpalas, I just press the "record" button manually. how does the open source software you're using work? if i could use a remote to start the recording that would be much better

sidpalas
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, (Volunteer) College Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.85m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby sidpalas » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:25 pm

The software I am using required some modifications to make everything work, but now it is running great!

At first I tried using an IR remote with a usb receiver which gave me about a 25 ft range, but I had to point the remote at the receiver which got quite annoying after a few jumps. I upgraded to an RF presentation remote and am now getting a 60ft range and no longer have to point it at the computer. Whenever one of my athletes begins their approach, I press the button and it records for 7 seconds. I'm doing this in Linux because that is what I am more familiar with. I am not sure how this would be accomplished in Windows (I'm sure it could be done, it might just take a bit more programming -- if you are interested I will look into it). Having this kind of range is great because it allows me to move around and do all the things I normally would as a coach and still catch all of the jumps on video.

I feel like in order for a system like this to be adopted by more coaches, the amount of annoyance it causes (having to stay at the computer and manually press record is a good example of such an annoyance) needs to be practically zero.

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Unread postby cdmilton » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:13 pm

Sounds pretty good. What kind of specs are you finding with your webcam? How high FPS can you find?
Chris Milton

sidpalas
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, (Volunteer) College Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.85m
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby sidpalas » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:46 pm

I'm using the PS3 eye camera. These cameras were designed for motion tracking applications with the PS3 Move system so they are great for recording the vault. The output is 640x480 at 60 FPS. While it is not HD, it is plenty clear to review vaults and I consciously chose the high framerate over higher resolution (with USB 2.0 webcams you can't really get both due to data throughput limitations). I would be interested to see how @LHSpolevault's HD camera does. I also just ordered some additional lenses for my camera so I can play with different focal lengths / F.o.V. (the stock lenses can be set to either 56 or 75 degree field of view).

Cheers!

dnike13
PV Wannabe

Unread postby dnike13 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:04 pm

I downloaded an app called "The coaches eye" for the iPhone, have also seen people use the iPad with the camera. It's a 5 dollar app but worth every penny as you have instant frame by frame to show your athlete at practice. You can also e-mail the video to yourself or post it on youtube, but I prefer the on the phone version best.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”