New Nike Spikes (now available)

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower
Expertise: Current college decathlete
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Fri May 25, 2007 11:47 pm

bel142 wrote:The new ones look hot... All in all i think nike stuff isn't made all that well, but i do enjoy their products.

that does seem true, but all their stuff always looks cool and is surprisingly comfortable
"Bravery is the ability to get the job done when you are scared to death."

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Fri May 25, 2007 11:51 pm

and we should face it nearly half of the pole vault is looking cool...

txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Sat May 26, 2007 12:00 am

bel142 wrote:and we should face it nearly half of the pole vault is looking cool...

i agree, but im sure there will be somebody to oppose this, but if you think about it, you jump good when you feel good right? So therefore if you feel good about the way you look you should preform better, thats what i always say when people ask me why i clean my shoes, pole, keep the tape nice, etc... i get funny looks when i have a towel and and wiping my pole up and down with it, (think about it lol)

newPVer
PV Pro

Unread postby newPVer » Sat May 26, 2007 2:18 am

they make their products, cheaply, but thats y they're lite, and thats y the feel soo good. once you go nike, you dont go back...
PR- 15-1
Great season, time to top it

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Sat May 26, 2007 3:40 am

I have a pair of the old orange nike pv spikes I got from a buddy, and those things are darn near indestructible. One of the zippers broke, but they won't die. I got a new pair of old Puma pv/jump spikes off of eBay and the things lasted maybe a month before the spike plate and heel on BOTH spikes ripped right off the shoe... :confused:
What have you done today to get better?

Purewrath
PV Newbie

Unread postby Purewrath » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:08 pm

do we have any clue was to the pricing of the new lites?

apsully
PV Fan

Unread postby apsully » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:03 pm

newPVer wrote:they make their products, cheaply, but thats y they're lite, and thats y the feel soo good. once you go nike, you dont go back...

Haha, I love this one. Lemme finish it for you form my experience.

".....until you end up with a broken navicular after wearing the shoes for a season, then later find out that at least 3-6 other athelets have had the same problem"

Ha, not trying to bash Nike at all, but that made me laugh. I do have to say, though, that the pv lites are comfortable as hell. It's like wearing velcro socks, haha.

Hopefully this new model will be quite a bit stiffer in the spike plate.
"Grip it 'n' rip it"

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:35 pm

I have a pair of the new PV Lites and they are pretty sweet. I will have to dig out the old pair I have and compare them for you all.

txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:37 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:I have a pair of the new PV Lites and they are pretty sweet. I will have to dig out the old pair I have and compare them for you all.

lucky

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:33 pm

Purewrath wrote:do we have any clue was to the pricing of the new lites?
Well i bought a pair of the first model for 115.... probably the new ones will go for 120+.

They had pairs at reno too, just showing them off next to the other spikes they were selling. I was tempted to just grab a pair and run the last day!! LOL Then make everyone else jealous during the outdoor season.

Any chance that, if the spikes are available at Nike Indoor, top 6 or 4 or whatever it was will be able to pick a pair again this year? Or are they doing "random" giveaways like last year.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:16 am

vault3rb0y wrote:
Purewrath wrote:do we have any clue was to the pricing of the new lites?
Well i bought a pair of the first model for 115.... probably the new ones will go for 120+.

They had pairs at reno too, just showing them off next to the other spikes they were selling. I was tempted to just grab a pair and run the last day!! LOL Then make everyone else jealous during the outdoor season.

Any chance that, if the spikes are available at Nike Indoor, top 6 or 4 or whatever it was will be able to pick a pair again this year? Or are they doing "random" giveaways like last year.

If they gave them to the top 6 or 4, that could be seen as "paying" the top athletes there. The NCAA could have a problem with that and remove your amateur status (which is sorta important if you want to jump in college)

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:31 am

SKOT wrote:If they gave them to the top 6 or 4, that could be seen as "paying" the top athletes there. The NCAA could have a problem with that and remove your amateur status (which is sorta important if you want to jump in college)

No it's not. It is perfectly acceptable. Anyway, larger college meets used to give "prizes"...watches, shirts, duffle bags, etc. to top finishers. Since track is now poor, I dunno if that's still the case.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”