taping rules

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

efhspolevaulter91
PV Wannabe

taping rules

Unread postby efhspolevaulter91 » Mon May 01, 2006 11:41 pm

does anyone know if you are alowd to have rolled tape in ridges on your pole for grip in high school? regionals are coming this week and i dont want to have to be DQed
kick to the sky

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Mon May 01, 2006 11:45 pm

no you can;t......I believe that is it no more than 2 layers think is the rule....but if you are trying to make ridges, then you are asking to get DQ'ed
Man Up and Jump

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: taping rules

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon May 01, 2006 11:45 pm

efhspolevaulter91 wrote:does anyone know if you are alowd to have rolled tape in ridges on your pole for grip in high school? regionals are coming this week and i dont want to have to be DQed

No you are not allowed to do that. The tape has to be smooth and only two layers thick.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Mon May 01, 2006 11:48 pm

becca wasn't quick enough on the keyboard with that one....I posted it a matter of seconds before her.
Man Up and Jump

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon May 01, 2006 11:49 pm

VaultMarq26 wrote:becca wasn't quick enough on the keyboard with that one....I posted it a matter of seconds before her.

:crying:

polevaulter08nw
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Tue May 02, 2006 7:36 am

haha, they are right with the tap, but that was really funny, with you beating becca to the post!
PR: 5.40
Indiana University '13
University of North Carolina '12

Darth Vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Former High School Vaulter, Masters Vaulter

Unread postby Darth Vaulter » Tue May 02, 2006 12:45 pm

If you are trying to keep your hand from sliding, try Gamma Grip tennis racquet grip tape. It comes in green and blue and can be found at most tennis shops as well as at places like Dunhams and Sportmart. It has a thin, tacky gauze-like texture and works great vaulting poles. It adheres to itself and to the pole and is "tape" so it meets the definition in the rule book. Wrap a single layer from the bottom up so it doesn't roll into ridges. One roll is enopugh to cover the whole handgrip area. A roll costs about $2. Good luck.
May the Force be with you!

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Tue May 02, 2006 1:06 pm

Here's what I don't understand about these tape rules. You can spray or stick pretty much anything to your hands and tape, but you can't have rolled edges on the tape because it gives the vaulter an unfair advantage.......

jeez...gotta love the interpetations by the rule nazis on that one....
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

pool_man_007
PV Fan

Unread postby pool_man_007 » Tue May 02, 2006 3:43 pm

Stickum(spelling?) or chalk work just fine, and these are both entirely legal, so u dont have to bother with anything else :)
---------grip it and rip it---------
*~DANGER HIGH VAULTAGE~*

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Tue May 02, 2006 3:55 pm

pool_man_007 wrote:Stickum(spelling?) or chalk work just fine, and these are both entirely legal, so u dont have to bother with anything else :)

i dont know, but chalk without tape might make the pole difficult to grip :P

i have seen people use nothing but a bare hand and the pole. no chalk, tape, sticky, nothing.

Texasvaulter07
PV Whiz

Unread postby Texasvaulter07 » Tue May 02, 2006 4:57 pm

i dont tape my bottom hand grip. :D
Vault Old School wrote:Hey I was just wondering if anybody out there knew Bubka's Height, Weight, Body Fat%, etc. when he was competing?

bjvando wrote:i heard he was 7 ft tall, with a negative body-fat percentage......

bayouvaulter
PV Nerd

Unread postby bayouvaulter » Wed May 03, 2006 12:26 am

Yes I have to agree with most that the tape rule is there just so someone feels like that have made a contribution to pole vaulting!! At least in their eyes they have. What unfair advantage is it if all have the opportunity to do it. When I was in college, mid 70's, I had a team mate from texas, Randy Adair that used black cloth electrical tape and then poured lightier fluid on it. Now thats sticky. I have noticed that Yelena Isinbayeva seems to do the same thing. Guess Randy was on to something back then. :D I always liked tapeing my pole from the top down which does make the tape have slight ridges in it. Guess I'm an outlaw at heart O:-) TexasVauler07 I also don't use tape on my bottom hand ,so I pass a rule and we'll call it the Texas-BayouVaultero7 rule, anyone useing tape on bottom hand will be DQed!! We have a rule that each vaulter has to have a vaulter certification form filled out and signed by the principle, AD, and coach to verify that your vaulter is jumping on legel poles according to their weight or he will be DQed. That I have no problem with. But here's the kicker, from district on to state you have to give the meet offical the signed form...then the athlete has to be weighted and the poles checked. Missing either and the vaulter will be DQed. I can't understand for the life of me why both, seems like one or the other would be enough. Either weigh them and check the poles or use the certification forms.Maybe it's that they don't believe that the school administators are honest in louisiana. I guess with a mind set like that is part of the reason tack meets have become marathons. Guess I've opened up my heart enough for one day :o
I know most are getting ready for state meets...I wish all vaulters and coaches the best of luck, jump high and stay safe...hope none are DQed because of some stupid tape rule!!!

GOOD LUCK!!
There's No Ceiling On Effort!!

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”