poles on planes

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

payne1
PV Newbie

poles on planes

Unread postby payne1 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:50 pm

What size planes will American Airlines take poles on and how much do they charge these days.

BP

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:10 pm

"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:18 pm

Any info on airlines that are not listed? what would anyone suggest? just calling them?

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:54 pm

bel142 wrote:Any info on airlines that are not listed? what would anyone suggest? just calling them?

Yep, call them. Don't be surprised if you have to explain what pole vault poles are!
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:42 am

bel142 wrote:Any info on airlines that are not listed? what would anyone suggest? just calling them?

Call them and email me and tell me what they say.

I have a lot of updates to make on that section of the site, hopefuly I get around to it soon.

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:26 pm

I have flown USAir and SkyBlue, and depending on the airport, the both flew 16'+ pole bags for free or a small oversize charge.
When the poles wouldn't fit on the plane that we were taking, both companies held onto the poles and put them on the next plane going to the same location in which the poles would fit for free. They actually delivered them to the hotel we were at for free when they got there. Not bad.
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”