Safety

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower
Expertise: Current college decathlete
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:40 pm

WillinghamPV wrote:
txpolevaulter_k25 wrote:
MightyMouse wrote:
txpolevaulter_k25 wrote:that would be a good rule except, are you thinking about the times you might blow though a pole, have a bad plant, etc... that could affect just one vault, and make you land deep, or off to the side, so why DQ somebody that had one bad jump when the others are good jumps? Say you go up and something doesn't feel right and you bail, or you land shallow on the pit after a jump, that would be another DQ, or the weather could also affect a vault, strong face wind you land shallow, strong cross wind you will land closer to the edge, no matter how you see it there are so many ways to mess up and only 1 way to do it correctly and 1 bad jump shouldn't count as a direct DQ, just as a miss, that is how i see it, and if a vaulter is having a bad day and just not doing good they should scratch him/her self out of the event

You should be able to vault in wind, rain, or other conditions safely. You have to take that all into account before you pick up a pole, its part of the event. I think it should be a warning and then DQ

i would agree more with a warning and then a dq other than automatic dq, that is much better, and about the wind and stuff most high schools dont have a very large pole supply especially 1A i have 2 poles i can vault on they are still not the right poles for me

You obviously didn't read very closely, as the idea was first infraction is a WARNING. Second infraction would count as a SCRATCH. And third infraction would result in DQ. Lets say, in your example, a vaulter blows through their pole and bails out of a jump. Unless the vaulter is on a pole 20 lbs lighter than what they usually jump on, they will probably still land with their center of mass in the coaches box, it will just be at the back of it. If a vaulter flies completely over this portion of the pit, then they obviously had no business being on that particular pole in the first place and are competing recklessly.

the first post that said anything like that was willinghampv, it was not in the original post, i was the one that got thrown off the pit and from that experiance i think i know what i am talking about, and if they do bail sometimes they will just go up and come back down, that is just what happens sometimes like if they dont jump good enough or somthing else that could affect it, just letting you know not saying you are wrong or anything, i am just speaking my mind
"Bravery is the ability to get the job done when you are scared to death."

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”